PDA

View Full Version : Any reason not to get another Vu+ Duo

JimboM
31-07-14, 13:16
We've recently moved house and as we now have room for another TV I may as well get another receiver to go with it. Currently have a Vu+ Duo which has been great (Only problem I ever have is that if I switch it off at the mains I have to leave it for a good 15mins before turning it back on again otherwise it doesn't startup!) Was just going to get another Duo but before I do is there anything else out there for the same money that would be considered an upgrade? Alternatively is there any benefit to sticking to the same make/model ?

If it makes any difference the current unit would be relegated to TV room 2 with a dual feed from a fixed dish, the new unit will be fed by a fixed/motorised combo

Thanks

dfdream
31-07-14, 15:14
Its a common issue.
Solved by replacing this capacitor.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?26743-Dead-Vu-Duo-repair-guide&highlight=capacitor

satmanbasil
31-07-14, 21:49
hi mate

you could look at the solo 2 much faster than the duo i have a duo - solo - solo2 and think the solo2 is the best, as mentioned above the slow startup can be caps showing signs of going, if you have one of the first duo's out you might wanna look at casheflush plugin as the very early duo seem to leak memory.

at the end of the day all depends on what you have moneywise available

nsw9154
01-08-14, 00:14
I would also go with the Solo2 it's a Great receiver but like satmanbasil said it all depends on how much you have to spend,I had a Solo2 and loved it it is fast very fast and I only sold it because I wanted the option of plug in tuners,so I bought a Miraclebox premium twin with plug in tuners and had one of each cable/sat fitted it was a very capable box probably on par with your old Duo+ so you could consider one of them, but compared to the Solo2 it seemed to slow so I sold the Solo2 and the Miraclebox and bought a Duo2 & GI LX3 :D

cactikid
01-08-14, 01:13
if your happy with the vu originals yes,like others solo,duo,max digital 1000,solo2,running out of room and tvs to use :thumbsup:

JimboM
01-08-14, 09:33
Cheers guys, hadn't even looked at the Solo2 as assumed it was a single tuner unit, Vu+ really need to think about their model names! Hopefully will order one over the weekend.

cactikid
02-08-14, 00:33
vu is a simple name,could be worse like a welsh town name of 30 letters that one could not pronounce:D:thumbsup:

DaMacFunkin
02-08-14, 07:04
Cheers guys, hadn't even looked at the Solo2 as assumed it was a single tuner unit, Vu+ really need to think about their model names! Hopefully will order one over the weekend.

They probably think it makes sense, ie solo tuner addresses x2 as opposed to the duo2 which has support for 2 tuner addresses x2, personally I wish they would make a solo3 with 1x cable/terrestrial, 1x sat and 1 pluggable slot.... Now that would be a box.

Stanman
02-08-14, 13:43
Got nothing to do with tuners and names

Solo > Solo2

DUO > DUO2

DaMacFunkin
02-08-14, 19:19
So you are saying that the solo with 1 internal tuner became solo2 with 2 internal tuners and duo with 2 internal tuners became duo2 with 4 internal tuners, and that progression is not connected?
So why is the Solo SE not called Solo2 SE?