PDA

View Full Version : expensive boxes

thejoker
11-05-14, 15:59
Why are the boxes not a lot cheaper now that the reason all of us own a box will soon be over....

Larry-G
11-05-14, 16:25
Why are the boxes not a lot cheaper now that the reason all of us own a box will soon be over....

Because not all of us are it to illegally pirate pay TV channels, just because certain channels are going off does not mean the price of receivers will suddenly drop, they still have to pay for things like manufacturing, research and development.

Rob van der Does
11-05-14, 16:30
And don't forget that the UK is only a small part of the Linux box market.

stewartie4
11-05-14, 16:47
Card-sharing has been going on for years and sky has been unable to stop it. I myself do not agree with it and it annoys me that I was paying £30 a month to sky when others are getting more for less, but what makes you think it is suddenly going to stop?

Boxes such as the solo2 and duo2 are very expensive but there are cheaper alternatives out there!

Rob van der Does
11-05-14, 16:51
For the time being it looks like Sky-UK is making an end to it. If you even can't use your own box, how could you use CS :confused:
But as Sky-UK is doing this by enforcing their clients to use a proprietary box, I bet they will loose clients as well.

stewartie4
11-05-14, 16:55
For the time being it looks like Sky-UK is making an end to it. If you even can't use your own box, how could you use CS :confused:
But as Sky-UK is doing this by enforcing their clients to use a proprietary box, I bet they will loose clients as well.

That's a big deal for me because i watch channels such as Sony TV with a FSFS card a lot on my solo2.

Rob van der Does
11-05-14, 16:58
What is a 'FSFS card'?

thejoker
11-05-14, 17:04
Ok, granted there is probably a tiny percentage using for legal purposes.

What can I do legally with my vu solo 2. Not sure whether to keep it or downscale....

Surely UK purchases of these boxes will drop by at least 80% in the coming months

abu baniaz
11-05-14, 17:18
What is a 'FSFS card'?

FreeSat for SKY. Required for Free to View channels.

stewartie4
11-05-14, 17:22
Ok, granted there is probably a tiny percentage using for legal purposes.

What can I do legally with my vu solo 2. Not sure whether to keep it or downscale....

Surely UK purchases of these boxes will drop by at least 80% in the coming months

You have no reason to believe that. What proof is there that Sky are going to stop cardsharing?

anyway lots of people like myself don't buy these boxes for cardsharing!

pooface
11-05-14, 17:25
Please remember the forum rules, and any more chat regarding card sharing will force this thread to be closed!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

steve1978
11-05-14, 19:08
Hi.
On demand
Dlna player
Multi sat
Images designed by users
Plus copying downloaded movies to the box for later playback. Just a couple of my reasons why I have a duo and a uno. If I had £1 for every time someone has said it's all going to end I would have at least £25. :)

twol
12-05-14, 08:10
Very true... My German neighbours are going mad, with Sky trying to force them to take a new super Sky box, which restricts their ability to use options (e.g. Recording and transferring to PC) even on fta channels.

thejoker
12-05-14, 08:42
Sky arts 1&2 hd. National geographic, history hd, crime hd

That's my proof....

Maxwell
12-05-14, 08:53

That's my proof....
Proof that your ILLEGAL activities are being dealt with.

If you bought a box purely to STEAL from a provider you have no place in this hobby.

judge
12-05-14, 10:54

That's my proof....

Brace yourself for black Thursday so. I think we all know who to blame...

Larry-G
12-05-14, 11:03
Brace yourself for black Thursday so. I think we all know who to blame...

Yeah rupert murdock and the UK government for allowing his monopoly.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Rob van der Does
12-05-14, 11:54
Hmmm I would rather say the UK consumers/MP's for allowing the UK government to allow Murdock's monopoly.

Peterj
12-05-14, 12:14

What is expensive.
My cheapest box is around 250 euro's.
What do you have:
- top quality DVB HD receiver.
- beautiful user interface.
- HD recorder.
- hours of timeshifting.
- excellent way of recording timers.
- Multimedia station which plays almost everything.
- Can watch recorded programs from other E2 boxes.
- Can watch easy from NAS.
- Lot of plugins (if you want it).
- Streaming to mobile devices.
- Streaming using webinterface.
- etcetc.

I never will find a better STB.
Already get rid of my ACRayon. Doesn't need it anymore.

marty
12-05-14, 12:59
If you can only use your box for Sky CS then you haven't a clue on how to use your equipment :p
E² boxes aren't for just watching sat TV ;)

But if you insist the boxes are worth feck all I'll give you a fiver for yours :p

Rob van der Does
12-05-14, 13:09
But if you insist the boxes are worth feck all I'll give you a fiver for yours :p
I'll offer 7.50!

judge
12-05-14, 13:21
I'll offer 7.50!

I'll go as far as £8.50.

signman
12-05-14, 13:28
Boxes now offer not just TV but a modern entertainment package in one position and is going to continue without CS demise!

