PDA

View Full Version : [ViX_Misc] New Vu+ Drivers for new linux kernels (15.07.2014)

Larry-G
15-07-14, 18:21
Please be advised that the following Vu+ drivers are for newer linux kernels and are not compatible with any currently available image, If you use any of these drivers with a current image your receiver will not boot.

please be patient and wait for the various Image teams to release their own updated images with the appropriate linux kernels.

The drivers in question are named as such.

vuplus-dvb-modules-bm750-3.9.6-20140715.tar.gz
vuplus-dvb-modules-vuduo2-3.13.5-20140715.tar.gz
vuplus-dvb-modules-vuultimo-3.9.6-20140715.tar.gz
vuplus-dvb-modules-vusolose-3.13.5-20140715.tar.gz
vuplus-dvb-modules-vusolo2-3.13.5-20140715.tar.gz

bellejt
15-07-14, 18:25
thx for warning :p

DaMacFunkin
15-07-14, 18:54
Is there are log file for what these driver updates contain?

Larry-G
15-07-14, 18:59
Not at the moment, looks like they may have been posted in error, but now they are out, We felt it prudent to warn users not to use them with existing images as they are for a newer as yet unreleased kernel.

ismailbmw
16-07-14, 10:23
Hi Phoenix seems like you know of newer kernelin the pipeline. I appreciate you may not be able to give much away. but any timescales?

Larry-G
16-07-14, 14:36
Hi Phoenix seems like you know of newer kernelin the pipeline. I appreciate you may not be able to give much away. but any timescales?

Sorry but we never give ETA's for any image.

Creators
16-07-14, 18:58
http://www.opena.tv/vu-/1827-drivers-duo-duo2-solo-solo2-uno-ultimo-8.html#post65559

Larry-G
16-07-14, 20:28
http://www.opena.tv/vu-/1827-drivers-duo-duo2-solo-solo2-uno-ultimo-8.html#post65559

As I said the kernels are not in the public domain, so you can not use these drivers, wait until the image teams release their own images.

Larry-G
17-07-14, 08:33
Now that Vu+ have submitted these officially to their GIT here are the changelogs.

Add model soloSE & update kernel and drivers.

* Add model SoloSE
* Update Kernel 3.13.5(solo2, duo2, solose)
* Update Kernel 3.9.6(duo, solo, uno, ultimo)
* Update r8192cu (4.0.2)
* Add patch for usbtunerhelper
* Update bridge-utils (1.4 -> 1.5)

* Update dvbapp
- Set sync PCR at PIP mode.

* Update drivers
- 20140715(duo, solo, duo2, solo2, solose)
- 20140716(uno, ultimo)
- Support SoloSE
- Switch to Kernel 3.13.5(solo2, duo2, solose)
- Switch to Kernel 3.9.6(duo, solo, uno, ultimo)
- Fix sound drop in radio channel
- Improve PIP(solo2, duo2, solose, Needs E2 update)
- Allocate more memory to linux(duo2)
- Improve media playback

http://code.vuplus.com/gitweb/?p=vuplus_openvuplus;a=commit;h=0d6acda3c9daf671af 6c3a8e02270bae96286cd6

tappari
17-07-14, 11:01
Just would like to see, that in next Apollo image T2 automatic scan operates as it should.

dax
20-07-14, 12:27
I think that the apollo 022 doesn't contains the latest kernel and drivers.. I'm right?

Rob van der Does
20-07-14, 12:36
Yes .

ismailbmw
20-07-14, 13:51
I guess the question is when would the new kernels be implemented into the images?
Because my understanding is that the new kernels are still not safe to use with for example Apollo 22.

Larry-G
20-07-14, 14:03
It's not that they are unsafe to use, but there are still a few issues we feel need to be ironed out before we are ready to release our image with these kernels and drivers. as for a timeframe, the answer is always the same, we cant give ETA's as we simply do not know.

tappari
25-07-14, 05:40
It's not that they are unsafe to use, but there are still a few issues we feel need to be ironed out before we are ready to release our image with these kernels and drivers. as for a timeframe, the answer is always the same, we cant give ETA's as we simply do not know.
I have tested latest VTI image in my DUO2. Finally automatic scan operates ok with T2 tuners. Please try to do the same with ViX. I would like to come back since the GUI is a bit clumsy in VTI.:)

Rob van der Does
25-07-14, 05:44
Please try to do the same with ViX.
Please near in mind that all VTi has to do is to add some plugins to the image VU+ has provided.
While we have to invent all kinds of stuff to be able to update to their new kernel. This is a major effort.

tappari
25-07-14, 06:16
Please near in mind that all VTi has to do is to add some plugins to the image VU+ has provided.
While we have to invent all kinds of stuff to be able to update to their new kernel. This is a major effort.
Fully understood. Just do your best.

Rob van der Does
25-07-14, 06:48
Don't we always :cool:

DaMacFunkin
26-07-14, 07:40
New Black Hole has latest Vu+ drivers & kernel, I'm just saying guys lol. :D

Larry-G
26-07-14, 07:47
Without intending insult you do realize that BH and VTI are both basically running a stock VU+ OI with their own plugins etc added on, and as such they don't need any extra development to incorporate these new kernels ?.

