PDA

View Full Version : [ViX_Misc] Apollo 14 crashes on CrossEPG update

packetstormer
06-07-14, 17:52
I just preformed a new flash of Apollo 014 having been stuck on an image that was at least 3 years old. Everything seems fine until I try an EPG download. CrossEPG starts fine, downloads and starts the parsing process, as usual. However, after about 15-20 minutes the the Vu Uno load (running top on CLI) rockets to over 12.0. Then, telnet and SSH daemons stop and eventually the enigma2 restarts. I have the epg.dat file set to save to the internal HDD which is 1TB and has plenty of space. Has anyone seen this before?

DaMacFunkin
06-07-14, 18:09
You will need to post the log.

bbbuk
06-07-14, 18:09
I have latest Apollo 014 and CrossEPG updates fine using OpenTV provider and have not had any crash or anything.

I could be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that there was a bug with CrossEPG and likes of the internet download providers like Rytec when using Apollo!!! Maybe someone could confirm if I'm not just making this up :)

judge
06-07-14, 18:18
I just preformed a new flash of Apollo 014 having been stuck on an image that was at least 3 years old. Everything seems fine until I try an EPG download. CrossEPG starts fine, downloads and starts the parsing process, as usual. However, after about 15-20 minutes the the Vu Uno load (running top on CLI) rockets to over 12.0. Then, telnet and SSH daemons stop and eventually the enigma2 restarts. I have the epg.dat file set to save to the internal HDD which is 1TB and has plenty of space. Has anyone seen this before?
What EPG sources are you using?

I could be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that there was a bug with CrossEPG and likes of the internet download providers like Rytec when using Apollo!!! Maybe someone could confirm if I'm not just making this up :)
Im afraid your just making this up...

Andy_Hazza
06-07-14, 18:48
I have a Uno and all is ok. I do have a 256mb swapfile setup tho. This will help no end for you and am sure will correct your issue. Blue button, ViX and swap manager. Set swapfile to your HDD. :thumbsup:

packetstormer
06-07-14, 19:02
I have a Uno and all is ok. I do have a 256mb swapfile setup tho. This will help no end for you and am sure will correct your issue. Blue button, ViX and swap manager. Set swapfile to your HDD. :thumbsup:

I had manually created a swap partition already (didn't realise there was a swap manager!). so this wasn't the issue. It did apper to be a sources issue and once I removed any Rytec source and changed to OpenTV the update worked.

On a non related issue but I swear the HD quality on this image isn't as good as the last image I was using - much paler and grainier!

twol
06-07-14, 20:31
I had manually created a swap partition already (didn't realise there was a swap manager!). so this wasn't the issue. It did apper to be a sources issue and once I removed any Rytec source and changed to OpenTV the update worked.

On a non related issue but I swear the HD quality on this image isn't as good as the last image I was using - much paler and grainier!
Like everything this depends on your personal tastes and the TV you are using.... Unless you are using either a THX setup or your TV has been calibrated professionally you are wasting your breath. :)

Larry-G
06-07-14, 20:37

Picture quality is handled by the drivers, the image has no say or effect on the picture quality.

bbbuk
06-07-14, 21:28
Pheonix, can you please confirm whether or not the CrossEPG had/has an update issue when using internet EPG providers like Rytec?

I'm sure I read it somewhere but I am beginning to think maybe I didn't because I can't find it now :confused: :)!

judge
06-07-14, 23:09
Pheonix, can you please confirm whether or not the CrossEPG had/has an update issue when using internet EPG providers like Rytec?

I'm sure I read it somewhere but I am beginning to think maybe I didn't because I can't find it now :confused: :)!

Not Pheonix, but it's not a known issue.
It's easy to overload most boxes by using multiple EPG providers, not configured correctly & so on...
Best to use only the sources you actually need & that provide the data you want.

DaMacFunkin
07-07-14, 05:59
On a non related issue but I swear the HD quality on this image isn't as good as the last image I was using - much paler and grainier!I went through all this and no one seemed to be interested, a while back Vu+ released a driver which enabled picture processing by default , and yes it can look terrible on my rather expensive isf calibrated set. TBF unless the VIX team are prepared to release New images with old drivers there isn't anything that can be done about it, i badgered Vu+ about it but as always you can't get a response from them. :mad:

packetstormer
07-07-14, 12:49
I went through all this and no one seemed to be interested, a while back Vu+ released a driver which enabled picture processing by default , and yes it can look terrible on my rather expensive isf calibrated set. TBF unless the VIX team are prepared to release New images with old drivers there isn't anything that can be done about it, i badgered Vu+ about it but as always you can't get a response from them. :mad:

There certainly is a big difference with this image. I was on a fairly old image, maybe 3-4 years old (I guess) and only upgraded yesterday and the HD quality was much better. The TV hasn't changed, the calibration hasn't changed the only thing that changed is the image. Even the wife can notice the difference and that is saying something. I have a Sky HD box on another HDMI port and flicking between the two you can notice a big difference in quality. The Sky box is much sharper (as much as it pains me to say that).

Larry-G
07-07-14, 16:44
There certainly is a big difference with this image. I was on a fairly old image, maybe 3-4 years old (I guess) and only upgraded yesterday and the HD quality was much better. The TV hasn't changed, the calibration hasn't changed the only thing that changed is the image. Even the wife can notice the difference and that is saying something. I have a Sky HD box on another HDMI port and flicking between the two you can notice a big difference in quality. The Sky box is much sharper (as much as it pains me to say that).
As has been said multiple times, the drivers are the only things that can impact the picture quality in this way not the image it self.

packetstormer
07-07-14, 19:18
As has been said multiple times, the drivers are the only things that can impact the picture quality in this way not the image it self.

Indeed. And I'm pretty sure the driver has changed since my previous image version of 3 years ago to the one I just installed.

Larry-G
07-07-14, 19:20
Indeed. And I'm pretty sure the driver has changed since my previous image version of 3 years ago to the one I just installed.

as can be seen here.

http://archive.vuplus.com/download/drivers/

bbbuk
08-07-14, 16:38
...it's not a known issue.
It's easy to overload most boxes by using multiple EPG providers, not configured correctly & so on...
Best to use only the sources you actually need & that provide the data you want.I finally found where I had read it. See this (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?38392-OpenViX-Apollo-Release-Thread) thread near bottom of page under 'Known bugs'.

I knew I had read it somewhere that it was a known bug in that CrossEPG doesn't like certain internet based providers. For a moment I thought I had made it up :confused:

ronand
08-07-14, 16:48
Just use crossepg for the opentv providers and xmltvimporter for the others and you should not have any problems

rossi2000
08-07-14, 16:49
ye thats not what that says hehe

Known issues
Crossepg bug when running XEPGDB and XMLTV within CrossEPG. The software will not successfully download data from these sources due to incompatibility of CrossEPG and newer libraries within OE2.

Larry-G
08-07-14, 17:00
I finally found where I had read it. See this (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?38392-OpenViX-Apollo-Release-Thread) thread near bottom of page under 'Known bugs'.

I knew I had read it somewhere that it was a known bug in that CrossEPG doesn't like certain internet based providers. For a moment I thought I had made it up :confused:

As far as I recall, that was fixed in Zeus so it should not be in the release notes of any subsequent release, but may have been left in in error ?.