PDA

View Full Version : [ViX_Misc] Improved recording cutting over cutlist

sstroop
06-06-14, 12:58
I tried to search VIX feature requests forum but I did not find any. So I decided to use this support-forum as I think this request is more general than just single receiver model support question.

I am coming from VDR-world to OpenVIX with Duo2 receiver. One thing what I immediately noticed is cutting features of OpenVix. What a ....

VDR procedure:
- hit 0 to set mark
- hit 2 to execute cutting

maybe bit more explanation is required:
While watching (replay-mode) you just hit remote 0 to insert cut mark similar to OpenVIX. It leaves the mark and modifies seek bar accordingly.
* seek bar is without "overstrike" for non marked stuff
* seek bar has red overstrike if stuff is marked
* It is a simple state machine. First mark from beginning of recording marks IN (to be spared), second mark marks OUT, 3rd again IN, 4th OUT etc.
* seekbar / timeline is showing visible with red what are you sparing of the recording
Then I hit 2 from remote and cutting starts. VDR can be setup to store on smaller TS files (like 256MB) for fast cuts as if cuts are file copies ("symlinks").

Look at the last picture of this page:
http://www.tvdr.de/software.htm

SUPER EASY and even my WIFE can use it.

OpenVix procedure:
* mark with 0 the points while watching because it is most convenient.
* go to menu/cut list editor to mark IN/OUT with very bad UI which is not intuitive and I need to restart cut mark setting many times
* with every mark it does not show anything, it shows in/out pairs
* in/out could appear in front of or behind the mark depending in I-frame/GOP position
* I usually do it wrong way, so I was cutting out stuff I wanted to keep (IN/OUT)
* then exit, launch recording menu, menu, arrows execute cut via menu
* I feel if cut list editor has set the marks I cannot go video areas beyond that.

It is so hard to do that I cannot do it and I get very frustrated.

Rob van der Does
08-06-14, 07:01
I absolutely agree with you that the cutlisteditor isn't the best application.
But can you code or assist in coding a better functionality?

sstroop
24-06-14, 20:09
Well I am not an Python developer and anyway familiar with OpenVIX environment. I see that Plugins are compiled pyc files so they cannot be easily investigated. I also think that normal replay-mode seek-bar is in the very core of OpenVix so modifying that behaviour for seekbar mod with state machine is out of question. Also it should be able to compile cutlist to MovieCutter extension but it should be runnable without "Execute cutting" or similar. So these are a bit out of my reach.