PDA

View Full Version : Can I get Sky UK in other countries?

Joey92
25-08-14, 03:44
I'm new to all this.

I'm currently in Italy and I need a TV broadcaster. I don't like Sky Italy because it's basically all Italian.
I found a few sites selling Sky UK subscription but can't find any legit reviews..

Searching and searching I came into the Dreambox stuff.
So my question is, with a decoder like Dreambox, can I get the FULL Sky UK pack? Including HD.

I have a Internet connection of 20 Mega's.

If the answer is yes, then I can buy the decoder. And I was told in some other places that instead of buying a Dreambox, I could get a better one like Vu Solo 2.

Help me out please guys!

roy0110
25-08-14, 05:20
your best bet would be to ring sky and enquire.
if you have no phone you can do it be email.

https://contactus.sky.com/uk

Alanp
25-08-14, 06:54
I'm new to all this.

I'm currently in Italy and I need a TV broadcaster. I don't like Sky Italy because it's basically all Italian.
I found a few sites selling Sky UK subscription but can't find any legit reviews..

So my question is, with a decoder like Dreambox, can I get the FULL Sky UK pack? Including HD.

If the answer is yes, then I can buy the decoder. And I was told in some other places that instead of buying a Dreambox, I could get a better one like Vu Solo 2.

Help me out please guys!

You would need quite a large dish to receive sky uk maybe up to 2.5m

GiP
25-08-14, 09:26
I'm new to all this.

Actually Sky Italy has a lot of channels with double audio,most movies, TV series, documentaries and sports have an english track if that is available.
G

twol
25-08-14, 10:30
your best bet would be to ring sky and enquire.
if you have no phone you can do it be email.

https://contactus.sky.com/uk
Really? You have to be joking... If you have a card abroad and Sky are informed, they will kill the account.

twol
25-08-14, 10:36
I'm new to all this.

Help me out please guys!
Depends where you are in Italy, could be a small dish like a 1.0Metre or larger. Google "Robssatellitetv" - the people on the forums know what they are talking about, with many living in Italy. There are also discussions on other than satellite access to UK TV.

Larry-G
25-08-14, 11:06
Sky's terms of service mean that you can only take out a subscription to a uk address, if they were to discover their card were being used any where else they would be fully entitled to cancel your contract. (not that this stops many people from taking out a sub in a relatives name back home then taking it abroad). The other thing to consider is weather you can actually receive sky uk where you live, due to the new tighter footprints used on the new satellites.

A lot of foreign channels do indeed carry dual audio tracks for movies and tv series, but a lot of the sport channels, especially premier league football have removed these for copywrite reasons.

Joey92
25-08-14, 11:17
I know a lot of channels have dual audio, but not all of them.
I also need the Sky UK Asia channels pack, which is not included in the Sky Italy.

How can I verify that I can receive the signal from here?
Also, nothing about dreamboxex?

twol
25-08-14, 12:24
I know a lot of channels have dual audio, but not all of them.
I also need the Sky UK Asia channels pack, which is not included in the Sky Italy.

How can I verify that I can receive the signal from here?
Also, nothing about dreamboxex?
Go to the site i mentioned and ask the Italians on the site.... It really depend where you will live in Italy.
For example, One guy in Taino, Lake Maggiore has a 1.0 metre dish and another guy further down the street needs a 1.5M for UK FTA (like BBC) which is on the UK spot beam, but Sky is on the pan European which means you have to live in the back of beyond not to pick up.

Joey92
25-08-14, 13:14
Ok thanks.

I've also read that now Sky have disabled the HD channels for card shar*ng.
HD channels are a must for me, so the road of dramboxes etc it's not for me right?

I should find a way to get a legit Sky UK HD subscription.

timofee
25-08-14, 13:47
Yes, you are correct, you need an original Ѕky box to get the HD channels.

Ѕky now consider VU+ receivers and similar boxes are pirаte boxes, and HD channels won't work, even if you have a working Ѕky card.

Also don't be put off by all the talk about dish size, if you are in the right part of Italy all you need is a 60cm dish.

Trial
25-08-14, 14:02
Hi,
I think BBC/ITV is almost impossible to watch in Italy and for SKY it seems to depend. There seems to be a north and south beam and with south you have not problem but north requires easily >2m. You have to look which channels are on south beam.

ciao

timofee
25-08-14, 14:06
60cm dish is all you need in NW Italy. The dish size you need increases the further away the location is from the NW.

twol
25-08-14, 14:51
60cm dish is all you need in NW Italy. The dish size you need increases the further away the location is from the NW.

