PDA

View Full Version : Solo2 Overheating

Muhammad Aamer Hussain
26-07-14, 16:55
I have been experimenting with many images on my solo2. I am very much impressed with timeshift feature included in openpli4 with a lot of options in record menu like 'save timeshift till current time'. It also has a new style seek bar when in timeshift mode. But the problem I am facing at the moment is overheating the solo2. I am using glass utilities to monitor the temperature. Although I don't see any bad behavior by the box during high temperatures which could be 48c to 50c or some times beyond that. I have checked the temperature in other images like openvix and it remains about 41c to 43c which is acceptable but temperature like 50c or above is worrying. I am a newbie so need some advice

Stanman
26-07-14, 18:15
Is it an orginal?

In use here virtually whole day and never gets above 44

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

ismailbmw
26-07-14, 18:48
Check the usual things:

Like where the box located; inside a cabinet??
Anything else above or below the box, like a DVD player?
Are the ventilations clear?
Fan working? you should be able to hear or see the fan spinning.

My Duo2 is constantly on the whole day and in this uk weather is around 38oC

Muhammad Aamer Hussain
26-07-14, 19:43
It is original box. i have got it from world-of-satellite website. Actually i am after the timeshift plugin used in OpenPLi image. I have no temperature issues in OpenVix in the same environment with almost same configuration. If I can some how get OpenPLi timeshift features working in OpenVix, I would be more than happy to stick with OpenVix. It is just that i don't like limited features of timeshift in OpenVix

ronand
26-07-14, 20:12
The vix image also has the option to save timeshift

Stanman
26-07-14, 20:14
Time shift is integrated into the box.

Check the fan speed in the temp and fan control menu

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Larry-G
26-07-14, 20:24
ViX has some of the most advanced timeshift options available built rite into the image by default, andy spent months totally rewriting timeshift specifically for that purpose.

Muhammad Aamer Hussain
26-07-14, 20:26
OpenVix has the PTS feature no doubt but in my configuration it resets after every event change. In OpenPLi you can go back multiple events and even record your timeshift till the current time during an ongoing event. In OpenVix, you have to wait for the current event to finish so that the timeshift can be saved which is odd. I know that you can achieve that by recording every time you start watching but sometimes you do forget to press the record button. Actually timeshift is to avoid this situation but if it doesn't work like that what is the point of spending a lot of money on Solo2.:rolleyes:

Larry-G
26-07-14, 21:58
you are not paying for timeshift you are paying for the Vu+ solo2, The image is provided free of charge.

Muhammad Aamer Hussain
26-07-14, 22:33
It is fancontrol2 which have done the trick for me. Some one suggested me at OpenPLi forum. I have changed the RPM value to 1000 from 650. I donnt need to worry about timeshift any more because it is functioning in PLi as i wanted. Going back to OpenPLi :thumbsup:

Thanks every one

cactikid
26-07-14, 22:39
putting anything in a greenhouse atmosphere [ glass cabinet ] is not good unless adequate ventilation is given,boxes with internal hdd will run hotter:mad:adding a fan would help things.

judge
27-07-14, 02:16
I am very much impressed with timeshift feature included in openpli4 with a lot of options in record menu like 'save timeshift till current time'. It also has a new style seek bar when in timeshift mode.

Just flashed the latest nightly build of OpenPLI (OpenPLi-4.0-beta-vusolo2-20140726_usb.zip) on a Solo2.
Don't see any extra options for TS that haven't been working in ViX for a long time now? :confused:

36206 36207

PLI still seem to be playing catchup on TS, or am I missing something?

judge
27-07-14, 02:37
Same options on ViX. :confused:
36208 36209
Couch flashing of a user created back-up image on ViX is a lot easier than it is on PLI too.
ViX to PLI, easy.
PLI to ViX, bit of a nightmare.

Larry-G
27-07-14, 05:34
Just flashed the latest nightly build of OpenPLI (OpenPLi-4.0-beta-vusolo2-20140726_usb.zip) on a Solo2.
Don't see any extra options for TS that haven't been working in ViX for a long time now? :confused:

36206 36207

PLI still seem to be playing catchup on TS, or am I missing something?

yeah not too surprising, although Pli will say it was theirs first.

