PDA

View Full Version : Anyway of telling the bootloader version please

Ojustaboo
30-08-14, 15:10
Hi all is there anyway if me telling which bootloader version my Quad is using please?

Been asked to try a particular one, it seemed to flash, but not totally sure, hence would like to double check.

pooface
31-08-14, 08:59
Pretty sure this shows via boot logs. You will need an rs232 null modem cable to connect and check...

Larry-G
31-08-14, 09:12
yes a bootlog would show the bootloader version, in fact I think it's the only way.

Ojustaboo
31-08-14, 12:46
Thanks, was hoping I could get a cable today and double check I have the right bootloader.

But cables only 50p from world-of-satellite, only retail place I can find is maplin and they want £18

Edit, just checked PC, no port anyway

Ojustaboo
31-08-14, 13:47
Talking crap as usual.

Pin connector on mb for serial.

Joe_90
31-08-14, 14:17
If you have a doubt, why not just flash the bootloader again? If you need to connect a serial cable (null modem) to a modern PC or laptop you will have to purchase an RS232 usb dongle of some sort - more expense!

Ojustaboo
31-08-14, 14:49
True. Do I have to reflash ViX after?

Thanks

Stanman
31-08-14, 14:55
No you shouldn't have to.

BL unlike an image flash is usually quite quick.

Ojustaboo
31-08-14, 16:19
Flashed the bootloader again, saw the LED saying it was flashing and the light blinking.

Rebooted, recorded 2 channels while also watching one of them, took about 45 mins as box has been powered down all night, got to 99C then rebooted :(

Looks like its got to go back.

Joe_90
31-08-14, 16:53
What bootloader/image are you on now? There's definitely an issue with the later drivers and new kernel as it's being reported all over the OpenATV forum (in German but google or chrome translate will help). The technical details:

I've just come from the OpenATV forums where I was searching for playback issues on the Quad/Quad+
I didn't have to look very hard. There seems to be an issue with memory fragmentation on ATV 4.2 (presume equivalent drivers/kernel to ViX 025 onwards) which is causing problems on playback where RAM is being consumed and fragmented and then sufficient 128k memory blocks can't be found to display the data coming from disk. I had noticed that once you start playing back stuff from disk that the free RAM is rapidly depleted. Awaiting new drivers apparently. There is a workaround involving flushing the cache at one minute intervals, but I don't think I'll bother.

Have also seen reports of random re-booting on Quad following installation of new bootloader, but problem didn't go away after the poster reverted to earlier bootloader.

richardinspain
31-08-14, 17:28
I agree with you Tony
I upgraded to 026 with new boot loader, was getting reboots...I upgraded to 028 this morning and the reboots were worse...Also it wouldn't let me ftp to the box..My temp seems to go from 88-94..I'm in Spain and it's August so it's hot in the house but the receiver is well ventilated..But the fact is that there was No problem with reboots before i upgraded to the new boot loader...Also a couple of days ago i reverted back to 024 and kept on getting reboots (where there wasn't a problem before)..I'm now back on 026 for the last hour with NO reboots..
Ojustaboo, don't send it back just yet as i don't think its a problem with your box

Ojustaboo
31-08-14, 18:37
I updated to gigablue_bootloader_gbquad_20140724 so it would let me install Apollo 26 as per the thread

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?40050-Apollo-025-Reflash-Stuck-with-red-light

I have now gone to gigablue_bootloader_gbquad_20130507 which is the oldest I can find.

I've tried 24 and 26 on this bootloader and both are exactly the same yet 24 worked fine before my initial upgrade.

If I'm recording two channels or more (not tried less) and watching live or recorded TV, it WILL reboot and the temp reaches 99C just before. Can take up to 40 odd mins if the box is cool when I turn it on, but it does gradually creep up to that point.

As it worked 100% fine before upgrading to 26, I too don't really think it's the box, at the same time, I have a box I now cannot use, so don't quiet know what to do. Do I wait a week and find it is the box meaning a further week without TV or do I send it back when there might not be a problem???

Ojustaboo
31-08-14, 18:37
I'm now back on 026 for the last hour with NO reboots..

Try watching something for 30 odd mins while recording two other things

richardinspain
31-08-14, 20:31
Try watching something for 30 odd mins while recording two other things

Hi..Yes you are right...Recorded something of Tuner A B and C at the same time and the temp went from 86 to 99 in 5 mins and then rebooted...Got my floor stand fan out of the bedroom and put it next to the quad and got the temp down to 47!