For the FTA channels like BBC 60 cm????????
I am a lot closer than NW Italy, and I need a 1.50M dish for the UK spot beam

timofee
26-08-14, 13:47
Look on the map. The largest town in the North West corner of Italy is Aosta (location 45.7°N, 7.3°E), and there would be no problem receiving all 28°e channels on a 60cm dish there - including BBC & commercial channels in the 28°e spot beam.

You might be further south than that location - Aosta, as I said, is in the north west tip of Italy.

twol
26-08-14, 13:54
Look on the map. The largest town in the North West corner of Italy is Aosta (location 45.7°N, 7.3°E), and there would be no problem receiving all 28°e channels on a 60cm dish there - including BBC & commercial channels in the 28°e spot beam.

You might be further south than that location - Aosta, as I said, is in the north west tip of Italy.

I am considerably North of there... are you just looking at the so called maps or do you actually live in Italy?
Even the official Astra 2E UK spot beam signal for 60cm doesn't even reach the French/German border let alone Italy

Larry-G
26-08-14, 15:17

Foot print maps are at best to be taken with a large pinch of salt, there are plenty of forums, discussion boards about where expats and natives alike discuss the new limitations of receiving sky uk outside of its intended foot print.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk HD

millsey
26-08-14, 20:27
you can in spain portugal and italy you must use a bigger dish

timofee
27-08-14, 08:30
My feedback above is from personal experience.

A well aligned 60cm dish is all you need to receive all 28°e channels in the northern French Alps. The same would apply for nearby locations over the Italian & Swiss borders.

twol
27-08-14, 10:42
My feedback above is from personal experience.

A well aligned 60cm dish is all you need to receive all 28°e channels in the northern French Alps. The same would apply for nearby locations over the Italian & Swiss borders.
When? This year?

twol
27-08-14, 12:15
I spoke to a guy who lives in Rennes les Bains. Aude, and has a Gibertini 125 with Feedhorn and 4x LNB and yesterday in light rain lost both 2E and 2F reception.... by the way his job is Satellite installation and confirmed the issues of reception in Southern France.
I just like people to understand the real issues in European reception of FTA channels since Astra 2E and 2F went up and became operational.

timofee
27-08-14, 14:07
It was working fine in the Northern French Alps two weeks ago.

Just to repeat, all you need in the Northern French Alps is a 60cm dish to receive all 28°e channels.

zoro25
19-09-14, 21:09
I have a similar question,

However I'm moving to the US so have no chance of picking up Sky by Satellite,

My options are
Keep the DUO2 in the UK and use a SlingBox, ?
Keep the DUO2 in he UK and somehow use XMBC to connect and stream.
Take the Duo2 with me and somehow find internet streams for BBC and possible other Feeview/Freesat chans - IPTVListUpdater etc (I can live without Sky but not really BBC and ITV/Chan4 would be nice)

I'm wondering if anyone has tried something similar , I've heard that slingboxes can be a bit hit or miss on streaming quality. My box can already transcode so it seems a shame to use another box.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Trial
19-09-14, 22:12
Hi,
why slingbox when you have a Duo2? The Duo2 has the ability to transcode no need for an extra slingbox. I don´t think that you find a stable, free IPTV provider for BBC&Co.

ciao

zoro25
19-09-14, 22:40
Yes I've had issues finding a stable BBC feed,

The issue with the Duo2 is that I need a way to watch on the other end on TV , so while it can transcode , it would be a pain to only use a browser to watch, Also transcoding will work sometimes and not others, (last year it was broken for about 6 months).

I'm after a TV like experience with a remote etc , but also the ability to watch the shows I love.

I'm surprised that no one has solved this issue yet , especially with 28.2 going narrow beam recently.

judge
19-09-14, 22:47
Do a google search for UK TV Everywhere, the first result is a company that Lordy Sugar is always banging on about & says he uses when he's in the states.
I'm sure still highly illegal though.

http://recombu.com/digital/news/is-lord-sugar-promoting-illegal-streaming_M11430.html

zoro25
19-09-14, 23:31
Thanks this looks like just the kind of thing I was hoping would exist

judge
19-09-14, 23:49
Piers Morgan also uses & praises it. Guess the more money you have, the less you care about the legality. Does seem like a decent solution though.
If you look at their testimonials page, Mo Farah also seems to use them...

Larry-G
20-09-14, 12:24
Just take the Duo2 with you to NA and use it as a FTA / IPTV box, there are loads of forums for that.

Have a look at these guys
http://www.legitfta.com/forum/index.php, tell them Pale-Rider sent you, they are a nice friendly bunch over there.