Rob van der Does
12-05-14, 13:51
I'll go as far as £8.50.
np, raising to £9.00 :p

marty
12-05-14, 14:01
np, raising to £9.00 :p

Too much!!!!!!! you can buy a DUO² for that sort of money :p

huey45
12-05-14, 14:20
tenner from me i love my uno..lol

Rob van der Does
12-05-14, 14:21
Too much!!!!!!! you can buy a DUO² for that sort of money :p
OK, I'm on my way to collect yours :thumbsup:

dfdream
12-05-14, 14:24
Peterj, I agree that most of the people on this forum use these features.
The issue is that they are only one person in each house and the rest of the family watch SAT TV.
That's where the dilemma is.

What is expensive.
My cheapest box is around 250 euro's.
What do you have:
- top quality DVB HD receiver.
- beautiful user interface.
- HD recorder.
- hours of timeshifting.
- excellent way of recording timers.
- Multimedia station which plays almost everything.
- Can watch recorded programs from other E2 boxes.
- Can watch easy from NAS.
- Lot of plugins (if you want it).
- Streaming to mobile devices.
- Streaming using webinterface.
- etcetc.

I never will find a better STB.
Already get rid of my ACRayon. Doesn't need it anymore.

josh_g
12-05-14, 14:37
Peterj, I agree that most of the people on this forum use these features.
The issue is that they are only one person in each house and the rest of the family watch SAT TV.
That's where the dilemma is.

well if you cant decode the HD channels on sky do what i did and run ABM to your region with SD and away you go.. now the flatmate knows no difference :thumbsup:

judge
13-05-14, 00:15
Yeah rupert murdock and the UK government for allowing his monopoly.
Don't take the fun out of it pheonix. We all know it's not down to billionaires & their tax avoidance schemes, it's all your fault.

tomthebomb1968
13-05-14, 01:20
Proof that your ILLEGAL activities are being dealt with.

If you bought a box purely to STEAL from a provider you have no place in this hobby.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/images/BlueSteel/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by thejoker http://www.world-of-satellite.com/images/BlueSteel/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?p=289694#post289694)

That's my proof....

How does that prove that hes doing anything Illegal. All it proves is that that he is not using his card in the broadcasters STB.
A breech of t&c but not illegal.

Maxwell
13-05-14, 07:05
he makes it quite plain he is using CS

Larry-G
13-05-14, 07:50
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/images/BlueSteel/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by thejoker http://www.world-of-satellite.com/images/BlueSteel/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?p=289694#post289694)

That's my proof....

How does that prove that hes doing anything Illegal. All it proves is that that he is not using his card in the broadcasters STB.
A breech of t&c but not illegal.

Because he is well known on many forums as a pay server user.

Flyingpig
13-05-14, 21:42
The actual activity of C/S is not illegal, however the selling of services that you are not entitled to sell is, and these "pirates" do it by selling shares to TV providers that they are not allowed to.

There are a lot of providers across Europe (fingers crossed Bee Tee sports will remain viewable) that allow the subscribers to use an off the shelf type box - to which Robin Van Der Does will testify. It is an absolute pain that B$lyB make us use their box and until we take a stand (which we won't) it will never change. in the UK we are only a very small part of the worldwide satellite enthusiast so the boxes, in my guess, will not even come down one bit.

degoosefish
13-05-14, 22:18
Please stop everyone making out that your all so pure and wonderful and taking digs at the CS every opportunity. Everybody jumps on the moral highground band wagon about that stuff and its getting boring yawn. Rant over

I think the point has been diluted through the thread the fact is the STB's are expensive but in my opinion worth every penny but that's because I have become an enthusiast over time. So I can appreciate the wide range of services that these high end boxes provide along with the many hours that the vix team put in to perfecting and dealing with bugs etc.

However alot of these features celebrated by me and my buddies are wasted on others who can't appreciate the power of VIX and a decent STB. Doesn't mean they shouldn't own a high end stb just maybe they purchased without knowing what they needed and a little more research / education on its capabilities.:thumbsup:

Ojustaboo
14-05-14, 12:23

I use my Quad as an excellent Freesat box, no cards currently used at all.

Very very very happy with it.

Rob van der Does
14-05-14, 12:44
Even if from now on nobody in the UK would buy an E2 box anymore, that would have zero influence on the world E2-market.

DaMacFunkin
14-05-14, 12:58
What about the uk based sponsor? They will invariably have to down size and maybe make staff redundant.
Also if the full $ly uk does go and I can't distribute my legal subscription to the rest of my household I won't be able to justify having 3 e2 boxes, I will have to get rid of 2 and replace them with $ly boxes, I would probably keep the duo2 or solo2 for euro purposes.

Flyingpig
14-05-14, 14:12
Even if from now on nobody in the UK would buy an E2 box anymore, that would have zero influence on the world E2-market.

Agreed!! I wish people from England / UK would stop thinking that $ly Uk is the centre of hte universe - it is a very small portion (minute in fact - less than 1% i suspect) of the global market.