PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best way to check Cable signal

Alanp
13-06-14, 10:27
My SNR is 65% and AGC 76% i do get some channels breaking up (what would be a good signal level) and whats the best method to measure cable signal without spending lots Thanks for any help

Apollo 005
Duo2
DVB-C plug and play tuner (from WOS)

The reason i think its signal related is the channels i experience breaking up also come up with 0% SNR and tune failed messages other channels are solid

Maxwell
13-06-14, 10:42
My SNR is 65% and AGC 76% i do get some channels breaking up (what would be a good signal level) and whats the best method to measure cable signal without spending lots Thanks for any help

Apollo 005
Duo2
DVB-C plug and play tuner (from WOS)

The reason i think its signal related is the channels i experience breaking up also come up with 0% SNR and tune failed messages other channels are solid

Mine is exactly the same readings and no problems here at all with any channels, I would check all connectors as loose or not properly made connections will kill it on the error rate, also make sure you use a good quality splitter. My first suspect for a dodgy connection would be the standard aerial plug that goes into the tuner.

Alanp
13-06-14, 10:45
Thanks can you recomend a good quality 3 way splitter ones on ebay seem to cheap to be good

Peterj
13-06-14, 10:49
Most of the problems with cable signal is not wrong signal level (99% of the time your provider delivers good level at your connection point), but your own distribution in house.
It is essential to use good internal cables and connectors. The biggest problem these days are external disturbance (4G, remote light switches etc). The old type cable as delivered with your VCR in the old days is now crap.
Also have a good look at your splitters (if used). Every (good) 2 way splitter has around 4 to 5 dB loss of signal.

Best way do a check first with 1 good cable direct from your provider connection point to the receiver and see how the signal / quality is.

Maxwell
13-06-14, 10:53
The one I use is a Konig (5-2400MHz 3dB insertion loss) but there are plenty of others, think Maplin do one for about £6