PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo] Display shows "Starting", remote control does not work

cti
10-05-14, 09:28
Hi,

first: as always, great image!

From time to time I can see the following behavior of the box (it
seems to get worse):

- box starts from deep standby, display says "Starting" (or sometimes
"Star ing", "StartinS", ...

- box seems to boot normally, apart from: display text does not change

- when boot process seems to have finished (tv picture appears), remote does not work

- telnet connect is possible, timer seems to work, connection via web
interface works

- a "reboot" command will sometimes lead to a normal reboot-process,
but still no remote control and still the same text on the display,
but mostly the box starts to shutdown, network connection is lost
and that's it (display still shows "Starting")

- only way to get the box working again is to turn it off by power
switch

This behavior appeared with the Zeus image (full flash without restore
of any setting, Helios update done with restore of settings)

Log files attached, any help appreciated.

cti
10-05-14, 10:09
Forgot to mention some error messages in /var/log/messages:

Jan 1 01:00:37 vuduo user.err kernel: [DFP]: bcm7335_i2c_write: Error 1114113
Jan 1 01:00:37 vuduo user.err kernel: [DFP]: bcm7335_max_i2c_write: Error 1114113

(also note the timestamp)

avi68
10-05-14, 13:05
Hi, I've had the same problem as you. However every time I switch the duo off from the rocker switch at the back and turn it back on, this is where I get the problem as you've described. I have to keep turning the duo on and off from the switch a couple of times for it to come back. Sometimes it takes me 3 full reboots to get the box running correctly again.

I get no crash logs however.

mickyblueys
10-05-14, 14:56
This problem is well known and has been mentioned in numerous threads, this is not a Vix issue it is driver related as far as I'm aware, but only on some models of duo.

Search the forum you will see and find possible ways to stop it.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

BubbleBalls
10-05-14, 15:31
This happened for me only when using a USB. No USB, no issue.

Tapatalker

mickyblueys
10-05-14, 15:53
This happened for me only when using a USB. No USB, no issue.

Tapatalker

Quite possibly, as I use usb too, plus I heard if you use swap file through a start up of fstab, this also fixes issue.

cti
11-05-14, 09:47
ok, thanks for your replies, I tried the following:

- replacing the usb stick with my latest and greatest stick doesn't help
- disabling swap completed doesn't help (swap file was on stick)
- no usb -> ten deep stand - boot - cycles without box being stuck :)

Still wondering why the box was running for 2 years without any issues (and with USB-Stick and swap file an stick) ...
And about this time reset (box seems to loose its time, time is 1970-01-01 when starting) - is this normal behaviour?

Peelige
11-05-14, 12:04
I've always had this happen intermittently since I got the box 4 years ago. What I do is keep the remote in hand, power off using the rocker on the back of the box and power on on, keep pressing Ok on the remote to enure the remote light on the LCD is flashing. Sometimes the LCD does not display anything, so I repeatedly power on-off via the rocker switch until the LCD display is correct and the remote light flashing when a button is pressed.

Rob van der Does
11-05-14, 12:23
These are all signs of the deteriorating capacitor. The longer you use the box the more chance of also damaging the voltage regulator.

evesham
12-05-14, 11:04
Mine is also fine with no USB stick, insert it before switch on and problems galore.
I've only had my original Duo box 2 years, surely the capacitor can't be on its way out already?
Its definitely a driver problem for the USB and if I put Vix 3.678 back on, I would bet there would be not one problem with the drivers. (i'll try a backup if I ever get time :rolleyes:)
I can confirm that the use of a swap file through via start up of fstab does not fix the issue

Rob van der Does
12-05-14, 11:52
Well, don't say I didn't warn you!
2 years is exactly the time after which the capacitor tends to break down. And your box has all the symptoms.

evesham
12-05-14, 12:07
Thanks Rob, I thought they would last a lot longer thats all.

mickyblueys
12-05-14, 17:55
Well, don't say I didn't warn you!
2 years is exactly the time after which the capacitor tends to break down. And your box has all the symptoms.

I don't believe it to be that either, as I've had the issue on both my duo's since I bought them brand new, and they are both still well under 2 years old.

BubbleBalls
14-05-14, 23:14
I don't believe it to be that either, as I've had the issue on both my duo's since I bought them brand new, and they are both still well under 2 years old.

Same here. Issues with USB after a few weeks.

Tapatalker

rob76
17-05-14, 06:50
Same annoying issue here.

Was considering getting a Duo 2 as well but not going anywhere near after my other Vu plays up after a couple years. Not exactly cheap as chips these boxes either.