PDA

View Full Version : New motorised satellite help!

scotsmarc
16-05-14, 09:13
Hi Folks,

Yesterday i had a new 1m motorised dish installed by an engineer. 1m technomate dish, alsat superior dark motor, 0.1 gold technoate dual LNB and it is connected to a VU Duo 2 box.
I also have a fixed dish conncted running to the box that is working fine, however the motorised dish i cannot get to pick up anything! The engineer assures me the dish is installed correctly.

I have tried searching on the positoner setup as well and i think i have my tuner settings correct ( (config - advanced satellite 28.2, lnb1, universal LNB voltage mode - polarisation, increased voltage - no, diseq mode 1.2 fast diseq - no, usuals - yes)
i have set my long and lat (51.192 east and 0.288 north)

can anyone help as to why i cant get anything? i have the most recent catseye chnnel list installed

Any help appreciated

robti
16-05-14, 09:41
Hi are you running VIX and they will ask what revision you have, on my twin with VIX I have tuner A set as simple, positioner, long,lat. and that drives the motor, I assume that you are going to do away with the fixed dish and connect both tuners to the motorised, if so tuner B is set up on mine as second cable of motorised lnb.

This might help till someone more knowledgable come along

Robert

abu baniaz
16-05-14, 10:00
Double check co ordinates.

dmgp
16-05-14, 10:23
You have lat and long co-ordinates reversed ie North and west. Be careful about giving your position so accurately ! You are North of Tongham according to your settings

DaMacFunkin
16-05-14, 12:50
You don't need to set advanced mode if you are using positioner, if tuner a is fixed 28.2 just use simple, 28.2, then on tuner b use positioner and enter your co - ordinates correctly, you don't need disceq settings or anything else changing or adding.

scotsmarc
16-05-14, 14:28
Thanks for the quick replies guys i really appreciate the help, yes i had the long and lat the worng way round!! duh! appreciate the help:)

robti
16-05-14, 15:25
You don't need to set advanced mode if you are using positioner, if tuner a is fixed 28.2 just use simple, 28.2, then on tuner b use positioner and enter your co - ordinates correctly, you don't need disceq settings or anything else changing or adding.
Can I ask why not using tuner A as the positioner ?

scotsmarc
16-05-14, 16:38
I am going to swap them over as we speak as im getting tune failed on some channels mainly the HD sports channels from the UK

bellejt
16-05-14, 16:46
i have 4 tuners.ACD are fixed and B is positioner on usals.Never had any problems.

scotsmarc
16-05-14, 17:27
I swapped over teh tuners and there was no improvement - i have now lost more channels that cant be tunes is tehre a way i can calibrate or auto tune? maybe a new satelite.xml file?

TK4|2|1
16-05-14, 17:42
If your coordinates are correct and you are using a downloaded channel list, eg catseye or vhannibals, the Dish is not aligned correctly, regardless of what your installer tells you.

Walt
16-05-14, 17:53
It's always best to have tuner b as motor. That way if you're recording (it'll always record using the 1st available tuner) you can still use all sats and not be forced to use 28.2.

bellejt
16-05-14, 18:07
just do a simple check : tune to a channel on tuner B (rotor-motorized). Then play with the settings off usals on Lat-long.If youre reception strenght improves it is better aligned.If not go the other way? I did he same and after all I moved the rotor 1 mm and have now more reception on that than om the fixed dish if there is bad wether.The coordinates you get on google or other sites are often a little bit off site.

Rob van der Does
16-05-14, 18:20
It's always best to have tuner b as motor.
Sorry to say, but that's nonsense.

it'll always record using the 1st available tuner
Sorry, but again nonsense.

abu baniaz
16-05-14, 18:30
Unless there is an underlying driver issue or hardware fault, Enigma2 will work out which is best tuner to use. It uses the one with least availability first, i.e, it leaves more resources available.

At initial stages, best to forget tuning. Use a premade list that is reasonably up to date. Just zap through different channels to see if your dish alignment is correct.

DaMacFunkin
16-05-14, 18:58
Can I ask why not using tuner A as the positioner ?

No reason I said if tuner a is set to 28.2, you can have it either way.

abu baniaz
16-05-14, 19:00
It does not matter which tuner is used. Be systematic and methodical in your testing. Reduce the variables.

DaMacFunkin
16-05-14, 19:04
P.s. my motorised has an offset if 0.03, then you can factor that into your usual s position, I managed to work it out in the sat positioner page, go to 0.8w and then have a a little play, if you find you can increase your strength then store that position as position 1, I'm sure this is what I did... I might just be talking shite though, it's been a stressful few weeks with me and boxes lol.

Walt
16-05-14, 19:08
Sorry to say, but that's nonsense.

Sorry, but again nonsense.

Advice I received when setting my receiver and has served me well. I was coming home after a recording had started on BBC1 and wasnt able to move the dish so I set Usals to tuner b and not had that issue since. If you can set the recording default to tuner b then please explain how.

Rob van der Does
17-05-14, 05:36
If you can set the recording default to tuner b then please explain how.
First tell us which image you use.

P.s. my motorised has an offset if 0.03, then you can factor that into your usual s position, I managed to work it out in the sat positioner page, go to 0.8w and then have a a little play, if you find you can increase your strength then store that position as position 1, I'm sure this is what I did... I might just be talking shite though, it's been a stressful few weeks with me and boxes lol.
When using USALS you can't store positions.
What you can do, and what you probably did, is adjusting your own position a bit to compensate for improper dish alignment.

robti
17-05-14, 08:31
As rob says the high winds I get over winter knocked mine off so at the moment I am 3* out on my settings so I fool the dish into thinking I am somewhere else just to get the arc a bit stronger

bellejt
17-05-14, 10:44
same as I do normal : 51.002 and 3.577.Now 51.011 and 3.960 .Perfect reception on all possible sats with 2.5 db higher.Easy and you don't have to move your dish.

scotsmarc
27-05-14, 16:06
bellejt - i am interested to know how you calculated your offset? I seem to have manuallly tuned in all sats however not getting anything on 16east