PDA

View Full Version : Happiness.

Monty
24-04-10, 11:52
Greetings .
After waiting so long for the arrival of my VU+ Duo, it finally arrived right in the middle of me replacing the gearbox in my sons Transit van.
It sat in its brown box for about 6 hours till I had finished and showered, then I grabbed it and ran up here (my den in the loft).
With a big stupid grin on my face I carefully opened the box and there it was my long awaited toy .
Eager to see it live, I quickly hooked it up to my feed and TV and powered it on.
I ran through the setup which was easy and pretty intuitive and within minutes all was working with the settings included in the standard image.
So, within 5 minutes of opening the box I thought “I’ll finally go read about images, settings and plugins on this forum”. I had avoided reading much about the box and it’s workings thinking I would save it all till the hardware was in my hands, so I opened my browser and pointed it to these forums and promptly got a “404” error, arrrrggggg!
I resisted the urge to look elsewhere for the info cos that’s the type of guy I am (loyal) , so I just fiddled about a bit with the original image and settings, and went to bed.

Early next day, well, early for me  8.30, I headed up my stairs, switched pc on and headed for these forums again. Damn, still no forums, “that Sicilian dude is messing with my head”, I thought. 
So I decided to go ahead and fit a hard drive to the VU+.
I had originally planned to fit a Samsung 1TB F3 which I had bought in advance, but just days ago, my CCTV hard drive became so noticeably noisy; I ran diagnostics on it and found errors so I replaced it with my Samsung F3.
I still had a WD 250GB 2.5 inch drive lying here so I decided to use that till I could get another new drive.
Carefully I removed the 5 screws securing the cover of the VU+.
I can confirm the hardware version is 2.2 (see pic).

I removed the 4 screws securing the HDD tray inside the VU+, and discovered that it can’t mount a 2.5 HDD.
I came up with a cunning plan and “modified” the HDD tray with some advanced materials (see Pic), and pretty soon the 2.5 HDD was in and initialized.
Tried a few recordings and all was sweet 
Time for a new image, (no I didn’t change my hairstyle) I first tried the latest VTI and to cut a longer story short, in no time I got a green screen.
I then flashed the latest VU+ original, 4.5 I think it was, and went through the setup again, and quite quickly had it running sweet again.
Time for another image, the latest PLi nightly build.
Flashed in no time, setup network, FTP’d catseye’s settings (thanks catseye), and off it went happy as Larry 
Checked a few channels on different sats and all were looking good.
Downloaded MGCAM and FTP’d key things and within seconds I had my sports (and adult sport) channels on W1 clearing
That’s where I’m at now, not rushing it, just taking it easy.
The VU+ Duo is a big receiver in comparison to any I have owned lately, but it has a solid feel, good build quality, and doesn’t have that “empty box” feel that you get when lifting some receivers.
The picture quality on SD is very good, better than that from my DM600 PVR, and the little HD that I have viewed so far is excellent.
Recording multiple channels is a breeze and streaming channel from VU+ to PC using the web interface was easier and gave better results than I have ever had with any receiver.
It’s still early days and I look forward to may happy hours fiddling
So a big thank you to Antony at Sat_Shop for finally sorting out my needs :)
and a big hug to Sic for giving me somewhere talk rubbish :)

Sicilian
24-04-10, 11:57
Great review Monty m8 and I'm really happy that your happy with it, I know you've been waiting a while for delivery. Sorry the forums where down, damn hosting company where a bunch of muppets lol!

Monty
24-04-10, 12:00
It's not a review sic, it's just my blind fumbling experiences over the last 2 days :)
Now I'm looking to make a backup and try something new :D
I really did miss being here, wbut all's well that ends well.

grtmoby
24-04-10, 12:02
thanks monty, a well thought-of trick for the hdd...

hope u enjoy it to the max....

