PDA

View Full Version : What makes a channel disappear and is there a recipe to get it back again?

steveharman
25-05-14, 16:51
// OpenVIX Zeus
// GigaBlue Quad

This has been discussed by a number of people on the forum "Where has 'x' channel gone?" etc. but I'm curious. We often "lose" say Nick.Jr or a.n.other channel. In the case of Nick it sometimes goes from its usual Sky Channel 615 to a four digit channel beginning 13 - so 1394 or something. Then a week or so later it might come back to 614 and all will be well again without any manual intervention on our part (albeit we have EPG updates & autobouquet running daily at 4 in the morning).

Currently Sky One HD (Ch.106) has gone. I'm sure if I search around the EPG for the programme showing on Sky One HD, I'll find its new channel and be able to call it up. Similarly Sky Movies Premiere HD seems to have wandered off and that was fine a couple of days back. It's not an HD thing - for example all the other Sky HD channels like sport, other Sky movie HD channels etc. etc. are fine.

Manually running an automatic scan of channels and re-running auto-bouquet-maker has no obvious effect (doesn't fix the problem). I'd love to know what causes channels to move about and even better if anyone has a suggestion for what I can do to investigate my setup / stop it happening / or fix things I'd be really grateful.

Thanks,

Steve

steveharman
25-05-14, 17:47
Ah, right. Thanks. Will they ever return? Is this a S*y technical issue or something?

Steve

Maxwell
25-05-14, 18:09
They have changed the encryption system so that you can only receive them with an official Sky receiver even if you have the correct subscription card

steveharman
25-05-14, 18:32
Ouch! So the market for 3rd party (better) receivers in order to watch S*you is now dead? :-( Sad news indeed.

Maxwell
25-05-14, 20:34
Ouch! So the market for 3rd party (better) receivers in order to watch S*you is now dead? :-( Sad news indeed.

Not at all, there is much more than Sky available :)

zoro25
26-05-14, 00:36
For an average user in the UK with a static dish that is not the case.

I'm actually looking forward to things getting a little more "hobby" based as CS just got way to commercial.

This is why we can't have nice things :-)

Rob van der Does
26-05-14, 06:38

Not at all, there is much more than Sky available :)

I don't agree. Look at what a 28.2 FTA scan gets you: much more than what I have to pay for in the Netherlands.
By the looks of it many are addicted to Sky; that's the reason they can do this forbidden conditional sale.

Stanman
26-05-14, 07:49
The problem is sly have all the decent imho live sport as well then cherry picking foreign programmes that take off on terrestrial tv.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

DaMacFunkin
26-05-14, 08:03
Turn your dish round to 19 or 13, or if you have a zone 2 dish put a mono bloc on it and get both, there is loads of quality HD sports, English movies etc on those two birds.

DaMacFunkin
26-05-14, 08:04
You Like $ly Atlantic? It was only ever launched to stop HBO launching in the UK, move your dish and find HBO elswhere...

steveharman
26-05-14, 15:23

Precisely - show me where I can subscribe to 90% of Barclays Premier League games, F1 and English films before they hit Netflix with my static Sky dish and I'll sign up. Meantime I'm a Sky subscriber with a GigaBlue Quad who's having his channels pulled from him by... the people I'm paying in order to receive the channels ($ky).

Thanks a bunch Mr.Murdoch & friends. :-(

Rob van der Does
26-05-14, 16:23
Apparently you, the UK-consumers, accept this. Otherwise it wouldn't happen.

steveharman
26-05-14, 16:36
That might have been true if (a) As a customer I'd been asked / contacted / in any way informed by $ky before the channels simply started to vanish or (b) had any means of getting them to retract the steps they've taken (LOL!).

Is it that the new encryption is forever linked to $ky hardware only by some means, or is it that the encryption now in use isn't (yet?) available on non-$ky hardware?

Mr. Mister
26-05-14, 16:49
A small fact for you guys..

British people in general.. England, Scotland Wales and N. Ireland..

Fact of the matter is.. Until we all as British people stand up against this.. Then you will NEVER see change..

Only way to get change is for ALL British people to stand up together.. and fight this..

Just one problem.. British WONT.. NEVER HAVE DONE.. NOR EVER WILL DO stick together..

Always too much farting around and squabbling over whats left..

Rob van der Does
26-05-14, 17:09
That might have been true if (a) As a customer I'd been asked / contacted / in any way informed by $ky before the channels simply started to vanish or (b) had any means of getting them to retract the steps they've taken (LOL!).
What do you think would happen if all (or at least very many) Sky subscriptions would be cancelled for the sole reason of the forbidden conditional sale? Pretty sure Mr. R. would feel that in his pocket.

Larry-G
26-05-14, 17:56
What do you think would happen if all (or at least very many) Sky subscriptions would be cancelled for the sole reason of the forbidden conditional sale? Pretty sure Mr. R. would feel that in his pocket.

Thats precisely what i will be doing as soon as BT get their arses into gear and bring fiber into my village as rite now I have exactly two options. 1) sky uk, 2) free view and 2 is out of the question as i dont have a TV Ariel LOL.

After looking a little further into it, seems BT may be upgrading my exchange in as little as 6 to 8 weeks, if thats the case my £57 a month to Murdoch's monopoly will be promptly cancelled.

Mr. Mister
26-05-14, 18:14
After looking a little further into it, seems BT may be upgrading my exchange in as little as 6 to 8 weeks, if thats the case my £57 a month to Murdoch's monopoly will be promptly cancelled.

Exactly what everyone should be doing..

Larry-G
26-05-14, 18:21

If only mate, the only way greedy people like MR Murdock will ever listen is when it hits their wallets, and as you said earlier, it's not like we the British people will actually fight for our rites any time soon now is it ?.

