PDA

View Full Version : Transcoding whats the story?

seame
25-05-14, 23:17
Whats the story with transcoding on the quad?

Will the box ever be able to provide transcoding?

What about the quad plus, does transcoding work on it?

Questions questions questions.......:)

kevdoc
25-05-14, 23:41
Quad NO. Quad+ apparently so soon but I wouldn't hold my breath. I will never buy another gigablue after the lies and deceit surrounding the quad. I bought it a week after realise waiting on driver updates to provide the features they advertised. Still waiting..... now they are saying the same about the quad+ they would be aswell making sure they follow through on their promise this time or a lot of people will be pissed.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

seame
25-05-14, 23:49
I'm tempted to buy the quad plus but this transcoding issue is putting me off. I've heard that transcoding is impossible on the quad and if thats true it means it was never going to be available. If it was never possible on the quad I'll not be buying the quad plus, simples.

Rob van der Does
26-05-14, 06:33
The way I look at it, is that GB released the Quad far too soon; before even they themselves realised that GB-LAN and transcoding required additional hardware. That seems to be the only reason they released the Quad-Plus (= Quad performing as originally specified).
All (STB-)manufacturers are known to release boxes before the drivers are mature; simply a matter of repaying their investment. But this is the very first time I hear about boxes being released (= sold) before the hardware is complete.
Make up your own mind about a manufacturer treating his clients like that :amen:

Nobody28
26-05-14, 10:19
Transcoding work on OpenMIps 4.1 and openATV 4.1.
openVIX and other not testet!!!

seame
26-05-14, 13:45

Quad or quad plus?

Larry-G
27-05-14, 05:19
Quad or quad plus?

If memory serves a patch was recently added to the GIT for both the quad and quad plus to enable transcoding (drivers dependant).

although I have not tested it as transcoding does not interest me and I have not had the time to test any thing lately.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

s1m0nw
27-05-14, 11:01
has this patch been released on helios image? if it has do you know where I can enable transcoding feature to test?

girginoz
27-05-14, 11:28
has this patch been released on helios image? if it has do you know where I can enable transcoding feature to test?

not yet i think. openmips and openatv 4.1 releases have it(25.5.2014)
Probably apollo will have but i dont care if not:p

Larry-G
27-05-14, 13:18

no because Helios is no longer being updated, it will be in Apollo, or you could try one of the other v4.1 images out there briefly such as OpenATV to see if it works on the quad or not.

s1m0nw
27-05-14, 13:31
ill wait for apollo release to test hopefully itll work to a decent standard.

thanks for the replies guys

dwarf
27-05-14, 14:29
Will Apollo support the Quad Plus or does Andy still not have a development machine?

Larry-G
27-05-14, 15:26
Will Apollo support the Quad Plus or does Andy still not have a development machine?

I dont believe andy has a machine but the sponsor has been doing a bit of testing for us on his own machine.

Joe_90
27-05-14, 15:29
I dont believe andy has a machine but the sponsor has been doing a bit of testing for us on his own machine.

Offer still stands for testing on my Quad Plus :D I have used the OpenMIPS and OpenATV images since the start of April. Now testing the OpenRSI image - best so far for me!

Larry-G
27-05-14, 15:32
Offer still stands for testing on my Quad Plus :D I have used the OpenMIPS and OpenATV images since the start of April. Now testing the OpenRSI image - best so far for me!

The offer is appreciated, if and when we do another beta tester recruitment drive, I will keep you in mind.

veskop
29-05-14, 08:37

on mine Quad doesnt work!With both images....

seame
29-05-14, 09:19
I see transcoding is available with the Apollo image. I haven't had a chance to try it out but I'm sure if the vix team included it in the image its working.

seame
29-05-14, 12:11
I've tried transcoding on the quad with Apollo the video is working but theres no audio

judge
29-05-14, 20:27
I've tried transcoding on the quad with Apollo the video is working but theres no audio

Video and audio working fine here using VLC to view transcoded stream from GBQuad.

seame
29-05-14, 21:10
Hmmm I'm using vlc too. I've just tried it again and neither the video or audio is working. If its working for you Judge at least that proves it works

judge
29-05-14, 21:22
Tried on an iPad too, transcoding from GBQuad working fine on that too...

seame
29-05-14, 21:32

Is that also with vlc or what are you using on your iPad?

judge
29-05-14, 21:34
Chrome on the iPad, it just plays the m3u file.

seame
29-05-14, 21:46
I think I might have found the cause of the problem. My quad believes its recording something or maybe it is and I cant find whats being recorded. The LEDs are flashing and the record symbol is showing but there isn't anything listed on the timers list or the recording status on the webif. I've went through all my bouquets and the only ones available are all on the same transponder, if it was recording then channels on two TPs would be available.

