PDA

View Full Version : Vonets VAP11G problem

ttt1892
15-11-10, 14:44
I`ve been using a Vonets VAP11G wireless bridge since I got my duo in March.It has worked perfectly until yesterday.Now I`m not sure if it`s the wireless bridge or the Duo that`s the problem. The bridge is usb powered,when you plug the bridge into a usb slot on the duo a blue light comes on,when you plug the ethernet plug in to the duo you also get a yellow light come on.Well now the blue light no longer comes on.Yet if I plug the bridge usb plug into a usb slot on my PC the blue light comes on.This leads me to think there is not enough power coming through the duo usb slots.Does anyone have any ideas as to this problem? I also have a netgear usb dongle to connect to my netgear DG834G router,but I`ve never been able to get this to work on the duo.

ttt.

satmanbasil
15-11-10, 16:25
Hi mate

Have you checked your network setup in the vu ? have you assigned an IP address or allow dchp to assign?

In normal practice i would advise power down of both router and vu unpluging and waiting cpl of minutes then reconnect everything back up again see if this clears ur fault.

regards
satmanbasil

ttt1892
15-11-10, 16:32
Thanx for the reply satman, I`ve done all the things you say,just not happening. I`ve ordered another vonet to see if it`s the Duo that`s the problem.I hope it`s the vonet that`s at fault as I really need a wireless solution to my network connection.Do you know how to get my netgear usb adaptor to work on the Duo?

ttt.

ttt1892
15-11-10, 17:42
It does look like it`s the wifi bridge that is the problem.I plugged it into my daughter`s lappy and even though the blue light comes on,I cannot get the lappy to go online.Well that`s a relief.I don`t want my Vu to start going dodgy on me.I have a 20m ethernet cable connecting my VU(upstairs bedroon) to my PC(downstairs office).This a more stable solution.I may try and keep it hard wired if I can find a way of hiding the cable.:D

ttt.

ttt1892
17-11-10, 19:48
UPDATE:
Well it looks like it is my VU DUO that is the problem.I got my new vonets wifi bridge today and it has the same problem as my other Vonet. I`ve plugged both into my daughters lappy and they now both get recognised and the lappy goes online.I`m using pli image,so I`m gonna try a different image to see if there`s a difference.

ttt.

ttt1892
17-11-10, 20:09
Well my worst fears have been confirmed. I was gonna try another image,I can`t the usb slots are not working.Tried to install new image using the front usb slot.The usb stick I use has a light on it which lights up,but my duo just boots up as normal.Ah well looks like there is a used Duo going in the for sale section.

ttt.

marty
17-11-10, 20:39
Why no try a USB wifi dongle?
cheaper than a VAP11G

ttt1892
17-11-10, 20:42
The USB slots no longer work.

ttt.

marty
18-11-10, 06:58
How come? Treid reflashing?

silverfox0786
19-11-10, 05:23
vonet is the worst peice of kit you can buy it tends to blow the usb ports by surging there power happen to my brother in law brought one for his DM500 plugged it in at box was fine but needed to be configured so plugged it in laptop ethernet port then tried to power it via usb blew the laptop and i mean lirally blew the laptop. then we got anothe laptop plugged it in ethernet port and then powered it via the DM500 and then it was fine laptop didnt die. still working but for the fear of death he wont plug its power in his new laptop

Sicilian
19-11-10, 08:12
@ttt1892, try flashing with VuUtility through RS232, then try USB flashing again after.

ttt1892
19-11-10, 10:26
I don't see how the vonets can blow the USB ports. They are powered by the ports. I don't power them by using an ac plug,they get their power from the USB.
ttt.

ttt1892
19-11-10, 10:30
Sic, I will do as you say when I get my DB 8000. I don't want to try it yet in case the box completely breakdown. Then I won't have anything to watch.I will let you know how I get on.
Thanks.
ttt.

guff daddy
19-11-10, 11:17
Well my worst fears have been confirmed. I was gonna try another image,I can`t the usb slots are not working.Tried to install new image using the front usb slot.The usb stick I use has a light on it which lights up,but my duo just boots up as normal.Ah well looks like there is a used Duo going in the for sale section.

ttt.

I presume you made sure there were no other USB devices plugged in at the time?

ttt1892
19-11-10, 11:32
Yeah, only used USB for vonets and flashing. I have the Ethernet wired to my router now so I tried to flash using USB. It no longer works. The box works fine any other way, but as I said before I will leave it alone until I have a backup.
ttt.

Sicilian
19-11-10, 11:52
The power the Vonets VAP11G draw's might have damaged your unit. Thing is they're cheap far eastern wifi bridges. I'd always recommend using a proper wifi bridge manufactured by one of the big brands such as buffalo, Netgear etc..

I personally use one of these
http://www.buffalo-technology.com/products/wireless/wireless-n-nfiniti-dual-band/wli-tx4-ag300n-wireless-n-nfiniti-dual-band-ethernet-converter/

mimisiku
14-01-15, 20:31
VAP11G can only 'blow out' your USB if you connect both power from USB and simultaneoysly apply power via the DC input. This is very clearly stated in the tiny manual.. Using solely USB power will never surge your USB. USB has 500mA surge protection build in! If USB power is too limited/weak the VONETS will simply not work! Programming is another thing where VONETS drops the ball. Very poor setup tools and in many cases faulty info. Once working though they work flawlessly