Rob van der Does
27-07-14, 05:48
I have been experimenting with many images on my solo2. I am very much impressed with timeshift feature included in openpli4 with a lot of options in record menu like 'save timeshift till current time'. It also has a new style seek bar when in timeshift mode.
Although this doesn't answer your question: a pity you didn't try the timeshift options ViX offers you. After all PLi copied them from ViX, long after ViX had those embedded in a fine working state.

PS: Is it you, asking the same question on
http://openpli.org/forums/topic/34429-vu-solo2-overheating-on-pli-image/?view=findpost&p=435577

Muhammad Aamer Hussain
27-07-14, 17:41

These are some of the new PTS features I have found in OpenPLi.

It is "enigma2-plugin-extensions-permanenttimeshift - 1.4a - Permanent Timeshift Plugin for E2 boxes" currently present in their feeds. I don't know whether this plugin was developed by OpenPLi coders or is a 3rd party plugin but it is working on my solo2 without any problems so far. I can go back multiple events and also I can save timeshift of "curren event until this time". In VIX you have to wait for the current event to finish before your timeshift get saved

Muhammad Aamer Hussain
27-07-14, 17:49
Yes I also posted my questions on OpenPLi forum and there someone suggested me to use fancontrol2 plugin and it really helped me to control the temperature.

Rob van der Does
27-07-14, 21:24
[In VIX you have to wait for the current event to finish before your timeshift get saved
Nope.
You really should have a better look then.

Muhammad Aamer Hussain
28-07-14, 01:15
Nope.
You really should have a better look then.

Well, I have been looking into it since last week. First of all "Time shift save record (until this time)" is not available in current VIX record menu, Second when I press timeshift record in VIX during an on-going event which is not finished yet, It tells me to wait till the end of the event. Obviously you just want to save your timeshift in some circumstances when you don't have time to wait till the end of the event. I check in the recording list after that nothing appears there. I don't know whether it is working for other people or not but it is definitely not working for me. This forced me to go for OpenPLi where it is working. But still my opinion is in favour of OpenVix as more stable image than OpenPLi. It is just about these two functions I am moaning about;

1- Going back multiple events in a sequence
2- Save timeshift until current time without waiting the end of an event

If I knew how to code in enigma2, I would have done it myself for OpenVIX instead of making an issue out of it. There are people on this forum telling me that I have paid for the box not for the image. Every one knows Solo2 is useless without a stable image, so I don't understand the logic behind saying that. Instead of appreciating the fact that some one is giving positive feedback for future development, people are criticizing here which discourages me to come here and share my findings.

abu baniaz
28-07-14, 01:57
Eid Mubarak. Please leave the attitude elsewhere.

The save option is only presented if Time shift is active. Have you made timeshift start automatically? Please also note the 4th option.
Menu > Setup > System > Timeshift Settings >

Muhammad Aamer Hussain
28-07-14, 02:21
Eid Mubarak. I am not discussing timeshift I am after some of the features brother. Check my posts and pictures carefully before jumping on conclusions. I am not in attitude but someone is definitely angry on me. I am still a newbie so please calm down. I really appriciate your efforts but unfortunately it doesn't help me sorry brother have a good Eid.

nsw9154
28-07-14, 02:41
I use Time shift all the time and I mean all the time and I have to say that Vix dose every thing I require of it I had a Solo2 but have now Changed to a Duo2 and a LX3,but the Solo2 was a very capable Receiver and when I fitted a Second sat cable to it I was Hooked,and with the Recording and Time Shift capabilities of the Solo2,
it meant that I would never miss that favourite TV program again :( well that was the plan :rolleyes: but who Decided to Transmit the Moto GP /World Superbikes/British Superbikes / and the F1 all at the same time as the Football on a Sunday :eek: so a Receiver or two with 4 Tuners was required and it can get complicated at times but it is fun :D and made even better with Vix and it's Time shifting capabilities it has all the options you should need

you beat me to it abu

abu baniaz
28-07-14, 02:59
May have found a bug with TS starting automatically. I'll post in dev section later.

With regards to post 19, that option is worded differently. As you can see from screenshot, you can save what has been subject to TS in two methods, which I rephrase: Save up to now only or second option, let me change channel but convert/save what was TS until that program finishes.

