PDA

View Full Version : Odd MKV problem

Ojustaboo
08-07-14, 14:03
Posting here rather than ViX support as I think its a problem with the files and not the software.

Been on Apollo 8, everything working superbly, I have a load of MKV files, most play perfectly but two I watched yesterday, the first one the sound stopped for about 10 secs once while watching (20 min MKV), the second it did it twice.

It's repeatable, I go to the same parts in either MKV and total silence. This is with the files copied to my Quads hard drive.

I updated to Apollo 15 today, exactly the same problem in exactly the same place.

I try mounting my PC directory on my Quad and play the same files from there, again the exact same sound pause in the exact same places.

OK dodgy files. Yet I watch the same files in the same directory on my actual PC using VLC media player (rather than on my TV using Quad) and they play perfectly with zero sound pause.

Weird, any ideas?

No big deal, just puzzling

Ojustaboo
09-07-14, 14:11
I tried converting them to other formats, the conversion programs slowed down to a crawl at the time the sound stops, and then playing the converted file back, while the sound plays, it goes completely out of sync from that point too.

So I've simply got hold of other files.

Still weird why VLC plays it as though nothing is wrong.

Ojustaboo
06-11-14, 21:42
I'm getting this more and more lately for some odd reason

Apollo 71

I download various MKV files and copy them to my quad.

Some play 100% fine.

Others might play fine for say 15 mins, then have a 20 odd second bit with zero sound. And it's something to do with the file as it's 100% repeatable.

But those with problem sound play 100% fine on my PC whether using VLC or Media Player Classic, or Windows media player.

I've even tried using a couple of different programs to change the MKV to other formats. These work (unlike in my original post) in that they produce converted files fine. These files also play 100% fine on the PC but again have the sound gaps when transferred to the Quad.

I can see on the amp my quad is connected to what sound is coming in , I get 2 squares for stereo, 5 for surround sound. The file I just listened to had 2 showing until the sound cut out then had nothing showing.

If they didn't play on my PC either I could understand it, but when they play fine on my {PC, convert fine and the converted files play fine on my PC but they have sound breakups on my quad (as though the file is recorded like that), well I'm confused.

Larry-G
06-11-14, 21:49
your pc uses software based codeks for most of its media playback functionality which can be updated to further support new and existing file formats, your STB does not have this ability, its media playback is hardware based, so the files you play on it must be encoded to a exact standard or they simply wont work. also remember that .AVI and .MKV's are not formats in their own rite but containers.

Ojustaboo
07-11-14, 21:05
Thanks

Does anyone know of a program that will check an MKV file and say if it doesn't conform to the exact standard (or should I just get MP4 files instead)