PDA

View Full Version : [CrossEPG-Other] Lost all Epg date aside from FTA tonight ?

rake
23-05-14, 21:57
Hi all.

Just turned on and hit cross to find l data lost except for FTA !
I hit the blue and updated cross and auto bouquets, rebooted box only to be met with the vix
Screen which hung indefinitely.

Upon opening epg and selecting a bouquet it was all n/a next to the Channel numbers.

I restored a backup to get back to having a picture but still no epg data.

Is it a new problem for everyone or has my USB stick gone kaput or something entirely different?

Any advice greatfully received

TIA

rake

judge
23-05-14, 22:06
Which ViX version & build number are you using?
Also, when did you last do a fresh flash without a settings restore?

rake
23-05-14, 22:20
Thanks for the prompt reply judge.

It's v3
Build 778
Kernel 3.3.8

Never done a fresh flash as only had the box for 6 months.

EPG updates have always worked well on 28.2 and this is the first issue issue
I have really had.

The box seems to see the USB stick but not sure if it's reading it or not but I do get the flashing read write led on it.

Many thanks
Rake

judge
23-05-14, 22:24
That's a pretty old build now & no longer supported.
Try fresh flashing a current build, available on http://openvix.co.uk

rake
23-05-14, 22:33
Cheers judge, don't mind taking the recommendation but as a support engineer
I would like to understand what's gone wrong by trouble shooting before proceeding.

I will reformat the USB stock first and see if it's a corrupted file system first.
Try to set the epg location to the hdd to fully eliminate it too.

Before flashing a new version I might ready the old one to see if it got corrupted but the fact that the FTA is there and the others are not eludes me.

Thanks again

Ron

judge
23-05-14, 22:45
It's more likely to be an outdated lamedb/satellites.xml file.
Images always come with upto date files, so if you fresh flash a new one, I doubt you'll have this issue.

Larry-G
23-05-14, 22:49
CrossEPG is well known for corrupting easily and it is recommended that yo do a clear out every now and again as you would with any computer equipment, which is essentially what your receiver is.

rake
23-05-14, 22:58
Thanks guys

I work on legacy kit so old skool must survive in my occupation hence the desire to get it working as is.
Funny thing is that it happened with autobouquets and vhannibals too so not restricted to cross epg.

Will format the epg stick tomorrow and reload a fresh db and update the thread.

rake
23-05-14, 23:46
Hmm enabled XML and full epg appeared which eliminates a write fail to the USB stick.
Problem must be in the image or providers now.

Will flatten the box and reflash original Image tomorrow

judge
23-05-14, 23:51
Problem must be in the image or providers now.

Image you're using & providers outdated by now. 6 months for an update is a long time in image development.

rake
24-05-14, 00:28
Hmm just tried to update plugins but feeds down for maint for a long time so can't update cross epg.
Strange.

I would have thought that the providers Are the same despite age version ?

I also noticed that if I select a channel with no epg info once selected the epg for that channel populates.

Getting interested in the workings now. Might connect another box to
Tomorrow such as an icecrypt and see if that updates

abu baniaz
24-05-14, 00:58
Feeds are deleted for your image version, so you cannot download any pugins on that image series. If you want to continue to fault find, put enigma to sleep with the the init 4 comamnd. Delet teh epg.dat file. Reboot and reset youe epg settings. It will download the epg data again for you.

There are different types of EPG data. When you zap to a channel it will populate. I think it is called EIT.

Larry-G
24-05-14, 08:50
If you'r using CrossEPG with the OpenTV providers for sky uk you dont need access to the feeds as it grabs it's data directly from the satellite same as sky do, but as Abu say's look towards the epg.dat file as this can become corrupted very easily.

rake
24-05-14, 21:29
If you'r using CrossEPG with the OpenTV providers for sky uk you dont need access to the feeds as it grabs it's data directly from the satellite same as sky do, but as Abu say's look towards the epg.dat file as this can become corrupted very easily.

Ah - thanks for this confirmation.
And thanks to abu too for that suggestion.

I telented and did the following

cd /
cd /media/USB

ls -al

confirmed crossepg file and epg.dat present

init 4
rm rpg.dat
rm -rf crossepg
init 3

I then went to the box and opentv privdiers were still selected
I then hit download for cross epg and at the end of the parse I had a weird alaert - Service not found - check tuner config. I noted that the box LED display said DVB.

I rebooted via the 3 pin reset (power down and power up)

Guess what - still only FTA in the bouquets.

If the feeds dont give the epg and it comes from the sources, what might be going wrong here ?

Many thanks.

Ron.

PS - I just did a more epg.dat command to find that 0% of the bytes from each channel had been downloaded......I can screen dump it if you wish to see.

