PDA

View Full Version : Linux virgin

sataday
13-08-14, 15:00
Hi all. I have just bought myself a VU+ solo2, my first linux machine.
I've got it up and running, but I've still a lot to learn.
Thanks.

abu baniaz
13-08-14, 17:49
Welcome to the forum

Andy_Hazza
13-08-14, 18:54
Excellent choice of box skipper :thumbsup:

zparky
27-08-14, 22:21
Hi

I am also a Linux virgin, but I haven't taken the plunge yet. I posted here a few days ago but I hadn't done any research http://www.world-of-satellite.com/images/smilies/frown1.gif now I have done a bit I am shifting towards a Vu+ solo2 as well. I have never played with a Linux box before though & am teetering! I love playing, & am not a total tech novice but I am not a wiz by any means, (do I need to be?) I can see loads of support on here but some of it is above me at the moment, does it make more sense when you get some hardware, & if you don't mind me asking did you get your box from W o S & did you have a ViX image loaded?

Mr. Mister
27-08-14, 23:19
Hi.. Welcome to the forum..
As this is the home of Vix.. Most of the users here use the Vix image..
Again i would say that the majority of our members have bought from World Of Satellite at some time or another..
You will not find better service anywhere else.. They are simple the best.. and are only too happy to answer any question you have..
Im also quite sure all your questions can be answered here in the forum..
It is alot easier to understand exactly whats being talked about when you have the hardware in front of you..
It can be a steep learning curve.. But thats why we have this forum.. Everyone is here to help each other 24/7 ..
Hope this helps..

zparky
28-08-14, 15:50
Thanks Mr Mister, so it's an order to World of Satellite for a box as soon as I get back from my hols in September then! Gulp.

nsw9154
28-08-14, 17:01
Hello :wave: and welcome, when I bought my 1st linux receiver a Solo2 actually I did not purchase it from the sponsors as I originally wanted a Gigablue Quad and they did not have any in stock, so I ordered one from a shop in Finland and after I had paid for it they Discontinued the Quad for the Quad plus so they could not get any more stock
so it was either wait for them getting the Quad plus in stock or get a refund, and seeing that I had already waited 2 weeks, I decided to get the Solo2 as that was my second choice anyway, so I paid an extra 30 euros and after another week (what a faff on) I had a shiny new Solo2 to play with then realised that if I had originally purchased it from the sponsors I would have had it 3 weeks sooner as they usually send it next day free delivery and it would have cost roughly the same as getting it from Finland,so after that I have purchased all my Receivers and quite a bit of Sat gear from WOS
and this Fantastic forum helped me through all the pit falls and the Very Very Steep learning curve to teach me the knowledge that I now have and I am learning fast :D

thestoress
28-08-14, 21:03
I have my Solo2 since last November and it was my first box too. It really is the dogs bollox, I can't praise it enough. The guys here are great and I have learned a lot from them, the best bit is having a play around with all the diff settings, skins and plugins, watching TV is good too!!