PDA

View Full Version : my first satellite box so i can record one channel and watch another help please

arnie2014
08-07-14, 20:26
Hi all

I want to buy a new satellite box and want to ask people their advice on what is the best one to purchase

I want it to be fairly simple to use
be able to install a sky-like image
isn't too slow
and be able to record one channel whilst watching another
full HD and 3d

Larry-G
08-07-14, 20:30
Any of the dual (or more) tuner Enigma2 based receivers will do every thing you want and more. Although it is worth pointing out that they are not plug and play and will require you to do some reading / learning to be able to operate and maintain one of them.

arnie2014
08-07-14, 20:37
ok thank you for your help,

I just didn't want to buy a slow one

Larry-G
08-07-14, 20:40
ok thank you for your help,

I just didn't want to buy a slow one

Depends on your budget etc.

arnie2014
08-07-14, 20:54
but is £260

Larry-G
08-07-14, 21:13
For that much you'r just a touch under the asking price of what is arguably one of the best dual tuner boxes around, the Vu+ solo2 (dont forget to ask the sponsor for your £5 voucher code, if you are buying from him).

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/VU/VU-Solo-2-Solo2-Twin-Tuner-DVB-S2-HD-Enigma2-Linux-Satellite-Receiver

You may also look at some thing like the Gigablue Quad plus, TM-Nano2-Super (both of which are based on the Vu+ solo2).

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/GiGaBlue/GiGaBlue-HD-QUAD-PLUS-Linux-Enigma-2-HD-PVR-Digital-Satellite-Receiver-2-DVB-S-S2-2-C-T-T2-cable-satellite-terrestrial

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Technomate/Technomate-TM-Nano-2-Super-Enigma-2-Linux-HD-PVR-Twin-Tuner-Satellite-Receiver?page=4

I have all three of these receivers and they all work great barring the odd driver issue on the TM but hardware wise it's great.

Dont take my recommendations to heart though, ask about and see what others recommend.

shuggy
08-07-14, 21:35
u cant go wrong with a vuduo ive had mine for over 4 years never let me down, its an older box but will fit ur needs

nezzeo
08-07-14, 23:14
I'm just about to (regrettably) sell my 2month old solo2 if you're interested...

judge
08-07-14, 23:25
Out of the boxes listed so far, I'd go for the Solo2 if you only require 2 Sat feeds, then maybe the TM-Nano-Super.
If you want the option to change to sat/cable/terrestrial feeds in the future, the GB is a good option.
Remote on GB & TM not as nice as the VU remotes though IMO.
I'd also look at the LX3 though if you plan on adding other than sat feeds.

arnie2014
09-07-14, 00:07
thank you yes its just satellite feeds I want, I really do like the vu+ solo it looks really nice and the interface looks nice and easy to use/ or get to know it lol

im trying to find it with a HDD installed already but looks like its only optional on here, it is expensive tough

judge
09-07-14, 00:19
thank you yes its just satellite feeds I want, I really do like the vu+ solo it looks really nice and the interface looks nice and easy to use/ or get to know it lol

im trying to find it with a HDD installed already but looks like its only optional on here, it is expensive tough

The interface will look the same on all images/supported boxes depending on image used.
All boxes that support internal HDD will have the option to have one pre-installed on the sponsors site.
Personally, having used most boxes mentioned above, VU Solo 2 would be my favourite for your set-up.
If you're comfortable with a screwdriver a HDD can be fitted & formatted in no time.

arnie2014
09-07-14, 00:23
ye I build my own computers etc so fitting a HDD is a no problem

well guess il save up for a vu+ solo2 then,

anybody recommend or have a image preference for this box,

when I get it could someone help me to install a new image if I wish to do so as I wouldn't know how to do that

tomthebomb1968
09-07-14, 00:54
All the above listed boxes will have the same gui, look and feel as they will all run VIX. There are different skins that can be applied to them, I have tried most but always revert back to default as it does all without fuss and I just seem to like it. You can skin it to look like an official sky/virgin media box.

As already mentioned the Solo2 is a cracking box. I have had the original Duo, an Ultimo and currently a Solo 2 and Duo2. The Solo2 is the box I would choose every time if I just needed 2 tuners max.

Be aware, you said the box must be HD, you will not get Sky HD channels on any receiver except the brodcasters official box at present. And if the card is paired to a newer official box you wont get the sports or movies in SD either I think.

tomthebomb1968
09-07-14, 01:00
Have a look at the quick support menu dropdown at the top of the page

nezzeo
09-07-14, 06:44
Mine has a 1TB installed, I'll probably bundle it as an optional with the receiver

Sicilian
09-07-14, 06:47
Imo the Xpeed LX3 is worth the extra £30-40 over the Solo2, much more versatility for little more money.

Cohibastevie
09-07-14, 23:30
Is the TM nano super still a ball ache in relation to drivers?

I'm looking for a second box to upgrade my slow octagon...

judge
10-07-14, 00:05
Is the TM nano super still a ball ache in relation to drivers?
Not a ballache at all, most if not all driver improvements have gone into it since inital ViX TM testing on older TM supported boxes.
Can't say it's driver free of issues, but no box is...
It's a good box IMO at the current price.

nsw9154
10-07-14, 00:51
Imo the Xpeed LX3 is worth the extra £30-40 over the Solo2, much more versatility for little more money.

I sold my Solo2 and bought a LX3 (well actually I got the LX3 before I sold the Solo2) but I have never regretted it and with the 4 separate pluggable tuners you can have whatever configuration you like :thumbsup:

imish
26-12-14, 21:37

could be a silly question but just to confirm - can these boxes also run the VIX image?

Larry-G
26-12-14, 21:41
could be a silly question but just to confirm - can these boxes also run the VIX image?

Yes ViX have image support for the Lx3.

http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php?dir=GI-Xpeed-LX/

nsw9154
26-12-14, 23:13
My LX3 is working perfect with the new Apollo 109 :D

imish
26-12-14, 23:19
My LX3 is working perfect with the new Apollo 109 :D

Thats great to know.

Would you recommend this receiver (currently using a Solo2)?

How is the remote and its IR performance?

nsw9154
31-01-15, 05:47
I never replied to your last question sorry, I have had no problems with the remote control but I am only about 10 feet away from the receiver