PDA

View Full Version : GI-XSPEED LX3 fitting an Extra Fan

nsw9154
21-07-14, 17:11
I am very happy with my LX3 it is a great receiver but the only thing about it that gives me any concern is that the plug in tuners seem to get Extremely Hot :eek:
even when in standby, so I always put it in Deep Standby when I am not using it
I had the top case off yesterday to replace the cable tuner with a sat one and did a little experiment
I disconnected the internal fan and put it next to the tuners and it fit nicely so I think that a 40mm fan will do the job, as the standard fan is 50mm and slightly high to fit snugly in the recess,now the standard fan has a 2pin connection and I do not think that I will be able to find an adapter to split the fan in to 2 feeds but I do not really want to use the standard fan's connection in case it caused a problem with the power drain
But the Hard Drive is connected with a standard 4 pin molex connector so I should easily be able to run a extra feed from that to power the extra fan
but I am not sure if I will cause any problems with the power delivery to the Hard Drive or the Receiver for that matter
in principle and on paper it should work fine :rolleyes: it's just having the nerve to try it out, and Hopefully some one with a better nonage than me can tell me otherwise, here are a few pictures to show what I mean

Sicilian
21-07-14, 17:15
Many tuner modules get warm/hot, even the VU+ Duo2 twin tuner module gets hot, don't worry about it. I've tested the plug and play tuners with constant scanning for 8 hours+ until they really where roasting hot.

nsw9154
21-07-14, 17:22
That was a fast reply :eek: I was still editing pictures :D thank you for the quick reply Sicilian I was a little concerned and I supose that receivers like the Gigablue Quad seem to run ok without fans
I suppose that I could get a small frying pan and do some eggs :D

Larry-G
21-07-14, 17:25
That was a fast reply :eek: I was still editing pictures :D thank you for the quick reply Sicilian I was a little concerned and I supose that receivers like the Gigablue Quad seem to run ok without fans

you could always use one of hose cheap usb powered laptop pads to cool things down a little, I was thinking of doing something similar my self last week when i saw the temperature on my Quad hit 81 degrees.

Sicilian
21-07-14, 17:26
That was a fast reply :eek: I was still editing pictures :D thank you for the quick reply Sicilian I was a little concerned

Why? You have a 2 year warranty.

Exaggeration lol! Seriously though, I felt a few other receivers that actually do get hot, a lot hotter than LX3, to me the LX3 is warm.

Sicilian
21-07-14, 17:27
you could always use one of hose cheap usb powered laptop pads to cool things down a little, I was thinking of doing something similar my self last week when i saw the temperature on my Quad hit 81 degrees.

These receivers are manufactured to take the heat, honestly don't understand why people worry about it.

Larry-G
21-07-14, 17:34
These receivers are manufactured to take the heat, honestly don't understand why people worry about it.

I know but it's human nature to be wary of things that get hot, especially electrical items that in the worst case scenario could malfunction and cause a fire. Not saying it could or would happen but it's a niggle in the back of your mind when you see or feel something like a satellite receiver getting that hot, especially if like me you work any where upto 20 hrs a day. Hence why my receivers are for the most part fully powered off most of the time.

nsw9154
21-07-14, 18:00

funny you should mention that pheonix I was thinking about them trays that you used to fit under the old Dreamboxes with the extra fans to cool them down:D

DaMacFunkin
21-07-14, 19:02
I have one under my duo2 with quad sat tuner and the tuner connections get too hot to touch, the one I have is the cooler master xpad, had to get one from Germany as no one seemed to have one in the UK, unlike a lot of cooling pads it can lie completely flat and it is an exact size match for the duo 2, I also have my duo2 set to power down after being in standby for 90 mins.

nsw9154
21-07-14, 19:53
the Duo2 gets no where as hot as my LX3 both have 2 Sat cables fitted but it's the 2 plug in tuners that seem to get hot on the LX3
just checked my Duo2 and the temp is a cool 30c goodness knows what the LX3 temps are
I have just ordered 2 of them thermometers for checking the temp of chicken and cooked meat our lass wanted one for the Barbecue so I thought I may as well get my self one as well and I will try it out on them sat tuners on the LX3 :D

Thank you DaMacFunkin for the heads up on them coolers I should have known that they where Cooler master I use their stuff a lot in my PC I will do a search :thumbsup:

Stanman
21-07-14, 20:04
Make sure Fan is on and at a good speed.