Monty
24-04-10, 12:03
LoL grt, let's hope the post man drops more of those rubber bands in my driveway :

Sicilian
24-04-10, 12:08
LoL grt, let's hope the post man drops more of those rubber bands in my driveway :

Thought I recognised them advanced materials lmao!

bobonthejob
24-04-10, 15:08
Quality post dude. Sounds like you are happy with it? If this ain't a review then I guess there is one comming soon. Enjoy that baby. First impressions?

grtmoby
24-04-10, 15:09
first impressions last forever ;)

Monty
24-04-10, 15:17
First impression was "it's big" oo er missus :)
Build is obviously solid feeling.
Not as ugly as I thought looking at pics online, it's quite normal looking :)
Sits well under my TV.
I'm new to E2 but anyhting I have tried with the openPLi has worked.
So many plugins and so little time:)
All I want to do it make a complete backup suitable for USB flashing, already backed up settings but want the lot in 1 go.

bobonthejob
24-04-10, 15:26
Lol. Once you are all set with what you want then testing other images will be fun. Get the initial backup done. This is my first box so am always learning. But all great fun.

Monty
24-04-10, 15:28
I have installed NFI backup plugin and it seemed to run ok, I just can't find the backup :D

Peter
24-04-10, 15:29
Been away so have missed the info. You guys got your boxes yet ?

Monty
24-04-10, 15:30
Got mine Thursday afternoon Peter :D

bobonthejob
24-04-10, 15:31
Monty has got his box now. Did you stick with your order?

bobonthejob
24-04-10, 15:34
Bacup will be in /media/hdd/vuplus/duo for USB backup. And /media/hdd/ for nfi backup.

Monty
24-04-10, 15:38
LOL bob, nope.
Looked there when I did the backup.
Theres no vuplus directory in /media/hdd, and no backup file in /media/hdd.
I'll reboot it and try again :)

bobonthejob
24-04-10, 15:41
You initialize the drive after install ?

Monty
24-04-10, 15:43
Yea bob drive is fine.
Rebooted and now can see media/hdd/backup/NFI-Backup/backup-dm8000-2010-04-24@13.31.36-SSL-76.nfi
But no /media/hdd/vuplus/duo , the directory doesn't exist soI guess the plugin I used does not do USB version of backup, only nfi.

bobonthejob
24-04-10, 15:48
What image you on? On pli image the nfibackup creates both I thought versions. On dreamelite bh youhave different scripts for nfi and USB backups.

Sicilian
24-04-10, 17:04
Monty, did you install the plugin from PLI addons menu? If so it dont work. Un-install it and use this one here http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?13-Backup-tool-for-Vuplus-NFI-images-including-USB-Support

Peter
25-04-10, 10:55
Monty has got his box now. Did you stick with your order?

No Bob. Still chewing it over. Certainly sounds good though

zappahey
25-04-10, 16:30
Well done on getting your box.

I got mine on Friday (locally from Guido at Flanders Digital) and dashed home in excitement only to discover that some muppets dug through the telephone cable in the street.

Belgacom says I might have service back on Monday :(

Just popped up to the in-laws to download a couple of images for testing.

Monty
25-04-10, 17:01
Man zappahey, that's some unlucky crap happening to you.
Good backup plan tho, get them images and have some fun with tha box :D

bobonthejob
25-04-10, 18:27
That is some shody luck.

Peter
25-04-10, 20:26
Just to cheer you guys up and based on your obvious need to help me have just ordered mine
Been busy. Will start reading again now.

