PDA

View Full Version : 2 receivers on one motorised dish

stuart35
15-05-14, 18:22
I have a solo 2 running vix helios 17 in my living room, i have a single lnb on my motorised dish to tuner a on the solo2. I want to purchase another e2 box for the bedroom, maybe a gb or a solo 2, with vix......here is my question. Can i control the dish via the bedroom box if i use the loopthrough on the solo2? Is this the best option and what settings for tuner configuration should i use?

Ive found many answers here on setting up the solo2, so easy with the guides here so any help would be appreciated.

stuart35
15-05-14, 18:52
Just had a look and i dont have a loopthrough as i thought so is an a/b switch with a cable to the bedroom box my only option and can i control the dish from both if one is on standby

Rob van der Does
16-05-14, 06:52
I would never do such a thing; complicated and asking for issues.
Why not buy a (cheap) box for the bedroom and not connect a LNB at all, but use the main Solo2 as server via LAN connection.

stuart35
16-05-14, 14:28
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like another option. Would that lan connection be able to move the motorised dish?

josh_g
16-05-14, 15:40
the extension RemoteStreamChannelConvert in the plugins feed will allow you to stream one tuner from you server box to you second box. i am doing this from my TM-Twin to my TM-Nano and it works flawlessly and is over Wifi not LAN. Although it is on a fixed dish, in theory it should move your motor when changing channel. :thumbsup:

Rob van der Does
16-05-14, 16:28
When setup correctly you can watch live-TV as well as recording that the server box holds. By far the better option over a second feed only working half.

Rob van der Does
16-05-14, 16:29
And shortly the server-client box setup will be fully integrated in the image, so no plugins will be required.

stuart35
17-05-14, 17:19
I'll try that so thanks for the good advice everyone. :thumbsup:

parma
17-05-14, 19:05
I have duo in the living room and a duo2 in the bedroom,both boxes A tuner works of one fixed dish and the B tuner of the motorized dish via A/B switch and single lnb. it took some thinking about on the set up and laying the cable but it works good thing about that set up both boxes are independent when it comes to recording on the fixed dish. however the master has to be on standby to move dish via the second box. i be very interested in the setup and the working of the server client box

Rob van der Does
17-05-14, 19:12
In short:
1- On the client box install the remote channel stream converter. Run the plugin: it will add the bouquets from the server box to your services list.
2- On the client box install the remote timer plugin: that allows to set timers on the server box.
3- On the client mount the HDD of the server.

PS: The DUO2 for the living (as server) and the DUO in the bedroom (as client) seems more appropriate to me.....

parma
17-05-14, 19:38
ha ha not in my house wife controls the tv in living room

parma
17-05-14, 20:20
done the setup just for the sake of it wow took minutes to set up if i knew about this set up first would never bothered with mine

stuart35
18-05-14, 14:54
This remote channel converter setup sounds exactly what i want to do so thanks for all the good advice. Just about to order the new box this week so setup should be a breeze.

bellejt
18-05-14, 15:35
I have a VU+ DUO2 in living room with 2 times twin tuner DVB-S2.All the other boxes in the house connect trough remote.Easy and everyone can watch all recordings.My tuner setup is 3 X 4 sats fixed and 1 rotor.The real thing is that you don't need to have additional cards for decoding.You can have 4 scrambled streams decoding.And only the main box is connected on dishes.So no cables trough the house because all is working on excisting ethernet or wireless 130 Mb.

stuart35
23-05-14, 20:30
So ive done all the steps in post #10, all working fine but one thing still to sort....how do i get the epg to populate on the client box? I can see all of the channels that i downloaded and tried different settings but no joy.

Rob van der Does
23-05-14, 21:00
1) The same way as you get them on the server box, or
2) Let the clientbox read the epg.dat from the serverbox (epg settings).

josh_g
24-05-14, 10:55
Hoe do you let the client box read the data from master box rob??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob van der Does
24-05-14, 11:15
Two options:
1- Copy the epg.dat from the serverbox to the clientbox (flash/stick) and let the client read it (Menu --> Setup --> System --> EPG --> Load/Save).

