PDA

View Full Version : Strongest Signal on 28E

nsw9154
20-06-14, 19:25
Well I decided that I needed another 2 feeds from the OLD sky sat Dish to feed my Solo2 & new LX3 as it has a Quad LNB but it only had 2 feeds coming from it
and it was also a good excuse to finally set the dish up correctly as the SNR & AGC % levels where all over the place so up the ladders I went :D
Using the Excellent Android phone application "Enigma Signal Meter" on my mobile phone I was able to set up with the Strongest Transponder
and that was Channel 5 on 10964 H 22000-5/6 with a 100% SNR & 82%AGC :thumbsup:
I also get these signal strengths on CH 4HD, 4seven, 5+1, 5 USA, 5 USA+1, 5*, 5+24 and ITV HD BUT That is on my Solo2
on my LX3 The Signals are totally different CH 5 is 90-91%SNR 94-99% AGC, CH 4 HD is 87-88% SNR 99%AGC and ITV HD is 94-95%SNR 99%AGC :confused:
what is going on I have swapped cables so it's not that as the results are Exactly the same
I did a scan after I had set it up and got 973 channels on my Solo2 but only 942 channels on the LX3 is it because the Solo2 has better Tuners
it will probably not matter in the real world as them missing channels hopefully wont be needed
and the difference in the Signal Strength will probably not be noticed either, I did not notice any as the picture looked good on even a weak channel
it just seems strange that 2 Receivers with virtualy identical specs can give such different results :violin:

mind you I have decided that I need a proper sat dish them sky ones are kack lol

rossi2000
20-06-14, 19:56
its probably the difference in tuners or the drivers not giving the correct info.

Joe_90
20-06-14, 20:00
You probably should try to optimise on a weak transponder, rather than a strong one as you may lose the weaker one(s) during heavy rain if your overall signal is marginal. There is no improvement in picture quality as the signal level gets higher. The signal to noise ratio (SNR) will improve as you point the dish more accurately, but as you go off the beam the picture quality won't change until the signal quality (SNR) degrades to the point where you will see blocky interference on the picture, followed very quickly by no picture at all. It's a sort of digital cliff, where the picture is perfect or it's not there at all.

twol
20-06-14, 20:22
I did a scan after I had set it up and got 973 channels on my Solo2 but only 942 channels on the LX3 is it because the Solo2 has better Tuners
it will probably not matter in the real world as them missing channels hopefully wont be needed
and the difference in the Signal Strength will probably not be noticed either, I did not notice any as the picture looked good on even a weak channel
it just seems strange that 2 Receivers with virtualy identical specs can give such different results :violin:

mind you I have decided that I need a proper sat dish them sky ones are kack lol
Living where you do, you should be able to pick up all Sky channels with a coat hanger (slight exageration :) )
However, not all tuners are the same e.g my latest all singing all dancing box, is unfortunately using the usual Samsung crap technology for the plug in tuners and has problems also.

nsw9154
20-06-14, 21:01
I never thought to try setting it up using a weak channel,mind you I suppose that I can always fine tune it now that it is nearly their
as the most channels that I received before was 960 and it will give me something to do instead of watching England get Beat again :D :nono:

DaMacFunkin
21-06-14, 06:54
The CBS channels are a good starting point, one of them I think it might be CBS action is about the weakest I've come across on 28.2.

DaMacFunkin
21-06-14, 06:57
Ps I've got a solo2 and a duo2 on the same lnb and they give different snr results, for e.g. BBC One HD on the solo 2 is 100% and on the duo2 only 93% and on my USB dvbsky 960 only 76%.

Joe_90
21-06-14, 11:16
Ps I've got a solo2 and a duo2 on the same lnb and they give different snr results, for e.g. BBC One HD on the solo 2 is 100% and on the duo2 only 93% and on my USB dvbsky 960 only 76%.
The tuners and drivers in these boxes are not scientifically calibrated, so one will give a different signal level and quality than another. They are just indicators of relative signal quality.

nsw9154
21-06-14, 15:23
I suppose the mistake that I made when setting the dish up, was thinking that because I had set it up for the Strongest signal on the Strongest Transponder, that my job was done and the Dish was set up correctly, I never thought about what fat-tony said and that I was better off setting it up to pick up the Weakest signals as the stronger signals will virtually look after them selves, I have not bothered re-adjusting it yet as I am going to get a proper 90cm Dish from the sponsors
they have some great deals on the Technomate 97cm Dishes so the only thing to decide is weather to get a solid or a mesh one
I already have a motorised set up ready to fit but never got round to it as I did not have the ladders to do it properly
I already have a 85cm Gibertini Dish - Dark Motor Supreme motor - a choice of single/double or Quad Inverto Black Ultra LNB's
18" T&K brackets and 3 foot long 2" diamiter scaffolding pole ready to fit
so I will probably use the wall mount that I get with the Technomate Dish and set the Gibertini as a static and the larger dish as a motorised set up
so should I go for a Solid or a Mesh Dish what are the Experts views :D

DaMacFunkin
21-06-14, 16:45
I have a 60cm fixed and a 90cm motorised dish, both which I set up myself and they both give identical snr readings for the same channels in my duo2, so size isn't as important for 28.2 as getting the alignment and skew correct.

DaMacFunkin
21-06-14, 16:47
Ps 60 cm is mesh, 90 is solid, mesh is better on some transponders during bad weather I find, but I wouldn't go mesh on a motorised you will find it harder to get a signal on weaker sats.

nsw9154
21-06-14, 18:45
After I had posted I was thinking that the solid Dish was the way to go for a Motorised System :thumbsup:

nsw9154
21-06-14, 22:42
Just one thing bothering me what's the difference between Triax RG6 cable and Technomate RG6 cable is it just the insulator as 1 is foam not plastic :confused:
as I presume either will be good quality and the same price about £15 for 100m from the sponsors