PDA

View Full Version : What Box to get need your advice

silverfox0786
21-11-10, 12:47
Hi guys my cousins just made my life a little harder than it already is :lol3:

My cousin wants to get a linux box. He has seen the DM500 and i gave him a tour of my DUO last night.
He likes the DUO but reackons its far to over his budget he said just get a SD box then i'll upgrade later. well whats the point i thought.

Now here is the difficult part he wants a box to use that has a mi minimum atleast client capabilities. But the main issue is he wants to use his Sly Card.

He has told me to buy it for him set it up and what evr the damage he will pass it over.

But the issue now i'm having is he said he wants pvr possibly twin tuner and possibly HD so i looked at receivers for that and many are available but which one out of all of them will be within a nice budget and do all that. the dm600 500hd i looked at wont as it wont take a smargo

Please guys help me here which is best and remember he aint got a clue bout these boxes it will be me keeping it maintained and running. so a user friendly one that will for him do the job of just watching tv.

Maxwell
21-11-10, 13:01
What do you call a nice budget ?

silverfox0786
21-11-10, 13:05
What do you call a nice budget ?

well so far he said look at the reagion of about £100 but i'f its a little more i can ask him and see if he will push it up a bit more

Larry-G
21-11-10, 13:11
sounds like he wants a DUO without spending DUO money to be honest.
the cheapest E2 based dual tuner / pvr box he will be able to get will be something along the lines of the DM7025 however that box is not HD if i remember right. or if he's not fussed about the dual tuner part maybe consider a TM600 it's pretty much like a DM500 but with the inclusion of 3 usb ports for use with a external or internal HDD he'll be laughing.

Maxwell
21-11-10, 13:12
But the issue now i'm having is he said he wants pvr possibly twin tuner and possibly HD so i looked at receivers for that and many are available but which one out of all of them will be within a nice budget and do all that. the dm600 500hd i looked at wont as it wont take a smargo

Please guys help me here which is best and remember he aint got a clue bout these boxes it will be me keeping it maintained and running. so a user friendly one that will for him do the job of just watching tv.
Silverfox - You just are not going to get all those feature for sub £100 you need to get him to up his budget or sacrifice some features, take a look at the Technomate's TM600 from our sponsor and have you thought about the secondhand market.

silverfox0786
21-11-10, 13:13
i was looking at the tecnomate 500 or 600 but i'm not to clued up will it work on a sly card the other option is second hand or then [not really one to say but a clone]

he has said he can sacrafise hd or twin tuner but atleast have sly card capabilities

bassethound
21-11-10, 13:15
The DUO is a great price from are sponsor this weekend £365 with free UK delivery!

http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?3931-Special-prices-on-VU-Duo-and-Solo-for-this-weekend-only!

silverfox0786
21-11-10, 13:18
The DUO is a great price from are sponsor this weekend £365 with free UK delivery!

http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?3931-Special-prices-on-VU-Duo-and-Solo-for-this-weekend-only!

im really tring to push him towards the vu even if its a solo i even said its my fav box and all setting for me will be easy no hassle but i can understand he has a budget. its more really down o not that he cant afford it but said is it really worth me paying out so much just to watch a bit of tv lol

Larry-G
21-11-10, 13:36
first off i'd get that idea of buying a clone out of your head as soon as it appears in there. yes you can get some decent DM800 clones but more often than not you can be lumped with a dead dog and no real way to sort it other than sending it back to china.

as for the TM600 there cracking little boxes, once you load a UR image every thing just works pretty much off the bat. iv'e never tried a sky card in any of mine as i use CCcam ( for my own educational purposes obviously . )

or if you do go down the second hand route try looking for a DM7025. yes it's a older box but there almost bullet proof and virtually identical to the DM7020 with the exception of it being DM's first E2 box with twin tuners.

silverfox0786
21-11-10, 15:07
Thanks for the low down will ring him tonight and give him the lowdown all i need to know now is can i get a sly card working on it

notanotherone
21-11-10, 16:23
first off i'd get that idea of buying a clone out of your head as soon as it appears in there. yes you can get some decent DM800 clones but more often than not you can be lumped with a dead dog and no real way to sort it other than sending it back to china.