On my DUO2 with quad tuners temp never gets above ealry 40's, where as my Quad hits double that.

nsw9154
21-07-14, 20:35
I have Quad tuners on my Duo2 but only tuners A and C are connected and the temps are fine it's the LX3 that is my concern as it has a fan but no fan control it's either on/off or Auto and no temps are shown but they get HOT, but like Sicilian said they are cool compared to other receivers he has tried

Sicilian
21-07-14, 20:41
I have Quad tuners on my Duo2 but only tuners A and C are connected and the temps are fine it's the LX3 that is my concern as it has a fan but no fan control it's either on/off or Auto and no temps are shown but they get HOT, but like Sicilian said they are cool compared to other receivers he has tried

Trouble is, what some people define as hot, others would define as warm. To me they're warm due to the amount of receivers I played with. Really would not worry about it. I've got a Solo SE here testing ViX, not hot round the tuner, but warm/hot round CPU area with a plastic lid, that I'm actually a little concerned about.

lemi
21-07-14, 20:41
I don't have LX3,but my LX2 is waaaaaaay much hotter then GigaBlue UE:eek:I can make bacon-egg breakfast every morning:D
IMHO LX--- is overrated:alien:

Sicilian
21-07-14, 20:47
Test a TM-7102, then you will see a hot receiver, trust me, LX are warm, not hot.

Sicilian
22-07-14, 09:49
Ok, to put this topic to bed, picked up locally a Infra Red Thermometer, temps as follows: -

LX3 Embedded tuners and plug and play tuners around 46/47 deg.
LX3 CPU temp 60 deg.

So there you go, nothing to worry about :D

shuggy
22-07-14, 10:46
is these boxes ok for 3.5 inch hdd 7200

Sicilian
22-07-14, 10:50
is these boxes ok for 3.5 inch hdd 7200

Yes fine, just be aware of the wifi aerial fixed to side of HDD cradle when you fit your HDD.

Joe_90
22-07-14, 12:29

I've seen a few posts about the Quad running hot. I have a Quad Plus with an internal 2.5" HDD and even with it recording from two or three tuners it never goes over 46C. Hardware-wise the Quad and QUad Plus should be very similar so I'm surprised at the temp differences. Maybe the heatsink in the Plus is more efficient?

rossi2000
22-07-14, 12:53
my quad rose to 91c the other day, so i had to lift it off the top of my AV reciever, that dropped it by 10c or so.
ive noticed it does run hot.

nsw9154
22-07-14, 14:15
Yes fine, just be aware of the wifi aerial fixed to side of HDD cradle when you fit your HDD.

I wondered what that cable was for I thought it was a earthing strip :confused: :D

shuggy
22-07-14, 19:15
hi guys just got lx3 cant ftp into box whats name password im used to duo is it root and dreambox ?? also hdd not showing up at all, tried 2 different 1s there is actually no hdd wires inside the box to connect to, i tried using the hdd cable that came with it but no joy ??

Larry-G
22-07-14, 19:19
The login details are always the same on a clean install of ViX
Username : root
password :

The password is always left blank, but some programs will require you to input one, you can manually change the password to one of your choosing by using the passwd command in a telnet session.

shuggy
22-07-14, 19:25
yeah im getting connection refused on 3 different ftp progs and whats up with the hdd ?? is there supposed to be cables already installed inside the box to connect to or do u have to use the 1 in the box, also no 2 pin plug and is there supposed to be a usb wireless thing i saw on picture on box there was 1 but not inside ?? thanx for any help

nsw9154
22-07-14, 19:30

you should receive all of this with the box and the LX3 has Wireless (WLAN) built in

shuggy
22-07-14, 19:32
yeah got that np so is that the hdd cable ive to use eh as ive connected that to 2 hdds and then to the box via the only plug that it would fit into and no hdd seen ?? u dont use the 4 pin bit on the hdd cable do u ?? just the other 2 bits no joy here

nsw9154
22-07-14, 19:45

This is from inside my LX3 you can see how the leads connect

shuggy
22-07-14, 19:46
i also dont see the bit in the system menu bit where u can press initialise or the like does that only appear when u have the hdd set up

also getting Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server". with filezilla

thanx for any help in advance they should make them all like vuduo lol

shuggy
22-07-14, 19:47

This is from inside my LX3 you can see how the leads connect

ok thanx for the pics m8 i dint see anywhere to put the 4 pin plug but i see where u have it thanx

nsw9154
22-07-14, 19:55
them white cables sometimes obscure the power socket I had to look twice as some receivers use a 4pin block like the Duo2

shuggy
22-07-14, 19:56
yeah i couldnt see it at first was looking in wrong place lol thanx m8 i feel like a newbie all over again lol just the ftp to fix now

nsw9154
22-07-14, 20:02
you should not have any problem connecting with FileZilla that's what I use all the time are you Hard wired connected with a Cat5 Ethernet cable or trying through WLAN

shuggy
22-07-14, 20:04
yeah all same set up as my old vuduo, im surprised myself, just looked on ftp settings on the system menu and it says stopped, pressed green to enable but no joy

ran network test and all green so network is all working but ftp is stopped, i read on openatv site that someone had to make a startup script , another says had to flash 3 times ? thanx for ur help m8

shuggy
23-07-14, 00:44
can the wlan be conflicting ?? i saw that in another post tried to install samba now box is hanging so im gonna refash just got it too lol

shuggy
23-07-14, 01:09
got it to ftp, had to reflash i def think the wlan war affecting it thanks to use who helped