PDA

View Full Version : WLAN headache

digicell
22-11-10, 20:37
Hi,

I am still having problems with my Wireless USB dongle on the VU + DUo. I have put a new thread because I had multiple diff issues so this is fresh

I have currently plugges my wireless usb and it I select it in th Menu > Network. Then I have set the following:

Use Interface - yes
Use DHCP - no
IP Address - 192.168.1.18 (I chose this as its within my IP Address range on my netgear router)
NetMask - 255.255.255.0
Use a gateway - Yes
Gateway - 192.168.1.1 (ip to connect to the config page in Netgear)
Network SSID - MyWifi Name
Encryption - yes
Encryption Type - WEP
Encryption Keytype - ASCII
ENCRYPTION Key - <I typed my password here>

Prumary DNS - 194.168.4.100 (I am with VM)
Secondary DNS - 194.168.8.100 (these DNS entries are the ones showing in my router)

Can someone confirm what I am doing wrong as when I activate these settings it says "Your internet is not working".

On my router I got the MAC address of the VU+DUO and inputted this and 192.168.1.18 into the "Address Reservation" section but no luck :(

I am feeling depressed.

Thanks

digicell
22-11-10, 20:47
when i do a network test it shows everything as green apart from DHCP and this is the only test which fails. It shows a "disabled" message as I have DHCP as "NO"?

andyblac
22-11-10, 20:55
try the first DNS as the address of your router, most routers handle the DNS requests for you.

digicell
22-11-10, 20:58
it seems like I am not getting any IP Address - can someone tell me if there is a way I can reset my Wirelesss USB dongle completely I am using the TP Link one

kegrka
23-11-10, 18:05
hi
using the same set up i think on VIX 1.2 my settings for primary are the same as my router 192.168.1.1 secondary is not set 0.0.0.0. and my encription type is WPA2
check your router's set up page VM as it's own password for netgear it is "password"not (standard if you search for it on internet )

digicell
24-11-10, 07:48
Hi

I dont understand what you mean Kergrka.

can you explain a little clearly for me?

marty
24-11-10, 08:51
Hi,

I am still having problems with my Wireless USB dongle on the VU + DUo. I have put a new thread because I had multiple diff issues so this is fresh

I have currently plugges my wireless usb and it I select it in th Menu > Network. Then I have set the following:

Use Interface - yes
Use DHCP - no
IP Address - 192.168.1.18 (I chose this as its within my IP Address range on my netgear router)
NetMask - 255.255.255.0
Use a gateway - Yes
Gateway - 192.168.1.1 (ip to connect to the config page in Netgear)
Network SSID - MyWifi Name
Encryption - yes
Encryption Type - WEP
Encryption Keytype - ASCII
ENCRYPTION Key - <I typed my password here>

Prumary DNS - 194.168.4.100 (I am with VM)
Secondary DNS - 194.168.8.100 (these DNS entries are the ones showing in my router)

Can someone confirm what I am doing wrong as when I activate these settings it says "Your internet is not working".

On my router I got the MAC address of the VU+DUO and inputted this and 192.168.1.18 into the "Address Reservation" section but no luck :(

I am feeling depressed.

Thanks

Use DHCP!!!!

Your encryption is set to 'Keytype - ASCII' try changing to 'HEX' if switching to DHCP doesn't work.

I have mine set to HEX, didn't work on ASCII

Here's a few screenshots of mine and don't forget to reboot both router and VU+ :)

http://www.vuplusduo.741.com/screenshot1.jpg

http://www.vuplusduo.741.com/screenshot2.jpg

http://www.vuplusduo.741.com/screenshot3.jpg

sivhead
24-11-10, 09:01
If you have put the mac address in the address reservation of the router then you need to set Vu Duo Wireless to be DHCP. this will get a DHCP address from the router but it will always be the address specified in the reservation. (the fixed ip 192.168.1.18 ). It will then get the correct DNS entries and work ok.

