PDA

View Full Version : Strange problems

marty
20-07-14, 10:45
My mum has an VU+ Duo (bought sometime in 2011/2012) and yes its a genuine one :) It has a 500gb INT HDD and 4gb USB stick for backups and EPG data.

It's been acting a bit strange these last few months :confused: I had re flashed it a few times with different versions of VIX but still had the same results (fresh setups and restores)

1. Sometimes the EPG data is missing (when pressing the EPG button) and is still missing after a reboot, the only way to get it back is to download it again.
2. Quite often when playing back a media file spinning VIX appears on the screen and won't go away (at this point the media playback is no longer playing) sometimes if you wait a long time it will react again, other times the VIX spinner freezes and the only option is the rocker switch ;)
3. Sometimes recordings fail and when I looked into it both the HDD and USB stick are both mounted as HDD :eek:

Anyway I put it down to them being old :p so I took it away to try here.

I did a fresh install (again) and tried it in the living room for a while to keep an eye on it and so far it seems to be OK except for the fact it has powered down itself 3 times now :nono: for no reason and it will not power back on with the remote or power button on the box. When you press the power button on the remote a little white LED lights up on the front panel (NOTHING is displayed on the VFD whatsoever) only the rocker switch will bring it back.

Any ideas? I'm convinced it is a hardware issue myself.

Larry-G
20-07-14, 11:01
Does sound like a hardware issue especially as it's now getting on a little, maybe have a look to see if the caps are bulging ? IE red LED of death.

marty
20-07-14, 11:05
Does sound like a hardware issue especially as it's now getting on a little, maybe have a look to see if the caps are bulging ? IE red LED of death.

Was thinking the same, TBH the box seems VERY hot (been in standby all morning, not in use) the SF8 is sat right next to it and that's cold to touch. I didn't think it would generate that much heat in standby? All my other boxed are cool/cold when in standby.

BTW, cap looks OK visually but that doesn't mean it is 100% OK.

Larry-G
20-07-14, 11:23
The thing to remember is that even in standby these boxes are pretty much still working flat out, only some minor functions are closed down such as audio and video output, only when they are in deepstanby are they truly closed down, barring some deep core functions for waking to record etc.

marty
20-07-14, 11:26
The thing to remember is that even in standby these boxes are pretty much still working flat out, only some minor functions are closed down such as audio and video output, only when they are in deepstanby are they truly closed down, barring some deep core functions for waking to record etc.

Pretty stupid for the fan to stop working in standby then :D

Larry-G
20-07-14, 11:35
Pretty stupid for the fan to stop working in standby then :D

Could not agree more, on every box I have that has a fan that supports the fancontrol plugin mine are set to at least a third to half speed even in standby.

marty
20-07-14, 11:46
Could not agree more, on every box I have that has a fan that supports the fancontrol plugin mine are set to at least a third to half speed even in standby.

Still, the GB 800UE+ and SF8 have NO fans and they are cool to touch when in standby.

Anyway this is a separate issue, my mum was having these problems when it was still winter :D

Stanman
20-07-14, 13:17
Your freezing may be related to the temp. Worth checking how hot its running.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

timofee
20-07-14, 21:22
With the old VU+ Duos it's worth setting up a swap file.