Larry-G
24-05-14, 22:46
what are your EPG settings exactly ?.

mine are setup as per this tutorial i wrote about a year ago and are still working great, although I use the Internal HDD to store my EPG on instead of a USB stick.

http://openvix.co.uk/index.php?dir=Guides%20and%20Tutorials/&file=How%20to%20setup%20CrossEPG%20for%20Sky%20uk% 20on%20ViX%203.0.pdf

rake
24-05-14, 23:31
Hi Phoenix

Really appreciate your support here as this is driving me nuts.

EPG setting as follows.

I have autobouquets & cross epg plugins installed.
Go to setup > system > EPG > cross epg > open tv providers > 28.2 & 28.4 enabled.
Download now.

Epg location USB. Also just tried HDD and the result is the same.

Up until now this has been sufficient to clear frequency / channel changes adequately.

I have tried autobouquets maker with the same negative result too and vhannibals also.

All as per your procedure - just checked it.

Kind regards

Rake

judge
24-05-14, 23:38
Have you updated to a current image yet?

rake
24-05-14, 23:57
No judge I have not as I don't believe that it's the fix.
What happened between yesterday and the day before that
Would affect this issue ?

As stated previously the epg comes direct so why would the image version affect it ?

Sorry if I am being OCD about this but I have a nee to understand things like this.

I can't say who I work for but I do unix and sw support for a living hence my persistence. I often have to restore corrupt db's and perform RCA so this is kind of a personal RCA of sorts.

Thank you

Rake

I am considering factory reset and reload of this image next

judge
25-05-14, 00:07
As I said above, old image = old lamedb/satellites.xml file.
As you "do unix and sw support for a living" surely you can see the use of using current/updated images?

abu baniaz
25-05-14, 00:11
Was this a typo in forum or on receiver?

rm rpg.dat

rake
25-05-14, 00:28
Forum

rm -rf crossepg
Rm epg.dat

abu baniaz
25-05-14, 00:37
You only have the one location for epg?

rake
25-05-14, 00:50
Judge thank you but I fixed it despite the image version. So despite your learned comments you were wrong. But thanks for trying to help.

I do see the relevance of upgrades but not in this case .. as I said, I wanted to know what went wrong and now I do. RCA (root cause analysis) complete.

My epg is now fully populated thanks to Phoenix and Abu and nothing to do with image version as I suspected.

Phoenix - you're a star. Problem was in autobouquets config. Renewed the config as per the tut and epg is restored - thanks for giving me the idea and genuine help. Credit to the forum and genuine relevant advice given.

Fix - menu > settings -> service searching > ABM > mode = expert > scheduled scan = yes > providers sky uk area x > save > start scan. Exit

Settings > system > epg > crossEPG > download now.

Hope this thread will be of use to others.

Larry-G
25-05-14, 04:02
Go to setup > system > EPG > cross epg > open tv providers > 28.2 & 28.4 enabled.
Download now.

only select 28.2 not both.

Larry-G
25-05-14, 05:37
Judge thank you but I fixed it despite the image version. So despite your learned comments you were wrong. But thanks for trying to help.

Please dont dismiss Judge's help or consider it any thing but a honest attempt to help you. we are a small group of amateurs who all work from our spare time to provide help and support for ViX, as a small team we find it best to concentrate all our efforts on the image revisions we our selves are using, The last time any of us used ViX 3.0 was some seven months ago and there have been three image revisions since ViX 3.0 was closed down, plus the version of CrossEPG you are currently using is also outdated.

I am pleased you managed to resolve you'r issues but I still would recommend that you update you'r system to a newer image as time goes on we wont be able to provide as much help for these older images as we would otherwise like to.

Rob van der Does
25-05-14, 06:32
I have no idea why you would want to stay on an old image like that. Be aware that, apart from other updates, ABM & Cross have been overhauled since then.

Larry-G
25-05-14, 06:34
I have no idea why you would want to stay on an old image like that. Be aware that, apart from other updates, ABM & Cross have been overhauled since then.

A very valid point yes, ABM has been massively overhauled and now includes options for DVB-C (cable), DVB-T (terrestrial), CrossEPG too has been massively overhauled in later images.

rake
25-05-14, 09:43
Apologies chaps, I was over zealous in my response to judge - sorry chap it was just the little dig you had about my unix support that fired me up. I do honestly appreciate your help and hope there are no hard feelings. I had had a bit of wine last night too.

Regarding the image - I take your points of course but the object was to correct an error that I had a gut feeling was not related or at least restricted to the image. I do in earnest thank you all.

I will of course now consider an upgrade.

Thanks again
Rake