PDA

View Full Version : Multi Room Sat Feed

pigsfoot
14-07-14, 18:29
Hi,
Just after some advice on the best way to get sat feeds into multiple rooms in my house.

Fortunately every room has 2 coax feeds that all terminate in our loft. At the moment I have a quad LMB which has 3 feeds in use. Two go to my living room where I used to have Sly Plus but now plugged into my Solo 2 twin tuner. The other feed goes into a games room where I used to have a Sly Multiroom package. The living room also has a third feed that goes back to the loft.

As the Solo 2 doesn't have Coax output I can not feed back into my loft via the third coax cable so none of the bedroom now have a TV feed connected to satellite.

Is it possible to take the existing third LMB feed ( the games room feed is no longer needed ) and terminate it in my loft so it can be plugged into a booster and then feed it into the bedrooms. I have two spare SkyBox's that I would like to use in the bedrooms.

I have read this isn't a good idea as each box really needs a direct feed straight from the dish but that's going to prove difficult and need a new, bigger LMB.

Is this isn't possible is there an alternative box to the Solo 2 that's I can run VIX on that has a min of two tuners, will take an internal HDD and also has an output to feed back into my loft. If at all possible will also work with a magic Eye so I can turn the channel over from different rooms.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks...

tomthebomb1968
14-07-14, 19:35
You can use your solo2 to feed other enigma 2 boxes via the tunerserver plugin as long as 1 of the tuners is free. Do you intend putting another box in the games room? If so a a twin tuner in there with the plugin running and the existing solo2 would probably be enough to feed boxes in bedrooms as long as they are all not being used at once. But yeah a direct feed to each would be best or a quatro lnb (not quad) to a distribution multi switch in the loft and then dropped to each receiver.

pigsfoot
14-07-14, 19:55
Hi, thanks for the reply.
At the moment I only have one enigma box being my solo2 which is relatively new.... And a great piece of kit.

I have two spare skyboxes , one of which my solo2 replaced and the other I got from a friend.

I would prefer not to buy more enigma receivers as that would work out expensive plus I would only want one to be mirrored to the solo2, the other I would like independent.

It sounds like the way forward is a distribution unit, will this feed off a single input from the dish or do I need more than the three I have, bearing in mind I need two of the feeds for the solo2 so I can record and watch different channels. If I have a single feed in how many feeds out would this support or is it based on 1 in 1 out?

I had a quick look on the net and found this... Is this the right type of kit - http://www.screwfix.com/p/triax-multi-switch-8-way/36325

Thanks for the help.

abu baniaz
14-07-14, 20:00
Bear in mind with a multi switch you need a quattro lnb, not quad lnb.

This will allow all connected devices to be independent.

pigsfoot
14-07-14, 21:01
Just so I have it clear... I need to replace the current lnb for a Quattro one which isn't to much of a problem ... Seem pretty cheap. But will I also need to replace the two direct feeds from the dish to the soho 2 and have new ones coming from the new distribution box.

Also how many independent feeds will a Quattro lnb provide... The box mentioned above seems to be 5 in and 8 out... Is that possible with this lmb ?

Thanks...

tomthebomb1968
14-07-14, 22:21
The Quatro lnb does not directly supply to your receivers. It has 4 outputs horizantal high and low frequency and vertical high and low. These goto the mutiswitch. It combines these signals and you use the ouputs of it to run to your boxes. The one you have posted at screwfix has 5 in and 8 out so would feed 4 twin tuner boxes or 8 single tuners or any combo upto 8. They can be bought for a good bit cheaper than the one you posted.

pigsfoot
14-07-14, 22:30
Thanks for your help everyone... Will speak to the sponsors at the shop and see what new toys I can buy.
Thanks

judge
14-07-14, 22:36
If you're not going to be using all feeds at once, a cheap E2 box with the TunerServer plugin & some homeplugs might be a better option.