dont see why your having a downer on the dream 800 hd clone i have 1 so does my mates and they came from the uk and where we bought them his back up service is second to none (i also have a 500 a vu+duo an open media box as well as freesat hd box ):roflmao:i know what your thinking greedy fo**** but i like to play around with them all and the 800 has never been one bit of trouble

Larry-G
21-11-10, 16:42
dont see why your having a downer on the dream 800 hd clone i have 1 so does my mates and they came from the uk and where we bought them his back up service is second to none

indeed there are a few really good uk suppliers of cloned DM800'S but they are few and far between and their boxes still originate in china.
these boxes although called clones are for the most part nothing like the originals, something you would no doubt see if you took the lid off and compared it to a original. now i'm not getting into a slagging match between clones and originals but in my experience 90 % of all trouble and their associated threads on the various satellite forums are a direct result of these dodgy clones.

i know what your thinking greedy fo**** but i like to play around with them all

ERM no.
i my self have a DM7020, DM600PVR , TM600 , TM600 , Manhattan Plaza XT-CM , fortek star FS - 4000V2. and at least another dozen receivers in the loft.

Foxylady
21-11-10, 17:04
I had a 800 clone, nothing but hassle until i got a gen tuner for it and it was spot on.
But my advice silverfox and this is from messing around with boxes, tell him don't to be a tight backside lol.
Honestly bud i got the duo and the best purchase i've had, has the lot, perfect through out.
My bro in law had a clone 800, he had issues also, he went for a solo merely on the basis he'd spotted my duo but he wasnt bothered about twin tuners etc to be honest neither i am i don't use both, i bought mine merely on recommendation from one of my good friends of whom test nearly every box out there and i can say GET ONE.
My bro in law is smiling always, glitching was main issue and heat problems........
Clones are pointless in my opinon from experience owning a few.
He is best not rushing getting one he knows he will not like due to limited features, to keep him happy all round my advice is the above my friend
Foxy

silverfox0786
21-11-10, 17:15
oh yeah foxy i agree clones for me no way never but hey its not me buying its him i am trying to convince him but considering its his money he makes the choice. i dont want to buy a duo/solo and then he says to me na thats not what i want. i am going to speak to him in regatds to a tm 5/600 see what he says on those. at the end of the day if its not a duo he has to sacrifise a few functions

Stanman
21-11-10, 19:06
One other thing to consider SF is what TV he has. I bought a mater a TM600 and on his LCD the picture is piss poor. I would say go for either the 7025 or VU, personally I would go VU+ especially if he has HD tv

Foxylady
21-11-10, 19:18
Why not show him the replies here, then the pressure off you and upto him, i'm sure if he did follow what we have said he will be happy all round.

jusaju
21-11-10, 19:20
But the issue now i'm having is he said he wants pvr possibly twin tuner and possibly HD so i looked at receivers for that and many are available but which one out of all of them will be within a nice budget and do all that.

Hi
With 100£ and also a Linux box.

If we leave some requirements away one possibility is OpenBox S9 HD Receiver.
It will work as a client and price is under100£.

But It´s normally the most expensive way to have few cheap receivers before buying a good one.Like vu+.

fintannl
21-11-10, 19:25
having had many clones i will say that SD clones are fine. However the DM800HD clone had many issues with HD picture quality. That was until the release of the L3 tuner which combined with an in-line amplifier gives very good quality HD. Also the support of a secondary tuner via USB has made the box nearly equate to a VU+ Duo. And I do say nearly as the VU+ is tops.

silverfox0786
22-11-10, 03:57
Why not show him the replies here, then the pressure off you and upto him, i'm sure if he did follow what we have said he will be happy all round.

i was thinking of that when he is net over i will do see what he says

Sicilian
22-11-10, 06:39
I think this all really depends on your cousins budget, once he decides how much he wants to spend we can help you deicde on the best receivver for his budget.

world-of-satellite.co.uk
22-11-10, 10:45
Once he's decided on a budget, give me a shout and we'll look at what we can offer you. If he could stretch to it I'd advise going for a VU+, with the current prices there's never been a better time to buy ;)

silverfox0786
23-11-10, 18:13
Once he's decided on a budget, give me a shout and we'll look at what we can offer you. If he could stretch to it I'd advise going for a VU+, with the current prices there's never been a better time to buy ;)

Thanks mate once decided i will give you a shout