PDA

View Full Version : box but which one

br2000ad
16-08-14, 21:05
hi
newbie to satellite boxes have know about them for a while but never got round to gettin one.
have been searchin the net/forums for a few days now but still undecided on which one..
i,ve read/been told about the skybox/openbox with the problems but it is really cheap..
as iam in a vm area ive been told i could have a satellite/cable box (combo box)as hd channels am down on satellite
but am harder to set up....the vu+solo2 keeps popin up as a great box with good reviews but is this to much
for a newbie..?defo would like Enigma box with auto updates as i think sky/openbox you have to keep updating channals correct me if iam wrong...i have got me server or servers so just waiting on a box any
suggestions please..
ive got a standed dish i think with 2 wires off it,it was already on the house when i moved in(maybe a sky dish) does work as its in my tv atm
thx
price upto 300 maybe more

Larry-G
16-08-14, 21:13
Enigma boxes are not the easiest to setup but there are lots of people on hand who will happily show you what you need, as for the box it self the solo2 is one of the best out there but it only has two fixed satellite tuner cards and you said you wanted the cable option too ?.

Maybe have a look at the miraclebox or the golden interstar lx series.

nsw9154
16-08-14, 21:31
The Solo2 is a fantastic box but like pheonix said it only has 2 fixed sat tuners I reluctantly sold mine and purchased a LX3 and have not regretted it :)

br2000ad
16-08-14, 21:34
Enigma boxes are not the easiest to setup but there are lots of people on hand who will happily show you what you need, as for the box it self the solo2 is one of the best out there but it only has two fixed satellite tuner cards and you said you wanted the cable option too ?.

Maybe have a look at the miraclebox or the golden interstar lx series.
i was told i could use a combo box if i wanted to for hd channels but it dont really bother me.
would i need to get a motorised dish for a vu+ box..?

Larry-G
16-08-14, 21:42
if you only want to watch channels broadcast on sky uk, your existing dish will suffice, if you want to receive channels from abroad you will need a bigger dish and a motor or a multi lnb system setup etc.

br2000ad
16-08-14, 21:59
The Solo2 is a fantastic box but like pheonix said it only has 2 fixed sat tuners I reluctantly sold mine and purchased a LX3 and have not regretted it :)

how many sat tuners do you need :)

nsw9154
17-08-14, 01:12
it really depends what you want to record, 2 tuners allows you to record a program while watching another I have 4 sat tuners but only 3 feeds to my Duo2 box the other 1 goes to my LX3, but today I was recording 2 football matches and the MotoGP while watching the Discovery channel

judge
17-08-14, 01:20
how many sat tuners do you need :)

The more, the better.

br2000ad
17-08-14, 13:58
it really depends what you want to record, 2 tuners allows you to record a program while watching another I have 4 sat tuners but only 3 feeds to my Duo2 box the other 1 goes to my LX3, but today I was recording 2 football matches and the MotoGP while watching the Discovery channel
nice :)..so what your saying is if i had say 3 tuners i can watch and record plus link up another box in another room.? if so do you need 1 or 2 servers..? if i wanted another box in the future

Larry-G
17-08-14, 14:06
The more tuners the more recording options you are going to have, but please be mindful of the rules with regard to "servers".

br2000ad
17-08-14, 14:22
ok.....is that the way you would link up boxers

Stanman
17-08-14, 14:48
You drive the Doncaster and plug it into the road lamp outside 24 coronation street and than onwards to poole do the same at 45 rydal road.....

Honestly dude could your question be any unclearer?

br2000ad
17-08-14, 18:09
You drive the Doncaster and plug it into the road lamp outside 24 coronation street and than onwards to poole do the same at 45 rydal road.....

Honestly dude could your question be any unclearer?
can 2 or 3 boxes run off one dish

Larry-G
17-08-14, 18:41
can 2 or 3 boxes run off one dish

yes you can run multiple receivers from a single dish / lnb, although the best way to do that would be to fit a quad or better still a octo lnb with more feeds for other receivers, you can also use loopout from one receiver to another but that limits what you can do as it ties up the tuners.

br2000ad
18-08-14, 18:04
tbf the most i,d like to run is 2 at the most so don,t think i,d need one with 4 tuners on.. is a vu+solo 2
a bit expensive for my first box or shall i go for a way cheaper one

cactikid
18-08-14, 18:30
and how many cheaper boxes will you buy before been happy?

nsw9154
18-08-14, 18:36
I bought the cheaper Miraclebox because it had the capabilities of fitting a cable tuner then realised that my Solo2 was far superior even though it did not have the option to fit more tuners so I sold them both and bought a Duo2 and a LX3 because of the 4 tuner option, and if I had not needed more tuners I would still have had the Solo2 :thumbsup:

Larry-G
18-08-14, 19:16
If the solo2 is too expensive for you, look at the TM Nano2 super, this is based on the solo2 and perform really well baring the odd niggle.

br2000ad
18-08-14, 21:01
and how many cheaper boxes will you buy before been happy?yh your probably right

br2000ad
18-08-14, 21:08
If the solo2 is too expensive for you, look at the TM Nano2 super, this is based on the solo2 and perform really well baring the odd niggle.

ive got the money for it but would add a hdd abit further down the line

br2000ad
18-08-14, 21:43
i need to sort me some cable&connectors first :)

br2000ad
20-08-14, 19:18
anyone know were to get some rg11 coax i think it is one that vm use and 2 compresstion connectors

cactikid
24-08-14, 00:42
most sat shops should stock these,any local to you got a pliers also?

br2000ad
25-08-14, 13:57
most sat shops should stock these,any local to you got a pliers also?

sorted now :)