We should do what the french do every time they have the hump at something, close the ports and chunnel down for a day or two, see how long it takes Mr Cameron and his lackies to do something about this monopoly they allow Murdock to have then !!.

zoro25
26-05-14, 19:01
I personally don't care about Murdoch lining his pockets.

He offers the best Subscription service in the UK. It's not the users or average people who are to blame its the competition or lack of it.
He charges a fair price. I was once self employed and to me a fair price was one that people complained about paying but still paid. in other words it's the maximum you can charge without losing customers, or the number of customers lost is offset by the higher charge.
This is just simple business economics and nothing more. Yes it may not seem fair but then neither is life.

I'm all good to go back my Digitalb subscription I had a few years back, and move away from Sky but there has to be a better offer then there currently is.

And by the way to the person who asked Premiership Football and F1 with English commentary can be found in multiple places throughout Europe at least it was last time I checked

Sirius
26-05-14, 20:49

My exchange has already been upgraded just waiting for bt to get there fingers out there ass and switch my village on, I keep checking the fiber checker daily as soon as it says taking orders bye bye sky and hello BT infinity 2 ;) :)

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

zoro25
26-05-14, 22:13
My exchange has already been upgraded just waiting for bt to get there fingers out there ass and switch my village on, I keep checking the fiber checker daily as soon as it says taking orders bye bye sky and hello BT infinity 2 ;) :)

Don't hold your breath, my exchange was upgraded a year ago and still not installed to box junctions yet.

Not sure about you but my village has phone lines over the telegraph poles, so I'm doubting if it's financially viable in the short term for them to move beyond the exchange.

Sirius
26-05-14, 22:19
Don't hold your breath, my exchange was upgraded a year ago and still not installed to box junctions yet.

Not sure about you but my village has phone lines over the telegraph poles, so I'm doubting if it's financially viable in the short term for them to move beyond the exchange.

We have our street cabinets upgraded too, but yeah I'm not getting my hopes up as it says on BT site available by may-june. Where as it did say available by end of April once, then before that it said available by the end of Feb...
Wish they would get there fingers out there ass and sort out what ever is holding things back.

zoro25
26-05-14, 22:45
If you have the street cabinets then it won't be long, I'm still waiting for those to be installed, like I say it's been a year.

good luck for yours.

seame
26-05-14, 23:14
Call BT. I was waiting on infinity for ages and they kept putting the date back online. I was that pissed off by this I phoned them up to see why it had been put back by 3 months, I had it installed within two weeks :) The lady told me not to rely on the online checker so its worth a try calling them!

Sirius
26-05-14, 23:33
Call BT. I was waiting on infinity for ages and they kept putting the date back online. I was that pissed off by this I phoned them up to see why it had been put back by 3 months, I had it installed within two weeks :) The lady told me not to rely on the online checker so its worth a try calling them!

Hmm might give them a call again it's been 2 month since my last call, they just told me shouldn't b long... And to keep checking online :(

Best of it is my mate just lives round the corner and he has had it since Feb!!! Bt told me he was connected to a different cabinet and that I had to just be patient.

Patient yea right when my broadband is not even capable of streaming short you tube clips without buffering every 5 seconds lol.

Larry-G
27-05-14, 04:15
I personally don't care about Murdoch lining his pockets.

He offers the best Subscription service in the UK. It's not the users or average people who are to blame its the competition or lack of it.
He charges a fair price. I was once self employed and to me a fair price was one that people complained about paying but still paid. in other words it's the maximum you can charge without losing customers, or the number of customers lost is offset by the higher charge.
This is just simple business economics and nothing more. Yes it may not seem fair but then neither is life.

I'm all good to go back my Digitalb subscription I had a few years back, and move away from Sky but there has to be a better offer then there currently is.

And by the way to the person who asked Premiership Football and F1 with English commentary can be found in multiple places throughout Europe at least it was last time I checked

My gripe has bugger all to do with his pricing, I will happily continue pay what I do now, but I wont be forced to use one of his god awful receivers. All I want is to be able to use my legally paid for subscription card in a thirdparty receiver of my choice, if that is no longer going to be possible I will be cancelling my full subscription as soon as it is convenient for me to do so. Bear in mind that i have had sky TV in my house since 1989 so he has lost a life long sky user here.

Rob van der Does
27-05-14, 05:43
Thats precisely what i will be doing as soon as BT get their arses into gear and bring fiber into my village as rite now I have exactly two options. 1) sky uk, 2) free view and 2 is out of the question as i dont have a TV Ariel LOL.

and 3) FreeSat.

BTW: a DVB-T aerial can't be a real issue?

steveharman
27-05-14, 14:59
My gripe has bugger all to do with his pricing, I will happily continue pay what I do now, but I wont be forced to use one of his god awful receivers. All I want is to be able to use my legally paid for subscription card in a thirdparty receiver of my choice, if that is no longer going to be possible I will be cancelling my full subscription as soon as it is convenient for me to do so. Bear in mind that i have had sky TV in my house since 1989 so he has lost a life long sky user here.

Precisely.

Sadly though I believe we (non-$ky-box-users) are actually going against the T&Cs of having a $ky subscription. I read on a.n.other foum that we are obliged to use their hardware, hidden away in the tiny print. Wonder if OScam or CCCAM will ever support the encryption being rolled out on $ky HD channels, or whether the new system is tied into using a "genuine" $sky receiver?

Shoaib khaliq
28-05-14, 14:23
Are they getting rid of SD channels?

Mr. Mister
28-05-14, 16:07
Are they getting rid of SD channels?

No one knows for sure.. Its too early to say.. All sorts of scare stories going around at the moment..

Some saying that we will have all channels black by New year.. Some also saying that the SD will be here for the foreseeable future..

Its take your pick on what you want to believe..