PDA

View Full Version : 1Gb LAN: how is this achieved?

lscolman
02-08-14, 17:59
Hi,
I have my Duo2 connected to my Homehub 5, which has four 1Gb LAN ports.

When I check the connection details on the hub page, it shows 100Mb.

I've swapped out the cables between the Duo2 and the Hub, and it has made no difference.

I'm on the latest build of Apollo.

Should the Duo2 be able to connect at 1Gb speed? Could it be a driver issue?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Lee

Donnie
02-08-14, 18:10
Are you connected direct to the hub via one cable or is your house networked ?

lscolman
02-08-14, 18:29
Hmmm, I think I must have a kink in the original cable. I've plugged it back in, straightened up the cable, and it's showing as 1Gb/s now.

Both cables are Cat5e, but think I'll get a Cat6 to future proof.

Cheers, Lee

Donnie
02-08-14, 19:06
Cat5 is fine and more robust but pay for a decent quality cable, you get what you pay for from places like the bay

seame
03-08-14, 01:08
Cat5 is fine and more robust but pay for a decent quality cable, you get what you pay for from places like the bay

Can you recommend a good brand?

nsw9154
03-08-14, 01:36
I have had good results with Xenta cat 5 & 6 cables up to 5 metres, so can not comment on longer lengths but they seem good quality

Donnie
03-08-14, 09:54
Can you recommend a good brand?

I get most of my stuff from data comms direct, just google them

Peterj
03-08-14, 13:40
Hmmm, I think I must have a kink in the original cable. I've plugged it back in, straightened up the cable, and it's showing as 1Gb/s now.

Both cables are Cat5e, but think I'll get a Cat6 to future proof.

Cheers, Lee

1Gb/s uses all 8 wires (4 pair), 100Mb/s only 4 (2 pair). When you have 1 wire not connected and it is not necessary for 100Mb/s it automatically switches to 100Mb/s.
When you invest in new cable, I advice to take Cat 6. Also uses Cat6 outlet connectors.
I have used Excel connectors. Very easy to handle without any special tools.

http://www.excel-networking.com/catalogue/copper/category-6/modules-jacks/category-6-unscreened-angled-keystone-jack---toolless/