2- Set the epg.dat from the client to be the same as from the serverbox ((Menu --> Setup --> System --> EPG --> EPG location & EPG filename).
2a- Fine tune by letting the server 'automatic refresh' (every hour or so) and the client to 'Automatic refresh'.

josh_g
24-05-14, 13:02
Two options:
1- Copy the epg.dat from the serverbox to the clientbox (flash/stick) and let the client read it (Menu --> Setup --> System --> EPG --> Load/Save).

2- Set the epg.dat from the client to be the same as from the serverbox ((Menu --> Setup --> System --> EPG --> EPG location & EPG filename).
2a- Fine tune by letting the server 'automatic refresh' (every hour or so) and the client to 'Automatic refresh'.

i take it the second way you need to have the location of the EPG data mounted as a network share on the second?

Rob van der Does
24-05-14, 13:06
On a shared location, so e.g. the internal HDD of the server, as that's the most logical location and that will be mounted anyway.

stuart35
24-05-14, 17:48
Sorted it to work using option 2 and 2a. Thanks for the info Rob

stuart35
26-05-14, 14:09
So I've tried by mounting the USB on the server as that's where my epg is kept but it won't populate the client epg. Do the settings on the graphical epg and info bar epg need to be the same.? Mine are different on both boxes. I've tried setting the server USB in settings and loading epg but no luck so far.

Rob van der Does
26-05-14, 16:17
So you set the clientbox to use the name (epg.dat or whatever it is) that has been set for the serverbox?
And you're sure the location is correct and mounted (showing as such in network mounts, preferably set up using autofs?

So e.g.:
Server set up to 'epg.dat' on media/usb
Client set up to 'epg.dat' on /media/autofs/usb

and the load epg doesn't work?

The settings for the G-EPG, I-EPG etc are only lay-out settings; they don't need to be the same.

stuart35
26-05-14, 17:04
Hi Rob yes ive mounted the network and set the client to read /media/autofs/hdd but on the settings option i only get media/usb internal flash or /media/autofs/VUSOLO2 neither work when i load epg. Funny thing is if i go into cross epg i can see details of the database.
Ive tried a workaround by connecting a feed to the client, running cross epg and saving it to a usb stick in the client box then settings to read that. This is working for now but the option you say is better if it would work.

Rob van der Does
26-05-14, 17:14
You're right, should be something like /media/autofs/ServerName/usb
That mount must have been made via the network browser: did you do that?

stuart35
26-05-14, 17:27
Yes via network browser using autofs. Ive tried it with the usb and hdd on the server box. I cleared cross epg and ran it again on my server box too just to be sure. I can see the crossepg DB in info on database on the client .Its baffled me completely.

Rob van der Does
26-05-14, 17:31
Just to be sure: you didn't setup Cross on the client I hope? Just reading the server's EPG.dat should do the trick.

stuart35
26-05-14, 17:44
I did run cross on the client with a feed connected and used settings to save it to usb in client. I deleted the cross epg file on the client usb in filezilla after though.

Rob van der Does
26-05-14, 19:26
Well, it's not a crime of course, but running Cross makes reading the servers epg.dat rather redundant.

stuart35
27-05-14, 15:31
Rob...Here is a funny thing.

Just for the sake of it i ran cross epg this morning on the client, settings stay the same so epg is on server HDD, no feed connected to client this time, the crossepg downloader started but didn't fill the download bar, it saved data and now the epg on the client is populated. The epg on server and client work fine. Bizzare how it works now, must force load the epg.dat from the server HDD to the client box somehow using crossepg. Im happy and so the wife :thumbsup:

Rob van der Does
27-05-14, 15:37
Hmmm, beats me :confused:
But if you're happy, I'm happy as well :p