PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo] CronTimer or PowerTimer

avi68
15-06-14, 11:04
Hello everyone!

I had created a post regarding my memory issues with my duo, this was a long time ago. However I still have the problem with my duo.

I wanted to create a reboot timer so i created a power timer, however when I have a recording in progress it still reboots the box and the recording gets interrupted. I have it set to 2:30am.

Now my question is should I create a cron timer or is there an option I'm missing in the power timer menu that will stop my box rebooting when there is a recording in progress.

And if you do recommend a cron timer, how do I go about doing this?

Thanks in advance!

Avi.

mickyblueys
15-06-14, 16:13
Why don't you just change your reboot time, to say 4:00 am, or another time that you don't record stuff?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Andy_Hazza
15-06-14, 16:27
Have you setup a swapfile?

avi68
15-06-14, 18:19
Why don't you just change your reboot time, to say 4:00 am, or another time that you don't record stuff?

True say. But my abm runs at 3am and my epg runs at 4am. Is it ok to set the reboot after abm and epg or is it better to do it before?

avi68
15-06-14, 18:22
Have you setup a swapfile?

Yep I have a swap of 256mb and cacheflush plugin. I've had this problem since I brought the box in December. After 4 days the box becomes really slow and the vix sign keeps spinning. I've tried most things people have said on is forum but it becomes very unresponsive and it needs to be rebooted in order to get it back.

mickyblueys
15-06-14, 18:45
Why don't you run reboot at 4:00, abm at 4:10 then epg at 4:15. That is similar to what I have, except mine is a restart gui, not a reboot. :-)

avi68
16-06-14, 09:09
Why don't you run reboot at 4:00, abm at 4:10 then epg at 4:15. That is similar to what I have, except mine is a restart gui, not a reboot. :-)

Yeah not a bad idea, thanks for that dude [emoji1]

what is a gui restart? Does that just restart the ui and not the whole box?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

mickyblueys
16-06-14, 09:23
Yes it does, but it seems to solve all my issues with the box becoming unresponsive, and it never fails to boot back up. When I had full restart it would sometimes fail to reboot correctly the infamous "starting"problem., restart gui has solved that for me personally.

avi68
16-06-14, 12:15
Yes it does, but it seems to solve all my issues with the box becoming unresponsive, and it never fails to boot back up. When I had full restart it would sometimes fail to reboot correctly the infamous "starting"problem., restart gui has solved that for me personally.

ahhhh! Good idea! :thumbsup:

When I manually restart the box i always run into this problem. Thanks again mate! Ill do what youve said :)

avi68
16-06-14, 13:42

sorry to be a pain but can you tell me what settings you have entered into the power timer menu? I've put it to restart gui and then to go into standby but it does not seem to go into standby.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

mickyblueys
16-06-14, 13:52
I have mine, in standby anyways when I go to bed in an evening. So my daily power timers are.
1. Wake up ???am then do nothing
2. Restart gui, 2 minutes later than (1 above) then do nothing
3. I run autobouquets scan 5 minutes later.
4. I then run epg update 5 after that.
5. Then my standby power timer a few minutes after that, at end do nothing.

Hope you understand, here is a screenshot to help, obviously put in the times to suit, bear mind you sometimes need to leave at least 3 minutes (I think) after certain (but not all) power timers, to complete their count down.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/16/3usera5e.jpg

tombox68
04-10-14, 22:49
How do you get to power timer ?

Cheers

avi68
04-10-14, 23:12
How do you get to power timer ?

Cheers

I think it's menu, timer, then power timer.

imish
11-01-15, 03:55
I'd like to add a timer to auto UPDATE the box with the new image file. planning on using the following command

init 4 && opkg update && opkg upgrade && init 6

Do I need to use crontimer for this? IF so, where do I find the XML file to modify?

imish
11-01-15, 04:10
Figured it out. you need to use the ROOT file in the CRON folder under ETC.

judge
11-01-15, 10:57
Figured it out. you need to use the ROOT file in the CRON folder under ETC.
So, you want to set an auto-update, even to unstable or announced broken builds?

Larry-G
11-01-15, 11:11
I'd like to add a timer to auto UPDATE the box with the new image file. planning on using the following command

init 4 && opkg update && opkg upgrade && init 6

Do I need to use crontimer for this? IF so, where do I find the XML file to modify?

That would be a very silly thing to do in my opinion, what if your script kicks in trys to update the receiver mid way through a server update ?. It would not cause and real damage but it would end up in you needing to perform a reflash to repair a failed or part completed update.

imish
11-01-15, 16:33
Yeah - I decided to scrap the idea as not all the non-experimental updates are vetted enough to be stable.

Larry-G
11-01-15, 17:19
Yeah - I decided to scrap the idea as not all the non-experimental updates are vetted enough to be stable.

Hence why they are classed as unstable.

imish
11-01-15, 18:26
Hence why they are classed as unstable.

I was looking to get the box to autoupdate the STABLE images ONLY, however I appreciate even that is risky as not all stable images are actually stable.