P.S its not the MAC address of the LAN in the VU+ Duo you need to add to the reservations its the address of the wireless adaptor thats in the VU+ duo. TO get the MAC address of the usb dongle stick it in your pc load the drivers and open a command prompt and perform an IPconfig -all.

kegrka
24-11-10, 20:05
Hi
I have not got DHCP set , I entered 192.198.1.1 for the router , vu set as 192.198.1. 200. netmask255.255.255.0 and then i entered wireless password.encryption type , on the screen (from MENU)for checking ur network at the bottom it as Primary 192.168.1.1 the secondary it states 0.0.0.0, ..settings these are made up but could be used,sometimes you can get 10.0.0.0 address (router)with VM do a ipconfig to see which its running on CMD promt on PC

this part refers to looking into your routers setting on a PC
the password part is for the router set up page 192,198.1.1 if you brought a netgear the password would be something like Username "admin" password " 1234" with VM username is "Virgin" password is " password" you need to get into this page if you want to close/open ports etc(portforwarding) sorry if i confused you

dkanwar
29-11-10, 20:05
Hi - please help.....
Im having strange problem that does not show the wireless options in Menu -> Network ie only shows
newtork : LAN connection and its setiings - no encryption key for wirless etc.
I have the recommended USB wireless adapter TP-LINK TL-WN321G Ver 4.0
The wireless adaptor works fine on my PC giving me a MAC address and flashing green light internet connectivity but the green light on the VU+ remains a constant green. I have installed/reinstalled various images but still does not detect the wireless network.
Cheers...

dkanwar
29-11-10, 20:07
Sorry forgot to mention wireless router is BT Voyager 2091....tnx

kegrka
29-11-10, 23:29
Hi
couple of things ,what image are you using , have you configured your router to work in wieless mode, (SSID/password) on the images ive tried with wireless DE 1.3.2 and VIX 1.2 after setting up your network using LAN , I would insert my wireless dongle rearloweer usb port then power down, then swicth off using rear power switch wait 12 secs then power up,go back into menu /network, select wlan , ensuring that i selected the correct SSID and entered the correct password and also the correct encryption that the router is using, then do a network test to confirm it. hope this helps

silverfox0786
29-11-10, 23:35
Sorry forgot to mention wireless router is BT Voyager 2091....tnx

I think thats your answer there mate not a good router to be using and a very old one at that BT now ship homehubs

Alanp
30-11-10, 07:49
Are you using VIX 1.2 im having the same issue using same TP-LINK TL-WN321G lots of others are having no issues though ? Strange one this

marty
30-11-10, 13:30
Are you using VIX 1.2 im having the same issue using same TP-LINK TL-WN321G lots of others are having no issues though ? Strange one this

TP-LINK TL-WN321G Ver 4.0 ?

I have Ver 1.0 and Ver 2.0 both work perfect (VIX 1.2) maybe later versions don't have the RT73 chipset and arn't compatible?
I know this is true of the D-link G122 wifi dongles, I have ver 5.0 and thats does NOT work yet earlier ones do :)

digicell
05-12-10, 12:16
Hi dkanwar I appreciate your question but please make a new thread for your issue because this initially began with my wireless problem and deviated, No problem though :)

I have managed to resolve this thanks for your help - I changed the password to HEX and its working now. I have left DHCP on and just changed my encryption of password from ASCII to HEX

As I have VIX Image V1.2 I need to put the picons on my hard drive again - can someone please refer me to the correct pictures I can use and do i just create a new folder under HDD folder and call it "picon" and then put the pics in there?

Thanks

kegrka
05-12-10, 20:20
Glad to see you got it sorted m8 and thanks for putting your solultion in the thread as this may help others

digicell
05-12-10, 20:24
Not a problem

marty
05-12-10, 20:26
No one read post #7? :p :)

http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?4017-WLAN-headache&p=29825&viewfull=1#post29825

digicell
05-12-10, 20:33
Thanks marty i did read your post and thank you as without this i would still have been thinking!!

Thanks you very much for that! do you know how I install Picons for all the channels? on my vu duo?

marty
05-12-10, 20:38
Thanks marty i did read your post and thank you as without this i would still have been thinking!!

Thanks you very much for that! do you know how I install Picons for all the channels? on my vu duo?

I just have all mine in a folder called "picon" on my HDD, but if you use the VIX image you must tell it where the picons are stored :)

digicell
06-12-10, 07:41
so how do i tell it where the picons are as im using Vix Image?

marty
06-12-10, 07:58
so how do i tell it where the picons are as im using Vix Image?

Blue button/VIX Menu/VIX Settings. There you can change the storage location of EPG and Picons ;) (Thats assuming you are using VIX 1.3)

This is the channel list and the picons I use in VIX :) Both are upto date.

Satlist (http://martysport.free.fr/vuplus/satlistdec.rar)

Picons (http://martysport.free.fr/vuplus/picon.rar)