Theres also no option to stop the phantom recording.

judge
29-05-14, 21:48
the phantom recording is more than likely the transcoded stream.
I'd just reboot both devices & try again.

seame
29-05-14, 22:04
I had to wait until BGT was over before I was "allowed" to restart the quad :rolleyes:

You were right Judge it was the transcoding stream that was showing as a recording. I've tried it again and the same thing happened, it also happens when I try to open the stream with WMP.

judge
29-05-14, 22:10
No idea so, it's just working here.
How are your tuners configured?

seame
29-05-14, 22:15
I set them both to simple, single, 28.2

I've tried restarting enigma a few times with no luck so i tried a full restart and its been stuck on the rebooting screen for a few minutes now so it looks like a reflash is in order.

judge
29-05-14, 22:16
Have you feeds going to both?

seame
29-05-14, 22:23
yea one from a motor the other direct from the lnb.

I jumped the gun, no need for a reflash just switched off and on at the rocker.

I've enabled debug logs and tried it again, Hopefully there'll be something in there.

seame
29-05-14, 22:42
I can't see anything in the debug log myself. I can see the recording starting but don't really understand whats going on

judge
29-05-14, 22:44
Does transcoding the channel you're currently viewing work for you?

seame
29-05-14, 22:49
No I've already tried transcoding the same channel but I can stream the channel :confused:

seame
29-05-14, 23:00
Ok........now transcoding is working and with volume this time and I didn't change anything :confused:

Joe_90
29-05-14, 23:35

I'm confused as regards the status of testing with the Quad / Quad plus on Apollo. @Sicilian replied to me earlier today on another thread strongly indicating that VIX image for Quad plus would not be released because 1) the LCD was not working and 2) transcoding was not working.
Now I know the LCD works fine on my Quad plus in OpenRSI and slightly less well in OpenATV (some cutoff of image) and also ok in OpenMIPS, so I can't quite figure out why it doesn't work in VIX. Now you're saying that transcoding is working on the Quad in Apollo, @judge :confused: @Sicilian is the Boss, so I believed what he was saying, but maybe there has been some break-through?
I'd really prefer to use a VIX image on my Quad plus as it's geared for the GB / Irish market, but I need to know if it's going to be available or not as otherwise I will spend time customising the OpenRSI image for SWMBO who's waiting impatiently for the combo DVB-T/S solution!

judge
29-05-14, 23:52
Now you're saying that transcoding is working on the Quad in Apollo, @judge :confused: @Sicilian is the Boss, so I believed what he was saying, but maybe there has been some break-through?

Just because I have transcoding working on the GBQuad doesn't mean it's not flakey, as evident by the conversation above.

seame
30-05-14, 00:00
Calm down mate, I'm waiting on the image to be released too. I know it won't be released until its ready, which suits me as I don't want a buggy image, and theres no point asking because you'll never get a guaranteed date. Its ready when its ready.

Joe_90
30-05-14, 00:41
Perfectly calm, pal :) Just hearing conflicting statements. The Boss (@Sicilian) posted a reply to me earlier stating - "At the current time the colour LCD is not working in ViX, therefore ViX image may not be released. Also their claim of transcoding is still not working. " So I took that to mean that there wouldn't be a VIX release for the Quad Plus - simples ;)

Larry-G
30-05-14, 00:45
Perfectly calm, pal :) Just hearing conflicting statements. The Boss (@Sicilian) posted a reply to me earlier stating - "At the current time the colour LCD is not working in ViX, therefore ViX image may not be released. Also their claim of transcoding is still not working. " So I took that to mean that there wouldn't be a VIX release for the Quad Plus - simples ;)

until the problem with the LCD is resolved, there will be no ViX release, transcoding working or not is not a deal breaker.

judge
30-05-14, 00:51
Also their claim of transcoding is still not working.
All I can say is it's working perfectly fine for me, must have tried about 15-20 different transcoding streams this evening.
We went through quite a few test builds before the Apollo release, maybe 'The Boss' last tried transcoding on one of those or maybe he's using different browsers/os/video app tham I'm using...
Either way, I'm sure he'll test it agan now that atleast one of us can report it working.
The more ViX & Quad users that test this (and report their results) the better as not many of the team have Quads to test on.

Rob van der Does
30-05-14, 05:31
the phantom recording is more than likely the transcoded stream.
I'd just reboot both devices & try again.
(Transcoded) streams are handled by the box the same way a recording is.

I jumped the gun, no need for a reflash just switched off and on at the rocker.

Please, never do that again, because that is asking for serious trouble. You should restart via the GUI. Worst case go to telnet and stop E2 ("init 4") and reboot the box ("init 6").

hilly
30-05-14, 07:12
I'm not totally sure what transcoding is but I've put my quadplus ip into chrome on the ipad and the webif has come up ,I've then clicked on HD bouquet and the little TV screen next to itv and the program has played with sound no problem.
As for LCD the only problem is when plying back a recorded/streamed file nothing shows on it.Ive had the mini TV working on it (why)and also showing info/picons.This is on atv image/hdfreaks only.

