PDA

View Full Version : Which box - for freeview channels, PVR, 7 Day EPG Miraclebox or technomate

cascas1
18-08-14, 14:25
Hi All,

Recently looking for a STB for a tv in a new extension. I have a Humax Freesat box in the main room. In the extension I would like to get box that can receive the same FTA channels, stream media, and IPTV.

I have googled the subject, but am just getting more confused., which ones I should look at and which ones I should avoid like a plague. I am flexible on price.

I would like box that works simlar to a standard STB, with a decent EPG - to suit the less technically inclined members of the family.

I would like to be able to record from the EPG, similar to my freesat box. Ideally be able to control the box via an app (so the reciever can be out of sight)

Can anyone make any recommendations? I have searched, and the recommendation seems to be to get a MIPS based box rather than SH4. I have looked on the WOS page, and the Miraclebox, or Technomate Nano seem suitable. Would something else be better? On paper the Miraclebox seems to have a faster processor, but somewhere in the reviewed I read that that technomate was faster? (confused!). The technomate has an upscaler for SD channels? Does the miracle box (or others) have this?

Can someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks

abu baniaz
18-08-14, 15:19
Technomate receivers do not have Freeview tuners. One is on the horizon with a switchable tuner. (DVB-T and DVB-C). As more or less same as Nano 2 Super, should be good. The current range of TMs would require a USB tuner if you want Freeview.

The M/Bs are your best choice for now as you can buy a terrestrial tuner for them.

Terrestrial EPG just populates. EPG should not be a problem.

cascas1
18-08-14, 19:16
Technomate receivers do not have Freeview tuners. One is on the horizon with a switchable tuner. (DVB-T and DVB-C). As more or less same as Nano 2 Super, should be good. The current range of TMs would require a USB tuner if you want Freeview.

The M/Bs are your best choice for now as you can buy a terrestrial tuner for them.

Terrestrial EPG just populates. EPG should not be a problem.

I have a freesat receiver (satellite) not freeview (terrestrial)

Larry-G
18-08-14, 19:18
Any enigma2 based receiver will do what you want, you could of course go with the cheaper closed source boxes like your humax but they dont have the many features you specify, such as a full 7 day EPG etc.