PDA

View Full Version : Lost in the sea of the satellite receivers....

mfallou
12-05-14, 13:30
Hi,

First I am sorry to ask this eternal same request, but the more I read and search for a receiver the more I am completely lost...

I just move into a new house with a dish to Sky (probably), and I don't want to spend more than £150, with a very max to £200 in a receiver as it wasn't plan a all to buy one (we planned to just buy a Freesat box at £50).

The only thing I am pretty sure is if I buy something in this range of price, it will the quality expected for this range, so no illusion.

I end up with the Gigablue HD800. And I just want some confirmation:
- With the twin tuner, will I be able to record a channel and watch another one ?
- Will I be able to install plugins ?
- Is there some kind of EPG ?
- Can we have BBC Iplayer ?
- What image do you advice (from the list from the world-of-satellite shop) ?
- Is it easy enough to use, if, for example (...), someone just want to watch Master Chef or Grand Design ?
- Is there any critical downsides ?
- Is it a good choice for this price range ? What about the Miracle Box ?

One more question:
What is exactly a Hybrid tuner. I understand it allow both digital and analog signal, but why is it usually cheaper than a SATELLITE DVB-S/S2 ?

Thanks a lot !

marty
12-05-14, 14:03
- Is there any critical downsides ?

1080p MKV playback sucks.
IMHO go for a TM

mfallou
12-05-14, 18:03
1080p MKV playback sucks.
IMHO go for a TM

Thanks for the quick reply.

Does that mean if I record an HD channel and then playback the record, it will be crappy ?

So another question, is it possible to record on a NAS or on any share drive on the network ? Because I have a rPi so I might be able to record with HD800 and then playback with the Pi.

twol
12-05-14, 18:47
Thanks for the quick reply.

Does that mean if I record an HD channel and then playback the record, it will be crappy ?

So another question, is it possible to record on a NAS or on any share drive on the network ? Because I have a rPi so I might be able to record with HD800 and then playback with the Pi.
Unless you are into mkv,s ignore the quote....when you record it is a ts file, should play fine.
Yes you can use a networked drive although i haven't tried it.

mfallou
13-05-14, 11:54
So is it good choice without talking MKV playback ?

And is there any reason to get an extra hybrid tuner over a extra full one ?

marty
13-05-14, 12:41
So is it good choice without talking MKV playback ?

Not really, super laggy and unresponsive and if anyone tells you otherwise they are telling pork pies :p
Very disappointing box considering the specs!!!

judge
13-05-14, 12:53
Not really, super laggy and unresponsive and if anyone tells you otherwise they are telling pork pies :p

I'd disagree. Yes 1080p MKV playback is useless, other than that, I don't find the box laggy at all.

dwarf
13-05-14, 13:19

I also disagree the box isn't laggy at all if you want to talk about laggy boxes try using a 1000xp.

If you want to view freesat then the gigablue 800 series boxes are fine. You'll get the freesat epg on any enigma 2 box and be able to record to a nas or other network share.

Ondemand plugins are available in the feeds which give you access to iplayer 4od and ITV player.

If you want to record and go for the tuner option then you can record to a nas or usb hard disk as there is nowhere to install a hard disk in the box.

If your not too bothered about going the twin tuner route (recording one program while watching another) I would advise saving £40 and going for the technomate nano.

Best image by far is openvix, It's logical easy to set up and has great support. The other images tend to focus on looking pretty but can be a challenge finding everything you want to set up.

marty
13-05-14, 14:48
I also disagree the box isn't laggy at all if you want to talk about laggy boxes try using a 1000xp.

I have the SF8, it is noticeable quicker than the 800+

Lets agree to disagree ;) and buy a TM :thumbsup:

josh_g
13-05-14, 15:07
I have the SF8, it is noticeable quicker than the 800+

Lets agree to disagree ;) and buy a TM :thumbsup:

well lets not talk TM till my pink screen is sorted ;)

Larry-G
13-05-14, 15:30
well lets not talk TM till my pink screen is sorted ;)

Can't fault the TM hardware, the drivers on the other hand are very poor.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

josh_g
13-05-14, 15:40
Can't fault the TM hardware, the drivers on the other hand are very poor.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

i love my TM boxes never had any issues other than driver related.. my nano was rock slid till the pink screen and tbh i am glad i chose my Twin over the Duo with all the hardware issues they have

marty
13-05-14, 16:09
Dread to think what a GB clone would be like :sofahide:

Mr. Mister
13-05-14, 16:57
Dread to think what a GB clone would be like :sofahide:

Thanks god we got no such thing as far as i am aware.. lmao

I really like the GB range.. I now have 6 Quads and a 800 UE.. and would have no issues at all in buying another at any time..

Totally rock solid.. Great little boxes..

marty
13-05-14, 16:59

I really like the GB range.. I now have 6 Quads and a 800 UE.. and would have no issues at all in buying another at any time..

Swap you a 800UE+ for your TM-Twin :p

mfallou
13-05-14, 18:07
Thanks again for the replies !

I am almost more confused now ! :)
I will probably need a twin tuner, so in this case I will probably go with Gigablue. Except if someone advices something else.

But that's a shame, the Gigablue is out of stock on world-of-satellite !

Larry-G
13-05-14, 18:09

Yeah I have had a Quad for just over a week and cant fault it yet, although i am aware of the issues it suffered in it's early life with drivers etc.

mfallou
13-05-14, 22:54
So if I understand well, if for £200 I can have a HD800 or TM Twin, I should get the twin, right ?