PDA

View Full Version : VU Solo 2 or Miraclebox HD Premium?

markshore123
14-07-14, 19:42
Hi looking at these 2 about £50 difference but two sides for the reasons VU fast processor 1.3 dual core can transcode 256m flash 1g ram but fixed tuners.
Miraclebox removable tuners but cannot find much about what sort of dual core processor, has more flash but less ram but dont think it can transcode, swaying towards the solo for the extra £50.Was looking at cable so the idea was 1 sat + 1 cable tuner, to get the duo to do this i would have to but the usd cable tuner as well.
Anybody experienced both. Have a DM500HD but lacks any usb and only 64m flash! so takes ages to boot but still a good box.:confused:
Thanks

DaMacFunkin
14-07-14, 19:50
People who have had solo2 and bought miracle box can't get used to how slow the miracle box is in comparison.., about 700mhz dual core I believe.

Joe_90
14-07-14, 20:03
I've a Miraclebox HD Premium. It's a fine value box, well built, own power supply built in, will take a 3.5" hard drive internally. I have a DVB-S2 and a DVB-T2 tuner and I must say it's very reliable, plenty of flash storage on board and I've had no issues with RAM. Boots every time and has never let me down on a timer recording. It won't do HD picture in picture (PiP), though and I would doubt its transcoding abilities - I think it would struggle. I also have a Gigablue Quad Premium and it's somewhat sluggish in comparison. If you are looking for performance, look elesewhere. I can't comment on the Solo 2 as I have no experience of it.

nezzeo
15-07-14, 07:31
Miraclebox does feel slower, but only in terms of:
- Boot time
- Image backup
- EPG Refresh Pull

In terms of regular viewing, I've found the clearing times to be slightly slower but from what others are saying also (different boxes) this might be just cable clearing times going from sat to cable regardless of box. Its not disastrously slow, I'd say do a youtube vid for it see for yourself.

Do I miss my solo2? Yes
Do I regret buying a Miraclebox Premium Twin Tuner? No
What do I use my Miraclebox for? Watching TV and streaming it to XBMC Gotham (Live TV > VU+ plugin) and it does this flawlessly including HD on both tuners

Joe_90
15-07-14, 13:02
@nezzeo - I would agree with you. I use my Miraclebox as my own main machine, connected to motorised dish etc. I have a Quad Plus as the main family machine with two satellite and two terrestrial tuners. I may be being slightly unfair when I do speed comparisons between the Miraclebox and the much faster Quad Plus !

nsw9154
15-07-14, 14:20
I had both the Solo2 and the Miraclebox HD Premium and like fat-tony says the Miraclebox is a nice capable receiver
but I could not get used to the speed difference compared to the Solo2 it felt slugish and that remote control did my head in
then I bought the Golden Interstar LX3 and strangely enough it used the same remote control as the Miraclebox :(
now that was fun as every time I used the LX3's remote it operated the Miraclebox as well
even after I moved the receivers out of each others line of sight I still got the occasional unwanted channel change, and the strange thing was that the LX3 remote did not show any of the issues that I had with the miraclebox it operates fast and smooth and so it should as the LX3 uses the same processor as the Solo2 and Duo2 and now I like it,so I asked my beloved other half if she wanted the Miraclebox in her front room instead of the virgin box but she said no so it had to go
so I sold the Miraclebox and the Solo2 and bought a Duo2, I fancied the Quad Plus but did not like the idea of it not having a internal fan but I am more than happy with the Duo2 and LX3 its just a shame that the Miraclebox Premium twin used the same remote as the LX3 as I would have kept it
and now the wife is saying that she would like a TV in the kitchen :rolleyes: and the Miraclebox would have been perfect :mad:

abu baniaz
15-07-14, 15:02
LX3 uses different CPU to Solo2. Same as Duo2.

nsw9154
15-07-14, 15:41
you are correct again abu :D the Solo2 uses the BMC7356 2x1300 processor and the Duo2 and LX3 use the BMC7424 2x1300 processor for some reason I thought they all used the BMC7424 :thumbsup:

Joe_90
15-07-14, 15:55
I've not had any issues with the Quad Plus, temp wise. Highest I've seen it go is 46C. Completely silent operation unless you are recording and even then it's inaudible unless you're right beside it.

mrxbox360
15-07-14, 17:43
solo 2 for me as I'm running 2x of these boxes :cool: nice quick stable box,if ever i change it would only for a duo2 due to the multi tuner options

Sicilian
15-07-14, 18:03
Hi looking at these 2 about £50 difference but two sides for the reasons VU fast processor 1.3 dual core can transcode 256m flash 1g ram but fixed tuners.
Miraclebox removable tuners but cannot find much about what sort of dual core processor, has more flash but less ram but dont think it can transcode, swaying towards the solo for the extra £50.Was looking at cable so the idea was 1 sat + 1 cable tuner, to get the duo to do this i would have to but the usd cable tuner as well.
Anybody experienced both. Have a DM500HD but lacks any usb and only 64m flash! so takes ages to boot but still a good box.:confused:
Thanks

You're comparing two totally different receivers here.

Solo2 fixed tuners.

MB Premium Twin HD has TWO plug and play tuners, uses BCM7413 CPU, dual core 405MHz, same as VU+ Ultimo. If you want versatility of different plug and play tuners, then go for MB Premium.

During normal usage you wont really see any difference. Only difference would be Solo2 boots 20-30 seconds faster and supports Transcoding.

DM500HD, overpriced junk imo.

Andy_Hazza
15-07-14, 19:53
Solo2 peeeeeeee's all over the miracle box. I have 2 solo2's and they are awesome sat boxes.

nezzeo
15-07-14, 19:54
Hmmm... HD PIP from LX3 would be nice, up goes the price tho to £357, or £377 for the GiGaBlue Quad. Shame you can't upgrade internals independently.

Where did I put that Raspberry Pi..... :p

nsw9154
15-07-14, 19:55
I think that VU missed a perfect opportunity when they announced the SE with just the 1 tuner, they would have been better giving the Solo2 inter-changeable tuners then they would have been on to a winner

nezzeo
15-07-14, 19:56
Solo2 peeeeeeee's all over the miracle box. I have 2 solo2's and they are awesome sat boxes.

Do you use usb tuners for cable/terrestial on them?

stevie65
15-07-14, 20:05
Hmmm... HD PIP from LX3 would be nice, up goes the price tho to £357, or £377 for the GiGaBlue Quad. Shame you can't upgrade internals independently.

Where did I put that Raspberry Pi..... :p
LX3 does HD PIP. Sorry, I am a little confused.
Steve

nezzeo
15-07-14, 20:17
Sorry I meant lx3 does HD PIP, what a nice feature. I'd like that

stevie65
15-07-14, 20:52
Sorry I meant lx3 does HD PIP, what a nice feature. I'd like that

:) I was gunna say, I have an LX3 and can assure you it does do HD PIP.
I have one spare slot with one T2 tuner fitted to the other slot. I must say, I came from a Technomate TM-2T and am very impressed with it. Very fast and transcoding is excellent. I have even managed to route my S** box through the HDMI in without any HDCP issues.
Hopefully will be able to transcode and record from HDMI in one day ;-).
Steve.

nezzeo
17-07-14, 22:33
My solo2 is on ebay, finishes Friday - pm me for item number or I'll put it on here if mods allow - just 2 months old from world of sat so it's a genuine one :)

sulo
02-01-16, 19:12
hi m8s
You are not correct when you compair solo2 against Miracel premimium hd .You should do this against to Miracle Premium Ultra!Slightly more expensive than solo2 but better box.Twin sat tuner and a third one optional and all of them are p&P.It has HDMI in and out ports.built in wireless card.etc etc.Broadcom chip 1.3 Ghz dual core and great support from Vix and other teams.Instead of paying so much money on Duo2 i prefer Miracle Ultra.You can google and compare .

regards