Joe_90
30-05-14, 11:59
All I can say is it's working perfectly fine for me, must have tried about 15-20 different transcoding streams this evening.
We went through quite a few test builds before the Apollo release, maybe 'The Boss' last tried transcoding on one of those or maybe he's using different browsers/os/video app tham I'm using...
Either way, I'm sure he'll test it agan now that atleast one of us can report it working.
The more ViX & Quad users that test this (and report their results) the better as not many of the team have Quads to test on.

Thanks for that, @judge. The only reason I raised a query was that there were mixed messages, so I wanted clarification. I've had my Quad Plus for almost two months now, so I'm keen to try a "localised" image. I would be really surprised if the LCD is going to be an issue as it works in all other images I've tried (albeit with varying degrees of implementation quality). To be honest, for me the LCD is a bit of a "gimmick", as it's pretty small at normal TV viewing distance :)

seame
30-05-14, 13:29
Please, never do that again, because that is asking for serious trouble. You should restart via the GUI. Worst case go to telnet and stop E2 ("init 4") and reboot the box ("init 6").

I couldn't get access to the box it had froze so I had no other option but thanks for the advise.

GAH2402
30-05-14, 15:53
Hi Guys,

Apologies but asking, but is there a guide anywhere to setting up transcoding?. I'm using Apollo on my Quad, but I can't see any mention of transcoding in the menus.

GAH

rossi2000
30-05-14, 15:55
i think transcoding on the quad is limited to 1 setting atm.

seame
30-05-14, 15:58
Check your plugins you can set it up from there

GAH2402
30-05-14, 18:18
Hi Seame,

Thanks, will have a go!

GAH

kevdoc
30-05-14, 18:42
I have the vu+ android app. Says box not regonized for transcoding. I have gigablue quad. Maybe the app only supports vu+ boxes so I cannot test.

GAH2402
30-05-14, 19:35
Hi Guys,

Have opened port 8002 in my router's firewall (inbound and outbound) and installed VLC 2.1.3 on my PC (Win 7). I then go to Media in VLC, select Network Streaming, enter my Quad IP address and port number (http://192.168.0.14:8002/) and I get nothing! However, if I now try to restart the Quad, it hangs on the Standby/Restart Menu screen and I have to restart the box from the switch at the rear. I haven't changed any of the transcoding settings in VIX Apollo.

Any suggestions?

seame
30-05-14, 19:42
Use a browser to login to your quad and in your bouquets you'll see two small tv like icons on the RHS of each channel, one is for streaming and the other is transcoding. Click on the transcoding one and an m3u file will be downloaded, click on it and vlc will stream the channel.

GAH2402
30-05-14, 20:14
Hi Seame,

Thanks for that. I can confirm that transcoding works for me. However, it produces a very low quality pic with sound a little out of synch! I have to say I'm a bit underwhelmed, and don't really see the benefit of transcoding, am I missing something?

GAH

seame
30-05-14, 20:42
Its for use outside of your home network. It cuts down on the amount of bandwidth so you can watch it on the likes of wifi in town or at work. You can also change the values with the plugin which will give you a better PQ.

If you're on your home network use the streaming option and you'll get A+ quality audio and video.

GAH2402
30-05-14, 20:56
Hi Seame,

Thanks for the reply.

Can I assume I'd need to use something like a dyndns address to view this outside my home network, and obviously because it's lower quality it'll be less likely to freeze and stutter?

GAH

seame
30-05-14, 21:53
Hi Seame,

Thanks for the reply.

Can I assume I'd need to use something like a dyndns address to view this outside my home network, and obviously because it's lower quality it'll be less likely to freeze and stutter?

GAH

Yep. plenty of info on the forum on how to set it up :)

GAH2402
31-05-14, 09:27
Hi Seame,

Thanks for the info.

GAH

stanley1
31-05-14, 10:26
whats the advantage of transcoding over streaming.

TIA

Larry-G
31-05-14, 16:52
whats the advantage of transcoding over streaming.

TIA

Streaming takes up a lot of bandwidth especially for HD content which makes is impracticle for daily use. Transcoding re encodes the stream on the fly to a lower bit rate, thus reducing the bandwidth required, especially good for use with mobile devices over the cell phone network.

Joe_90
03-06-14, 11:41
I have been playing around with transcoding using the OpenATV image on the Quad Plus and it's working pretty well, albeit with some sound synchronisation issues. Plays fine in VLC and on an iPhone.

kevdoc
03-06-14, 12:08
Not currently having any luck with transcoding on my quad with latest apollo image