PDA

View Full Version : Whats the point.

bigall123
15-08-14, 16:07
Hello there. Iv been thinking of getting 1 of these box for a while now, But then i think watts the point of these. I mean no 1 has told me what you can do on these boxes & what channels you can get on them. I mean can you still get sly channels on these boxes without a slycard will i need a new dish. Im not going to fork out good money for bad until i no what there about. Thank you. PS. can some 1 tell witch wood be the best box to get for a beginner & of course it wood have to be wife friendly. Thank you. Sorry for the rant. lol

Mr. Mister
15-08-14, 16:15
You will need your own card to view whatever channels you want to..
We do NOT support sharing on this forum.. And all help given will only be for your local card..

As far as receivers go.. The sponsor has some good deals on boxes at the moment..
Ranging from £129.00 for basic starter receiver.. To the all singling all dancing more expensive Vu+ Duo2..
It all depends on what you want to spend..

See >>>HERE<<< (http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers) for details on all receivers and prices..
Also.. If you send the sponsor a PM on this forum.. You can get a £5 discount..

hope this helps..

Alanp
15-08-14, 16:18
You will get all channels but nearly all the HD channels will not clear due to sky's new card pairing

Larry-G
15-08-14, 16:37
Please dont think my reply is meant to be rude towards you as it is not, but if your primary reason for getting a thirdparty receiver is to get something for nothing, or to get so called free channels, then this is not the hobby for you. These boxes (for me at least), open up a whole new world of customizing my viewing experience exactly to my needs, then there is the whole motorized scene which is another animal all together.

Dont get me wrong, I would say 90 percent of the current UK market for thirdparty receivers is centered around the whole illegal cardsharing scene, but those of us who are true hobbyists could care less about getting premium channels for free, we just enjoy fiddling about to see what we can do with out kit.

cactikid
15-08-14, 16:47
it also gives us the choice of what to view local tv cable or sly sat,better sats up there to view on motorized or from internal sources like tsmedia,we do love to fiddle and twiddle and never happy:eek::thumbsup:

rossi2000
15-08-14, 16:48
everyone leeched sky, and now HD is gone
everyone will try now to leech virgin and then that will go...

well done everyone :)

pooface
15-08-14, 16:56
everyone leeched sky, and now HD is gone
everyone will try now to leech virgin and then that will go...

well done everyone :)

Everyone did leech virgin, and it did go...

Then, some people found a way how to get that back, but it involved lots of messing with the card or something to get the number needed or something...

nsw9154
15-08-14, 17:08
I am debating weather or not to get the VIRGIN Sports Ticket for the SKY Sports channels for £150 but the extra £7 a month for HD on top of my XL Package :nono:
but could I really just watch the footy in SD :( looking like an extra £7 :fart2: I Just wish that damn Virgin card would work in my Duo2 :violin:

bigall123
15-08-14, 19:23
well what box could i customize to see sly channels aswell as freeview & xbmc on it. dose the enigma 2 box do this. ?

heyho
15-08-14, 20:15
As has been said this should be treated as a hobby and not a way of getting Sly and the like on the cheap.

I got my first setup (90m dish, singly LNB, motor and Spiderbox 6000HD) at Christmas. I am techie so it was going to be an easy setup. How wrong. Ended up being a faulty motor but how did I know. I wasted hours. Anyway I ended up getting it professionally installed (more money!!!) to prove it was the motor and had to have a new motor installed. Cool, I loved it. Within a couple of months I changed the box for a Vu+ Uno and I love the challenge of flashing it and tweaking it. Spend more time friggin around with it than watching anything on it. Had Blackhole on it for ages - a good starter image. Now moved on to OpenVix which I also really like.

All the while I had this setup I also kept the full Sky package (legally). But just a couple of weeks decided to pack it totally in with Sky due to another price increase and their attitude. Will I run to my other satellite setup. No not really I have subscribed to BT.

The only channels I will miss are Sky Atlantic and Sports 1-2 for my Rugby League. Ok I am a bit frustrated that HD has gone on the 'other' satellite but hey ho it's not too bad in SD if I need it.

Larry-G
15-08-14, 20:19
well what box could i customize to see sly channels aswell as freeview & xbmc on it. dose the enigma 2 box do this. ?

No, Enigma2 boxes don't support XBMC, but you can run a kind of XBMC emulator on them, it's not a patch on the full XBMC os though.

Larry-G
15-08-14, 20:22
I love the challenge of flashing it and tweaking it. Spend more time friggin around with it than watching anything on it.

Not all that unusual in this hobby LOL.

All the while I had this setup I also kept the full Sky package (legally). But just a couple of weeks decided to pack it totally in with Sky due to another price increase and their attitude. Will I run to my other satellite setup. No not really I have subscribed to BT.

The only channels I will miss are Sky Atlantic and Sports 1-2 for my Rugby League. Ok I am a bit frustrated that HD has gone on the 'other' satellite but hey ho it's not too bad in SD if I need it.

Even with access to just the FTA channels you still have many thousands of channels spread about on over a dozen of the major providers in Europe and further afield.

thecaretaker
15-08-14, 21:20
we do love to fiddle and twiddle and never happy:eek::thumbsup:

Yep, it's not a hobby that you'll ever get much sympathy from the wife. I have to wait for the Mrs to go to bed to fiddle. She say "I wish you'd play with my knobs as much as you do that ruddy sat box" lol :smiley_yup:

nsw9154
15-08-14, 21:28
I have to wait for the Mrs to go to bed to fiddle.

that's why she is in the Front Room with her Virgin Box and I am in the Back Room with my LX3 & Duo2 :D

bigall123
16-08-14, 00:13
Well I no what my wife will say if i get 1 strait away. YOU SPEND MORE TIME WITH THAT BOX THAN YOU DO WITH ME. All off the same blue print man.

bigall123
16-08-14, 00:19
Eny way. Iv decided to hold back on getting 1 of these boxes for now, At least till i no watts going on with xbmc on these boxes. You never no, They might find away to put full xbmc on these 1 day aswel as other things. Thank you all eny way for your info.

judge
16-08-14, 00:32
You never no, They might find away to put full xbmc on these 1 day aswel as other things.

Not going to happen any time soon.

Rob van der Does
16-08-14, 05:34
She say "I wish you'd play with my knobs as much as you do that ruddy sat box" lol :smiley_yup:
Is that what they call 'a bedroom box'?

DaMacFunkin
16-08-14, 07:02

A dedicated XBMC machine using tv headend with sat and terrestrial tuners would be the way to do it, ends up pricey and is a bit involved.