PDA

View Full Version : Streaming outside of my home network.

Gussie
30-05-14, 14:23
Hi,

I'd like to use a Technomate TM-Nano OE to stream FTA SD channels to my laptop or Smartphone whilst I'm on holiday.

Is this possible?

Ideally I want to use a reliable fanless receiver which will not overheat during extended unattended operation. Also it has to have Diseqc switching to access my three dishes pointing to 28.2, 19.2 and 13.0E.

The forum sponser is suggesting I will have issues unless I use a receiver with transcoding capabilities - but those receivers are much more expensive and come with multiple tuners requiring active cooling.

Please note that I will soon have fibre broadband with at leat 40Mb down and 11Mb up capability.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Trial
30-05-14, 19:06
Hi,
1. if you do not have a static IP find a free dyndns provider and setup your router or box to update this provider.

2. build a VPN between your router at home and your laptop and you can work with the boxes as if your at home and with 11mbit/sec you should be able to stream.

Other possibility is not so save:
2. give your box a decent password
3. enable authentication for the web interface
4. create port forwarding for ports 80 and 8001 in your router to your box

ciao

kiwiz
31-05-14, 12:02
how to we do all that can anyone make a short video please

Gussie
01-06-14, 12:00
Thanks for the reply.

So the Technomate TM-Nano OE should be OK, yes ?

If a transcoding capable receiver is a better solution - can you suggest one that is reliable and does not need a fan to cool it - I do not fancy leaving a fan cooled device switched on for several weeks whilst I'm away on holiday at the other end of the world.

Trial
01-06-14, 19:40
Hi,
with 11mbit upload each E2 receiver should be OK as long as you also have around 10mbit download which might get critical with 3G. For 3G there might be also a problem with your provider as 10MBit means around 1GByte in around 15minutes. OK only premium channels like ARD/ORF/BBC will come near 10Mbit on SD. The normal channels only have around 3MBit and this means 1GByte in 50min.

I only have limited experience with other transcoding receiver beside VU+. The VU+ Solo2 is quite nice as a starter but transcoding is a bit limited. The VU+ Duo2 is almost unlimited concerning transcoding.

ciao

Rob van der Does
01-06-14, 20:37
I'm not sure about you fan objection: Solo2 & DUO2 can run the FanControl2 plugin that fully automates the speed of the fan.
In standby a fan will seldom be needed at all.

Gussie
25-06-14, 11:46
I'm not sure about you fan objection: Solo2 & DUO2 can run the FanControl2 plugin that fully automates the speed of the fan.
In standby a fan will seldom be needed at all.

Fan fails - unit overheats - fire risk - I'm thousands of miles away.

I now have my Fibre BB running and I'm only getting 7.7Mbps upload.

Is there really no simple fanless transcoding satellite receiver with Diseqc in the marketplace. I don't even need HD - I just want to watch some FTA UK/German channels whilst I'm away in Thailand over a long Christmas/New Year break. I stay with my partners family who have good broadband download speeds of 8Mbps+.

Last year I had bad experience of using the paid for VPN services that promise much but do not deliver - so I'd like a more reliable solution - but do not need an all singing all dancing mutiple tuner PVR twin fan cooled monster.

Rob van der Does
25-06-14, 12:36
And a fan-less box would have a lesser overheat risk then a box with an automated fan control?
Remember FC2 can be configured to shut down the box above a set temperature.

So the fire risk would be
1- fan-failure +
2- plugin-failure +
3- conditions (load) causing overheating
All of the above conditions should be met. More chance to fall from the stairs then .......

Gussie
25-06-14, 17:29
Thanks for the reply - but there's no way I'm leaving any active fan cooled equipment switched on whilst I'm thousands of miles away.

I've searched the net and have not found anything - bar powerful all singing-all dancing satellite receivers.

Looks like I'll have try my chances again with the dodgy VPN services that let you watch BBC Iplayer - intermittently!

judge
25-06-14, 18:39
The GBQuad does transcoding & is fanless. It does get pretty hot though.
The TM-Nano-Super should also be able to transcode soon...

Gussie
26-06-14, 18:01
The GBQuad does transcoding & is fanless. It does get pretty hot though.
The TM-Nano-Super should also be able to transcode soon...

I can only find info on the TM-Nano 2 Super which requires active cooling.

Does a single tuner TM-Nano-Super exist?
If so, does it have transcoding hardware or are we talking software transcoding?

Rob van der Does
26-06-14, 21:00
There is no transcoding support for any TM.

You might have a look at the VU Solo-SE: single tuner, transcoding, not sure about a fan.

But be aware: boxes without a fan may become very hot.

Gussie
27-06-14, 11:13
There is no transcoding support for any TM.

You might have a look at the VU Solo-SE: single tuner, transcoding, not sure about a fan.

But be aware: boxes without a fan may become very hot.

I have three Technisat HDFS receivers - they are reliable, single tuner, fanless and run cool, if only they had a web interface and could stream.

Is it the transcoding capability that requires such a power increase or is it the fact that all these transcoding boxes HAVE dual tuners.

I'll check out the VU Solo-SE.