Peter
25-04-10, 21:40
Monty You asked me a question: I use a patched box for viewing TV. bot not often these days. The purpose of the box for me is that I have a Grandson in upper education who is in computer studies as a second subject. I have been in projects using Apple Macs for some time. Not been near Windows since the first version. Also a few Linux uses over the years. SO; I get asked for help out frequently. This box as well as adding interest generally for me is part of a project in a sense.
The original intention was a Dreambox, then this box came along. I hope to set up the box and allow the GS to use it when home on holidays. I don't have any great ambition for use. Not interested in CS. Will set t up (I hope) and take it from there. When you get old what happens is you forget all that you have learned in the past so in this respect I am starting from scratch again. Jargon is my present problem. Hope this makes some sense. Peter

Monty
25-04-10, 22:14
Peter, it makes sense, so no worries.
Having had dreamboxes in the past and dabbled a bit with them, I decided it was time for a HD box, and to be brutaly honest, I think DM's greed had me on the fence for some time. I ditched the idea of a DM800 sometime ago, and decided to wait as most HD boxes out there seemed to have very mixed reviews.
The reviews of the VU+DUO instantly rekindled my interest I getting a new box and now that I actually have it, I am very pleased indeed.
You will find it as tame or as wild as you desire. It can be set up with very easily and will perform brilliantly. If you want more bells and whistles, there are loads out there, and the list is ever growing.
Although I am playing with various images and plugins, I can say that the PLI image I used yesterday, is simple to setup and operate, and after I have had my fill of messing, I will most likely return to that image.
So to sum up, the box is great just used as a stable SAT TV box, but has abilities beyond that if that's where your interest lies.
I believe you will enjoy the box and hope you get it soon :)

gab2001uk
26-04-10, 01:08
Hi all, my first post here. I received my box on Thursday as well. So far very impressed.

I am new to Linux receivers as was previously using Windows box with USB tuner and T-Rex cam, which no longer works until a new predator s/w is forthcoming.

I tried the original image, Pli and now Dream Elite Black Hole. The pli did not scan all available channels on Astra 28, and BBC HD audio was out of synch. Also could not decrypt some subscription channels.

Black hole shows all channels and can now view everything I pay for. HD audio is in full synch.
I tried a 1TB HDD borrowed from a Fujitsu Siemens USB case, but could not get it recognised. Success with an old Seagate 80GB, which will do until I can get a new drive.

The built-in Nabilosat epg in BH is giving an improvement over the standard, but am still not happy with it. I will be hunting the www for suggestions on the best method.

So far I am one happy bunny, and thanks to ********* for keeping me informed of progress at all stages while waiting.

Twigman
26-04-10, 09:19
congrats Monty - your wait is finally over - I hope it has been worht it.......

mine may well be over soon as I think I am going to have to postpone my install until way later in the year...
SWMBO has forced me to take down my TD110 and it will be on e-bay this week.....
I won't be able to get a smaller dish on the rotor untl later in the summer and i see little point in investing in a box for just Astra 28.2 while I am tied to a Sly contract with a perfectly functioning (!!) Sly+HD box.....

so I will be cancelling :( but will be back later in the year by which time the box will be on rel 5.7 and have all the bugs fully ironed out ( oh and black remotes ftw )

Monty
26-04-10, 09:24
Aw Twiggy, that's just shocking.
Can't you work some magic on her? Turn on them special charms?
To have been waiting this long, then have to drop out before the finish line is just sad.
I respect your position if this really does turn out to be the case, but I hope things change and you don't have to wait months more.

bobonthejob
26-04-10, 09:31
Come on twigman....stick to your guns :-) you know you wont be dissapointed...

I did have a battle with the missus...to get the Visa stamped for this purchase too. Not the easiest of purchases....The way i looked at it was this will be a Long term investment.. Will pay itself off.

Peter
26-04-10, 10:58
Bob. I just hope I live long enough to gain something from the 'Long Term Investment. you mention.
Certainly helps to ward off those diseases that rot your brain.

Thomo?
26-04-10, 12:05
Bob. I just hope I live long enough to gain something from the 'Long Term Investment. you mention.
Certainly helps to ward off those diseases that rot your brain.

I hope i live long enough to even recieve mine! :-(

Peter
27-04-10, 14:10
A big aeroplane just flew over my house and the bloke driving hung out of the window and pointed to the back of the plane. Could be he had my box onboard or
was just showing off to my female neighbour. I do that hanging out of the car window. Then get breathless for no real reason.