PDA

View Full Version : Pile of Junk

TheRealMike
31-08-14, 14:48
I have struggled with a TM-Twin-OE for a year or so. My advice is don't buy one. They are a pile of junk. Unstable and unreliable. Mine is now refusing to move the motor, another receiver has no issues. I have just thrown it across the room and next place will be the recycling. Its £200 wasted...

gilvey
31-08-14, 15:31
Why what was it doing, or not doing?

TheRealMike
31-08-14, 16:27
Why what was it doing, or not doing?

I tried to connect it to a known working motorised dish but it refuses to move it. A TM9100 and even a WS6979 are happy with this dish so the fault is most certainly within the TM-Twin. It does not work with stock firmware or recent VIX.

Basically, this receiver is unreliable. It always has been, even with the original firmware. It crashes on a regular basis, even when in standby, without any add-ins. There is no way it has ever been stable enough to use as a PVR. It runs hot too, even with the FAN on a high setting.

Having now looked inside again, to remove my hard disk before scrapping, I can see the build quality is poor in several areas. The main board looks good but the power supply shows clear signs of poor build quality and components improperly rated, e.g. PCB browning around components getting too hot.

Previously, I had trouble and put it down to a faulty LNB. A different LNB worked but now I think it is much more likely to be the poor quality power supply not supplying stable supplies to the rest of the unit. That would explain the random crashes in standby and why it does not move the motor.

Its definitely a never again for Technomate for me. Not so much the waste of money but the waste of time and frustration the company caused by producing this junk hardware. I am wondering what might be a better quality receiver.

Mike

nsw9154
31-08-14, 16:44
it really depends on what you need the Receiver for do you want 1-2 -3 or 4 tuners for just Satellite if you only need 2 tuners the best one to get is the VU+Solo2
if you need 4 tuners I can Recommend the Golden Interstar XPEED LX3 it has 2 fixed and 2 removable tuners and is up their with the Duo2 in my own opinion as I also have a Duo2

kegnkiwi
31-08-14, 18:34
I have been using the tmtwin for a couple of years and its a great box, make sure you boot loader is correct for the images your using personally I used openatv 4.1 and its pretty stable. I've have no issues moving a 1m dish any where from 56e to 45w. The main use on my box is tsmedia and downloading movies straight to the hd and it works a charm shame your having such problems as most people think it's a fantastic box.

TK4|2|1
31-08-14, 18:48
Before you scrap it, put it in a box and mail it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billy2222
01-09-14, 21:59
I will buy it if you want to sell it? need one for the bedroom

Larry-G
01-09-14, 22:04
I will buy it if you want to sell it? need one for the bedroom

I would not, especially if he has as described thrown it across the room. on another note my own TM-Twin works perfectly fine controlling my TM2600 motor and a 80 cm dish.

judge
01-09-14, 22:15
Having now looked inside again, to remove my hard disk before scrapping, I can see the build quality is poor in several areas.

Nothing wrong with the build quality of any of TMs. They might not be the prettiest of boxes, but their build quality it top notch.

Larry-G
01-09-14, 22:37
Nothing wrong with the build quality of any of TMs. They might not be the prettiest of boxes, but their build quality it top notch.

Thats actually one of the very few areas where other manufacturers can not compete with TM in my opinion, they might not know their arse from their elbows when it comes to drivers but when it comes to hardware build quality, they are seldom outdone.

nipperlocko
23-09-14, 16:13
I too agree with most of the replies on here, my TM-Twin has been a superb box and have installed it for several mates whom in turn have had no problems at all, mine also moves a 1 metre dish using vhanibals settings again no problems at all, so it could be non correct set up maybe

TheRealMike
29-09-14, 21:38
I thought so to based on forum comments but opening it up and looking at the psu board revised my opinion. They had a skip for small electrical devices at my local centre and I would not impose it on anyone else, it's junk, pure junk and a waste of time.

Now what to replace it with?

Mike