PDA

View Full Version : Hdd

bob1
14-11-10, 19:12
There used to be issues with hardrives above 1tb is this still true, i'm tempted to go 2tb.

marty
14-11-10, 20:34
There used to be issues with hardrives above 1tb is this still true, i'm tempted to go 2tb.

I'm using a 1.5TB with no issues at all :)

Sicilian
16-11-10, 15:25

How much data do you have on there?

marty
16-11-10, 16:38
How much data do you have on there?

ATM I've used 477GB, but I have used as much as 750GB in the past.

I fitted the drive myself but the place where I got it from can supply ready fitted 500gb, 1tb, 1.5tb and 2tb

pooface
22-11-10, 10:16

Dunno whether it is still an issue, but I know it was about a month or 2 back for me. I was using a 1.5tb e-sata hdd, and had problems all over the place. Lost a few recordings because of this...

This was only when the hdd got to 1tb full. So, larger hard drives are only an issue when you use more than 1tb of data...

I am now using a 2tb hdd personally (sata, not e-sata), and am not having any problems. But, I don't know whether it would have problems if I had more than 1tb of data on the hdd... What I currently have done, is to partition my hdd in to 2 x 1tb. I have the sda1 mapped to /media/hdd and use that as my main recording drive, and then I have sda2 mapped to /media/hdd2, and use that as an archive/mkv drive. Here, I created some folders (e.g. /media/hdd2/Archive and /media/hdd2/MKV, and I then created symlinks in /media/hdd/movie to the two previous folders. Now, in the VIX image, I can navigate to the extra folders on /media/hdd2 straight from the recordings menu. If I want to archive a film/program, I just move it over (takes a little while though, so find it easier to do that through telnet to save the moving screen staying on whilst moving :p)

That's because you've not using more than 1tb of data on it yet :p

marty
22-11-10, 10:26
That's because you've not using more than 1tb of data on it yet :p

Most likely never will :) not much worth recording ATM and I use my bluray player for playback of MKV's (500GB EXT drive)