PDA

View Full Version : Sky and HD channels

fintannl
18-07-14, 17:31
So users are aware the HD issue is not a quick fix. In the past the nds data was supplied from the satellite (mpeg stream) directly to the card. Oscam/cccam etc.. identified the card, took in the nds request and supplied the response so the channel opened on the local (and remote) system. In the latest iteration the nds data is still supplied by the satellite dish (mpeg stream) but now the box further encrypts the data coming from that mpeg stream. This encrypted data is then internally decrypted and sent to the card which opens the channel. To achieve the same result in a Linux situation is simply impossible unless you know the algorithm for this internal encryption/decryption. Untill a snowden type disgruntled employee releases the algorithm HD will remain black.

So there is good news. Many users ask when the standard def option is likely to die. The reality is that SD will not die for some years. The internal encryption/decryption used by sky cannot be managed by the traditional sky SD box. Yet sky must service these customers. The SD box chipset is not capable of handling the new internal encryption/decryption. As such sky cannot turn off SD channels until it has replaced every SD box with a HD box. Considering this is somewhere between 5 and 7 million users the cost to sky for this replacement policy will extend past 2 billion (euro and probably sterling). So it ain't going to happen anytime soon.

twol
18-07-14, 18:44
So users are aware the HD issue is not a quick fix. In the past the nds data was supplied from the satellite (mpeg stream) directly to the card. Oscam/cccam etc.. identified the card, took in the nds request and supplied the response so the channel opened on the local (and remote) system. In the latest iteration the nds data is still supplied by the satellite dish (mpeg stream) but now the box further encrypts the data coming from that mpeg stream. This encrypted data is then internally decrypted and sent to the card which opens the channel. To achieve the same result in a Linux situation is simply impossible unless you know the algorithm for this internal encryption/decryption. Untill a snowden type disgruntled employee releases the algorithm HD will remain black.

So there is good news. Many users ask when the standard def option is likely to die. The reality is that SD will not die for some years. The internal encryption/decryption used by sky cannot be managed by the traditional sky SD box. Yet sky must service these customers. The SD box chipset is not capable of handling the new internal encryption/decryption. As such sky cannot turn off SD channels until it has replaced every SD box with a HD box. Considering this is somewhere between 5 and 7 million users the cost to sky for this replacement policy will extend past 2 billion (euro and probably sterling). So it ain't going to happen anytime soon.

And in Germany (arguable their largest potential country) they are fighting to replicate the same system, but losing customers who are fed with their tactics of forcing new boxes (paired cards) onto a country that have been using receivers (of their choice) for decades.
After many interactions between the lawyer acting for a group of friends they are down to either Sky reinstate their Premiere cards ( which is the predecessor and Sky have blocked) or go to court.
Interesting decision for Sky, they don't want either ( many Germans have an insurance that covers court cases).

ontoplums
18-07-14, 21:56
Fairly new to this, is there any way to get HD channels if we were to use a motorised dish and use a different provider? What's the options?

twol
18-07-14, 22:21
You can receive all the FTA HD channels from e.g. BBC or from other FTA channels on other satellites....it's just Sky UK that restrict your access.

cactikid
18-07-14, 22:53
is sky italy not the same no access to hd also:D

fintannl
18-07-14, 23:30
is sky italy not the same no access to hd also:D
Ttiz a funny thing but I have heard many assertions with foxtel and sky Italia now being open. Utterly ludicrous. Wud like to meet the software designer who managed to replicate the algorithm or the hacker who managed to read the software off the sky firmware. It would be impossible to replicate the algorithm from scratch. It probably is possible to rip the sky source code from a current box and re-engineer it.

DaMacFunkin
19-07-14, 07:40
On a few underground forums there are more and more people claiming that "they have managed to open some Italia HD channels" I won't say any more than that because until I see it I won't believe it, but some of the guys claiming it are balls deep in this stuff shall we say.

seame
19-07-14, 08:35
I've managed to get my HD channels clearing by wrapping a 1mm copper wire around a two pence piece then covering it with some tinfoil and fixing it to the end of my LNB with some double sided sticky tape :eek:

stevie65
19-07-14, 09:43
I've managed to get my HD channels clearing by wrapping a 1mm copper wire around a two pence piece then covering it with some tinfoil and fixing it to the end of my LNB with some double sided sticky tape :eek:

:):eek::):thumbsup::eek::)

Walt
19-07-14, 18:15
Would you mind uploading a video of you setting it up so newbies can follow?

turnerfromdover
19-07-14, 20:10

Hey Seame , Does it matter which brand of tinfoil you use ?? :eek:

ismailbmw
19-07-14, 20:34
Bloody hell this tinfoil works 100%. But only with the smartprice ASDA brand. I got all my HD channels back. A big thanks to seame.....:eek:

netguy
19-07-14, 21:05
i found something on line by chance a site has all sky hd there tv guide shows all sat hd channels sky italia so im think they did something

Tyler
19-07-14, 21:57
If you fold the tin foil over itself 8 times this also bring in all Comcast channels from America.
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

satmanbasil
19-07-14, 22:16
Hi

I gave it a try today and omg it works even managed to spit roast a chicken on the dish at the same time make sure ur dish points towards the sun for best results;)

seame
19-07-14, 22:58
Bloody hell this tinfoil works 100%. But only with the smartprice ASDA brand. I got all my HD channels back. A big thanks to seame.....:eek:

Wow I'm shocked :confused: I tried the asda stuff but couldn't get the channels to clear, in the end I had to use the heavy gauge stuff :)

kota
19-07-14, 23:50
Beleive it or not been getting ALL $ky it HD channels for weeks now.

Just so you know it.

Cheers

Mr. Mister
19-07-14, 23:58
Old 0919 CAID.. ??

kota
20-07-14, 00:02
yes ... don't know how long it will last before it gets
burned but still working ...

Mr. Mister
20-07-14, 00:15
I thought they had replaced all those by now..

Good stuff.. Enjoy it while it lasts buddy..

kota
20-07-14, 00:17
I will ;-)

John861
30-01-16, 10:49
Thanks

Sky news HD is not clearing itv/BBC are clearing.

Any ideas what the problem may be?

Willmoore
30-01-16, 12:20
Thanks

Sky news HD is not clearing itv/BBC are clearing.

Any ideas what the problem may be?

You will only get Sky HD channels on an official receiver.

gibbletts
30-01-16, 14:40
Sky news hd went ages ago

2stein
30-01-16, 16:33
there is no ci+ option like in germany or the hd channels?