PDA

View Full Version : Is my box dead ?

Skitts
02-09-14, 22:16
Vu+ Duo.
Went tonight to "Software Update", ran it, found 176 updates.
I did a full image backup then ran the updater, it backed up again.
Screen message "box is rebooting etc "
Now it's stuck !

Red Light on left, starts up,"Starting....." and sits there nothing happening.

Don't mind redoing image so I downloaded lastest Apollo V 28 from openvix.
Used USB bootloader, "Reading USB" didn't get the usual message after a second or two....something flashes on display but too quick to read. it then "Starting....."
Thinking it may have been that fast I then tried to load the new image from USB...same error. "Reading USB" then to "Starting...."

Is my box now a worthless pile of junk ?

Not even a year old, bought new from recommended suppliers - surely a software update through the box shouldn't kill it !

Any advice/help much appreciated.
:-)
:mad::mad:

Larry-G
02-09-14, 22:45
you say bought from recommended suppliers but do you mind me asking who and for how much ?, Just trying to establish if the receiver is a clone or not. also which exact image was on the receiver when you initiated the update ?.

Skitts
02-09-14, 22:55
Thanks for the reply Pheonix.
I purchased from World of satellite (http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/) as recommended here. June. Paid £ 209 + delievry.
I had already been stitched by an ebay seller on a clone machine so wanted a good box and a good supplier/

VIX Image on the box was/is Vix 23

I wasn't updating VIX though, just the "Software Updater" through MENU, hadn't gone into VIX menu at all.

judge
02-09-14, 23:04
Very unlikely the box is dead.
Fresh flash by correctly formatted USB & correct image structure on USB & all should be sorted.

Larry-G
02-09-14, 23:07
As the receiver was bought from the sponsor you can be assured that it is genuine, so we can get that part out of the way. by ViX 23 I assume you mean OpenViX Apollo build 023 as there is no such thing as ViX 23 (I am being pedantic I know but it's best to get facts strait first time).

You say you did not update the image but used the software update ?, thats exactly what the software updated does, it updates the image to the latest version, but as posted here many times due to a OE-A core update and in the case of the Vu+ receivers and others a kernel and driver update too, you needed to do a full reflash and not a online update.

All I can really suggest at this moment in time is to leave the receiver powered off for a while (unplugged) then come back to it with a fresh head, maybe in the morning. flash the latest bootloader from our download site (www.openvix.co.uk) then flash the image again. if need be try a few different USB sticks as well.

Sicilian
03-09-14, 07:26
Your where on Build 023, did you actually bother to read this force read thread that ALL members have been forced to read?? http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?40021-IMPORTANT!-Build-025-requires-a-fresh-re-flash-and-setup!

Skitts
03-09-14, 08:56
Nice post there Sicilian, must be nice to sit on high and look down on us mere mortals.
I read the sticky's I read the forced messages.
Maybe next time you can be condescending and critical after providing some help rather than be so judgemental.

What is unclear in any of the information regarding the update menu, is this, Software Update has its own section in the menu as does VIX. Now, call me a newbie or whatever you want but I wasn't aware I was updating VIX by choosing software updater, surely that was in the VIX menu. I was running it to check for updates to plugins,etc.

So, my bad, I'll live with it, and thanks to other posters and the nice people at World of Satellite website support, have some things to try today to help fix the box.

Larry-G
03-09-14, 14:35
Ok back to the point of this thread. Have you managed to get the receiver to boot up ?.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Skitts
03-09-14, 18:48
Ok, with help and advise from the nice folks at www.worldofsatellite.co.uk box is now up and running again.
It wasn't reading the usb correctly.
Two USB tried both large capacities ones. WOS advised me to use a max size one of 8Gb, I purchased one today (A Sandisk Cruzer - as was one of the ones mentioned in the thread about usb sticks that work with the box - see Sicilian I do read threads :p )
I'll remember to check forums before any updates in future and have learned a lesson, thankfully not an expensive one.
:cool::thumbsup:

Larry-G
03-09-14, 18:50
I am very happy to hear that you have resolved the issue and your receiver is again working, and Thank you for keeping us updated.