For the rest of us it's not going to be so easy as there are some serious issues with these kernels which need working through before a release is even considered.

Sicilian
26-07-14, 07:50
Not to mention VU+'s screw up with the Solo SE drivers, last update broke recording and timeshift.

Larry-G
26-07-14, 07:52
Not to mention VU+'s screw up with the Solo SE drivers, last update broke recording and timeshift.

LOL yeah......

DaMacFunkin
26-07-14, 10:24
Without intending insult you do realize that BH and VTI are both basically running a stock VU+ OI with their own plugins etc added on, and as such they don't need any extra development to incorporate these new kernels ?.

For the rest of us it's not going to be so easy as there are some serious issues with these kernels which need working through before a release is even considered.
I was just saying that a new Black Hole had been released with the new kernel, i knew you would all take it personally...
But TBH honest i didn't know that Black Hole was that closely related to the original image, i always believed it was a completely in-house closed project.
Keep up the good work and don't take things too personally :thumbsup:

Larry-G
26-07-14, 10:40
I was just saying that a new Black Hole had been released with the new kernel, i knew you would all take it personally...

There is nothing for me to take personally, I was just stating that it is not a easy task to implement this new kernel into the image.

TBH honest i didn't know that Black Hole was that closely related to the original image, i always believed it was a completely in-house closed project.
Keep up the good work and don't take things too personally :thumbsup:

Yes it's fairly widely known that both VTI and BH are pretty much stock Vu+ images with a few plugins and customization's thrown in, added to the fact that BH are technically operating illegally by keeping their image closed source, but that is a discussion for another time and place.

Rob van der Does
26-07-14, 11:37
.... added to the fact that BH are technically operating illegally by keeping their image closed source.....
That applies to both BH & VTi.

rossi2000
26-07-14, 12:00
just asking...
why is it illegal to close source something?

granted it doesnt do much for the sat scene, but i didnt think it was illegal.

Larry-G
26-07-14, 12:06
just asking...
why is it illegal to close source something?

granted it doesnt do much for the sat scene, but i didnt think it was illegal.

I am not a coder so I can not go into specifics but the way I understand it, it's because they are using the Vu+ OI as their base and that is it self a opensource image, so they have taken a already opensource image and decided to close it up for their own reasons. I'm sure rob or some one else would be able to explain it in better terms than I have.

rossi2000
26-07-14, 12:11
ah right, i think i get what ya mean.
but that would be just the OE from VU thats opensource?

isnt bh/vti using there own E2? or is that vus aswell?

Larry-G
26-07-14, 12:15
ah right, i think i get what ya mean.
but that would be just the OE from VU thats opensource?

isnt bh/vti using there own E2? or is that vus aswell?

Not sure to be honest, You would probably need both a legal degree and have a good head for code to get all the way down to the very bottom of it.

Rob van der Does
26-07-14, 16:57
VTi & BH are using VU's image. So that 's OE and E2. Just read the GPL: it clearly states that all use of (their) Open Source software should include a copy of the software, either published on a public site or made available (send) on request.

And VU+ is bound to act this way, as they are using a clone (be it an old one) of DM's software, published under GPL as well.

Rob van der Does
26-07-14, 17:03
I asked VTi about it once: they said that including the x.py-files would cover for that.
Well, it doesn't, as only a part of E2 is compiled in python. OE (Linux) isn't and E2 only partially.

Trial
26-07-14, 19:05
Hi Rob,
perhaps they are only adding/changing Python and not C(++). A binary compare of E2 between BH/VTi and VU would be interesting.

ciao

Rob van der Does
26-07-14, 20:01
Even if that would be correct they don't comply with the GPL-license. An image is not a (copy of the) source.

thisntaht
20-08-14, 17:35
Hi Rob,

Quick question, Any progress on adding the latest vu kernels and drivers to upcoming vix image? Are ye working on it? :)
Just wondering :thumbsup:

DaMacFunkin
20-08-14, 18:51
Apparently Andy is taking a very long rest and the image won't be updated with the new kernel in the foreseeable future.

Sicilian
20-08-14, 18:56
Apparently Andy is taking a very long rest and the image won't be updated with the new kernel in the foreseeable future.

May I ask where this info came from? Because this is not entirely true. OE-A has updated from 2.2 to 2.3, we currently have issue building from 2.3.

thisntaht
20-08-14, 22:07
Ok, How do you know that, just curious? :confused:
Thats doesn't sound good for VIX if thats the case

dax
04-09-14, 08:39
The latest kernel/drivers for vu+ are included in apollo 029 or not yet? Because in the changelog i read only

[vuplus] * Update driver 20140829(solo2, solose) - Fix transcoding problem(solo2, solose) - Optimize memory usage(solo2)
Thath means new kernel/drivers?
Thanks in advance

DaMacFunkin
04-09-14, 12:33
They where implemented in 25...