PDA

View Full Version : Have Quad Plus for home use - looking for new receiver for experimentation!

Joe_90
13-05-14, 21:17
Have the Quad Plus since the first week in April, very pleased so far. Once the VIX image is available I will move this box into the living room to replace the Humax Foxsat receiver (which has the Media and File Server Bundle since first release) and my local terrestrial digital receiver (Saorview). On the sound side I'm somewhat spoiled by my xbmc box over the past few years which has grown in capability - full PCM multichannel support up to 192kHz and, on the video/BluRay side, full support of Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD-Master, etc., etc. I'm not quite sure that the OE - Alliance images are up to that standard yet, but I'm hopeful that they will grow into it. However, the pause live TV, record, timers etc. on OpenMIPS/ATV are way ahead of the pack in comparison with what xmbc has to offer so it's got a lot more Wife Appreciation Factor than xbmc which is where I'm nailing my colours to the mast! So job done for the home machine!

The general smooth operation (in comparison with my early Dreambox days many years ago and more recently with my Manhattan) of the Enigma2 images has encouraged me to change my old Manhattan Plaza receiver for a new one (for my own use in sat experimentation mostly) and I would like some advice on what's best in breed at the moment. I only need one DVB-S2 tuner and a DVB-T2 tuner, plus a hard drive. Ideally I would like to be able to receive and decode 4:2:2 video and have the facility to do fast blind scans. I have a motor and can cover 53E to 58W at my location. What I would like are recommendations for an experimental box which would give me the utmost flexibility for future use - not bothered hugely about smart card support but if the facility is there, then all the better!