PDA

View Full Version : Will new Vix image play H265 ?

thisntaht
15-05-14, 09:47
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if the new vix image will play the compression standard, H265 (high efficiency video coding)?

pooface
15-05-14, 12:13
This will all be dependant on whether the chips inside the box can handle it, and whether the manufacturers will develop the drivers to handle the codec... Nothing is software enabled (none of the boxes will be able to decode the codec via software)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thisntaht
15-05-14, 12:18
Ok but the likes of the Duo2 and Solo2 should have no problems in this area (Hardware wise) to "Handle it", should the driver become available?

This will all be dependant on whether the chips inside the box can handle it, and whether the manufacturers will develop the drivers to handle the codec... Nothing is software enabled (none of the boxes will be able to decode the codec via software)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pooface
15-05-14, 12:39
If the chips can handle it, and drivers are updated to handle, then all boxes will support... However, even the newer models with bigger spec processors still can't handle! 14 years ago,I had a 1ghz processor in my machine, and that only just coped with xvid. These new processors just aren't up to the job, it's all fine via the hardware to decode the video...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Rob van der Does
15-05-14, 12:43
Pretty sure the present generation can't handle H265, as those SoC's were released before H265 was standardised.
And even the 1.3GHz SoC only have the power of a Pentium II, so decoding in software is out of the question.

thisntaht
15-05-14, 13:27
Is H265 really that severe and inefficient with processing power? It can't be or shouldn't be :confused:
Surely they had to make it as efficient as possible due to the nature of what its actually doing?

Look at android, they are trying to make each newer build work more efficiently with less or lower processors,
I can't understand why they wouldn't do this with H265 etc, Is there a reason :confused:

Pretty sure the present generation can't handle H265, as those SoC's were released before H265 was standardised.
And even the 1.3GHz SoC only have the power of a Pentium II, so decoding in software is out of the question.

Rob van der Does
15-05-14, 14:07
Not sure what you mean.
This has nothing to do with the/any new codec, but with the way STB's decode video. And that is in hardware, not in software (again: as a Pentium II alike isn't capable of decoding video at all).

BTW: the title of the tread is wrong.
ViX is an enigma based image and as long as any new STB (with or without H265 support) can run E2, it is possible that ViX would make an image for the box.
So the title should have been: will there be E2 based H265 capable STB's (in the near future).
And then the answer would probably have been: we (as a team) have no idea about the future plans of any hardare manufacturer.

thisntaht
15-05-14, 14:17
ViX is an enigma based image and as long as any new STB (with or without H265 support) can run E2, it is possible that ViX would make an image for the box.
So the title should have been: will there be E2 based H265 capable STB's (in the near future).
And then the answer would probably have been: we (as a team) have no idea about the future plans of any hardare manufacturer.

Ok fair enough :)
Do you know are there any E2 boxes on the market that support H265?
Do the official Sky HD boxes support it? as they are using it in the future?
I have no doubt of the ability of the vix team, interesting times ahead :thumbsup:

Rob van der Does
15-05-14, 14:21
Do you know are there any E2 boxes on the market that support H265?

Not atm.

Do the official Sky HD boxes support it? as they are using it in the future?
I can't believe that, as the new codec has only very recently been introduced/approved.

But how long before HD was actually transmitted via the satellite were HD-capable Skyboxes available? That might give some idea.