PDA

View Full Version : New download site for ocram picons.

Larry-G
11-05-14, 09:29
Just to let every one know ocram has a new download site for his picons here
http://www.picons.org/. so if you choose to download you'r ocram picons manually rather from the image feeds, this is where you now need to get them.

deleted
11-05-14, 09:45
Dear picon users,

As of recently we've got our own domain name, www.picons.org and we are hosting everything on our own VPS...

Reasons for this change are, it became a bit tiresome uploading 100's of MB every new build with a slow 5Mbit upload. Now we are also able to keep available a bigger amount of different versions to choose from. Gone is the use of Google Drive to host the downloads, so users who prefer the use of their own script can easily make us of 'wget'.

In the past we could have different versions, for 'build', 'feed' and 'downloads', not anymore, every build will end up in the downloads and in the feed. OpenVIX will adjust to the new feed location starting from one of the next image builds. So no worries there and perfectly in sync.

Builds of the new picons happen every day starting at 0:00 and finishing before 03:00 if there is something to update obviously.

iba
30-07-14, 00:52
Just to let every one know ocram has a new download site for his picons here
http://www.picons.org/. so if you choose to download you'r ocram picons manually rather from the image feeds, this is where you now need to get them.

This site www.picons.org will not open for me - has it closed down please?

Larry-G
30-07-14, 00:53
yes it has for the time being any way, this is what was causing the issue with the ViX feeds and why we had to remove it for now.

uscool
30-07-14, 12:20
any contact with oscram whats happened ?

Thanks

Larry-G
30-07-14, 13:04
The server has been taken down for financial reasons, we offered to host his picons on our server for free but he declined the offer.

deleted
30-07-14, 13:55
Just to expand on this...

The server was a full VPS wich did all the building of the picons automatically every day if there were changes, and it hosted the downloads+website. So minimal input was required from my side, I also gave somebody else full admin access to the git repository... This way the project could go on without any major work from my part, because I don't have the time anymore. Doing a quick pull request and fixing an issue here and there, would still be done offcourse, but in theory it could sustain itself with user input alone.

I very much appreciate the offer from OpenVIX, but basic FTP hosting is not the same as a VPS. It would mean I had to again use my own hardware to be on, hours on end to build the picons and upload hundreds of MB's, so again putting a lot of time in it from my end, don't know where most live, but electricity and bandwidth isn't free here. Not that it would cost me an arm, but just to put that offer of "free" in perspective.

Also we had thousands of users, a daily download of about 3GB worth of picons, but most people did not think the project was worth donating. Funds dry up fast in that case.

Sicilian
30-07-14, 14:10

The server was a full VPS wich did all the building of the picons automatically every day if there were changes, and it hosted the downloads+website. So minimal input was required from my side, I also gave somebody else full admin access to the git repository... This way the project could go on without any major work from my part, because I don't have the time anymore. Doing a quick pull request and fixing an issue here and there, would still be done offcourse, but in theory it could sustain itself with user input alone.

I very much appreciate the offer from OpenVIX, but basic FTP hosting is not the same as a VPS. It would mean I had to again use my own hardware to be on, hours on end to build the picons and upload hundreds of MB's, so again putting a lot of time in it from my end, don't know where most live, but electricity and bandwidth isn't free here. Not that it would cost me an arm, but just to put that offer of "free" in perspective.

Also we had thousands of users, a daily download of about 3GB worth of picons, but most people did not think the project was worth donating. Funds dry up fast in that case.

We have a dedicated build server for ViX, sure we can allow you access to that some how. Drop me a pm if your interested in finding a way forward.

judge
31-07-14, 00:43
ocram, don't mean to sound ungrateful but taking the server down without warning, causing image updates for any image that included the feeds to break is slightly harsh.
With a bit of warning, they could have been removed in an update beforehand.

Any chance you can upload the last built IPKs here for anyone that wants to use them? or are they available on any other site?

uscool
02-08-14, 10:43
Hi, anyone have file of IPK of last ocram white transparent no padding ?

Thanks

PattoLFC
02-08-14, 12:15

I've just sent you a PM which should be able to help.

mogli
04-08-14, 21:13
Does anybody have any backup of the picons? would they be able to provide a link for manual apply or would that not be allowed?
Thanks in advance

deleted
07-08-14, 18:49
Thanks to a generous forum member, we will be back online in the following hours after the DNS update has propagated around the world.

http://www.picons.org

deleted
07-08-14, 19:35
Sadly the donated VPS was not up to the task, a lot of CPU restrictions, but another generous donator has donated enough to keep us going for another month on the old VPS... so should be all up and running in a few hours...

m1nz
31-10-14, 23:27
is the website still down

Larry-G
01-11-14, 00:00
yes its down and will be forever more, you or any one can build theirr own from his git but he wont be hosting them any more.

judge
01-11-14, 00:45

Yes & as pheonix points out, will no longer be built.
However Ocram did upload most of his packs as an easy to install IPK in this thread (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?40962-ocram-picons).
Only a few updates need to be done since then so shouldn't bother most users.
Also, ViX solution to most of those updates hopefully added to the image soon... :)

judge
01-11-14, 00:46

Yes & as pheonix points out, will no longer be built.
However Ocram did upload most of his packs as an easy to install IPK in this thread (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?40962-ocram-picons).
Only a few updates need to be done since then so shouldn't bother most users.
Also, ViX solution to most of those updates hopefully added to the image soon... :)

deleted
01-11-14, 10:30
Since there seems to be some need for the -nopadding shd versions, I'll be uploading a new build from today at https://bitbucket.org/picons/logos/downloads in a couple of hours.

Larry-G
01-11-14, 10:36
Since there seems to be some need for the -nopadding shd versions, I'll be uploading a new build from today at https://bitbucket.org/picons/logos/downloads in a couple of hours.

That's very good news and I'm sure will be highly appreciated by all those who use your picon packs.

So thank you from me (even though I don't actually use picons my self).

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

tvr4ever
05-11-14, 13:29
Ocram thank you very much for the new download location, you had me worried for a while. I find your excellent picons a great addition to my Duo2 and wouldn't want to go without them.

Fred

sataday
05-11-14, 14:08
Ocram thank you very much for the new download location, you had me worried for a while. I find your excellent picons a great addition to my Duo2 and wouldn't want to go without them.

Fred

I'll second that.

Foxylady
19-11-14, 11:59
Good morning,
I have installed the latest picons due to some picons out of date and see the itv.be is not there?
Is there one available?
Also when installing the ipk's, do they store on original place i set in this case the external usb?
Best wishes

PattoLFC
27-11-14, 17:26
Good morning,
I have installed the latest picons due to some picons out of date and see the itv.be is not there?
Is there one available?
Also when installing the ipk's, do they store on original place i set in this case the external usb?
Best wishes

If there is a HDD available it should prompt asking where you want them to be saved.

Rob van der Does
28-11-14, 05:55
When you install picons from the feeds you're being asked where to install them (provided one or more Ext3/4 devices are available).
When installing them manually this is not being asked and they go to flash.