Nobody's angry at you, may be some misunderstanding. However, bear in mind image is free. It is made/improved voluntarily.

Muhammad Aamer Hussain
28-07-14, 04:17
I have reflashed VIX again to check that, it does work some times when the file size is little but most of the times I don't find any movie in the recordings after changing the channel and sometimes 0 mb file which is not playable. Some other odd behaviours I have noticed;

1- When I rewind live channel and go to TS mode, It reverses back twice and then play from where it started TS.

2- When I press stop button while in TS mode to come out of TS and want to go back to live broadcast, it goes to a bit before the live broadcast but never comes out of TS mode until I keep on fast forwarding to the point from where the live broadcast starts and then it comes out. Strange isn't it but it doesn't happen in OpenPLi

3- I can not rewind back in multiple events in a sequence in VIX. TS only goes back to the start of the current event. Although you can record the last event from the record menu if it was timeshifted but in OpenPLi you can rewind back multiple events in a sequence they were timeshifted.

Now if it was due to my hardware configuration, (which I thought so far until I tried OpenPLi), it should have given the same result on OpenPLi.

Rob van der Does
28-07-14, 05:03
ad 3: yes, you can.

As I said before: PLi only copied the features we have in ViX for ages.

Muhammad Aamer Hussain
31-07-14, 13:17
ad 3: yes, you can.

As I said before: PLi only copied the features we have in ViX for ages.

I have updated to Apollo build 23 but it is still the same can't rewind back to the previous event. Any suggestion ???

abu baniaz
31-07-14, 13:38
Enable debug logs and upload them.

Muhammad Aamer Hussain
31-07-14, 13:52
Enable debug logs and upload them.

I have enabled debug log, but there are many logs in logs manager, don't know which one to send or shall i have to test the timeshift again and then check the log again to find the timeshift related log. I have got all the logs relating to enigma crash at the moment

Rob van der Does
31-07-14, 13:54
IIRC going back to the previous event is done via |< or a button like that.

For debuglogs: there is a date behind it; always make sure to send the last one.

abu baniaz
31-07-14, 13:59
Crash logs are produced when there is a crash. These are not required.

Debug logs document what is going on or not as the case may be. As a reboot is required for these to be activated, you will lose the timeshift that was taking place. Please upload the debug logs after you have timeshifted an event, gone onto a new event and then as you say, failed to timeshift top the event prior to the current one.

Muhammad Aamer Hussain
31-07-14, 14:58
Crash logs are produced when there is a crash. These are not required.

Debug logs document what is going on or not as the case may be. As a reboot is required for these to be activated, you will lose the timeshift that was taking place. Please upload the debug logs after you have timeshifted an event, gone onto a new event and then as you say, failed to timeshift top the event prior to the current one.

Thanks, I have uploaded the debug log with 1406814850.03, what to expect now ?

abu baniaz
31-07-14, 15:21
Expect nothing.

Hope that someone will give up their free time to look at the log. Try to identify issue if applicable, attempt to reproduce it, make edits to try and resolve it. Post test in developer section (sometimes you fix one thing and it has an adverse effect on something else). Once tested it will make its way into image.

Davidtjm
08-08-14, 09:35
Although using a DUO rather than Solo I'm convinced that the cooling fan is either inadequate or draws insufficient airflow after so many hours or months usage. One evening last winter the DUO went haywire when the central heating was up full and the room was very warm - too warm. Had to initialise the HDD and it worked ok for a few months and the same thing occured - I noticed that the box was hot to touch. The 12v cooling fan is rated at 0.07a corresponding to a power level of 0.84watts. There are (12v 0.12a ~ 1.44w)replacement fans available which I used as replacement a few weeks ago. No trouble since

Rob van der Does
08-08-14, 11:17
Heat that you feel at the cover has left the components, and are thus a good sign.

Davidtjm
10-08-14, 18:43
Hold it! Got a message this morning at boot up indicating an (electrical) current error. Seems like my Duo senses excessive current drawn on PSU. System bombed and I had to reflash. Took out higher current fan and replaced with new fan with same spec as original ie., 0.07a. You live and learn!