PDA

View Full Version : Samsung EVO 840

Stanman
30-07-14, 18:54
Tried to install this on a I7 running on a Asus P6T Se on bios 908.

I enabled AHCI in the bios but the drive was not recognised on boot up. Swapped the power and SATA cable to one that were working still no joy. Swapped them back to the HDD and that booted just fine.

I have also changed the registry to enable AHCI for windows as that was preventing the system from booting up.

Any ideas what's the issue, changed the drive and cannot see anything on it that I could change.

The cables are 110% working:confused:

stuart35
30-07-14, 20:18
I had a similar problem with my Samsung ssd when installing a new mobo. If you have a secondary drive that is on sata channel 2 when the ssd is a boot drive with the OS on sata channel 1 then secondary drive must be formatted after setting bios to AHCI for windows to recognize it.

For me the only way to get it to work was to format the secondary drive and run the ssd as OS drive. Also check the sat cables...mine were very brittle and i reckon the one supplied with the ssd drive snapped inside when installing into my mobo

Stanman
30-07-14, 21:05
I have done that mate, its set to ACHI on sata one but its been picked up on the splash screen or in the bios when I enter it.

Checked the cable and swapped them around and they work fine.

mann
30-07-14, 22:20
Boot into bios and disable secure boot.

stuart35
30-07-14, 22:38
Both drives need to be set to AHCI when I did mine as far as I can remember.

stuart35
30-07-14, 22:42
Did you try boot order or priority? Ssd as first boot the The secondary then dvd drive if fitted. To load an Os you will need dvd as first boot then set ssd as first boot after installation.

Stanman
30-07-14, 23:44
It's just not been recognised to set up boot order.

Had enough frustration for today, need to stop or will need a new pc[emoji2]

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

stuart35
31-07-14, 11:05
Have you tried another sata channel on the mobo with just the ssd on its own? ... No other sata devices connected. Then see if it's recognised by bios. Try all sata connection on mobo to be sure.
My older pc has a dud sata connection on the mobo, apparently very delicate on Asus and gigabyte boards.

Stanman
31-07-14, 11:16
Am all sorted.

Replicated everything again and edited the regedit again even though it was on zero and same cables, its all up and running now.

Gonna try and clone old HDD, fun and games - hope not:):D

valhalla
10-08-14, 14:17
went through the same nightmare when I changed to ahci I just got a re-accuring message no boot manager installed

messed about with the bios unplugged all other hdd and make first bootable the evo

then it wouldn't recognise the dvd drive so another hour messing about looking for solutions in the end I disconnected it
rebooted connected again and windows found new hardware and and re-installed drivers

not the smooth process that I was expecting

but WOW what a difference it makes well worth the hassle

Stanman
10-08-14, 14:57
There is also a registry setting you need to enable in windows otherwise it will not recognise the HDD.

Sure does mine went from 16 to 180, boot is so much quicker