PDA

View Full Version : [Venton Unibox HDx] new image build so soon

beck
30-04-14, 23:51
I AM USING A VENTON HD2 BOX
Hi I havnt visited the forum for a good few weeks' (due to working silly hours)
So tonight I thourght I take a look, as I noticed there hasnt been any zeus updates for a good few weeks? Only to find out there has been yet a another new image realesed again??
Can someone be so kind to fill me in on what's been going on.
Is the zeus image no longer getting updated now? Why is this? Can't seem to find any inffo on why this has hhappened.
Will I have to flash the new image in to my box again? and go through putting all my settings and soft cam EPG and so on back in to the box again? Also would i need to put a boot a new boot loader in? Please any help on this would be appreciated.
Thanks

hilly
30-04-14, 23:58
You can make a setting back up of Zeus but must flash Helios mate.No new boot loader required.zeus was discontinued .

beck
01-05-14, 00:01
I AM USING A VENTON HD2 BOX
Hi I havnt visited the forum for a good few weeks' (due to working silly hours)
So tonight I thourght I take a look, as I noticed there hasnt been any zeus updates for a good few weeks? Only to find out there has been yet a another new image realesed again??
Can someone be so kind to fill me in on what's been going on.
Is the zeus image no longer getting updated now? Why is this? Can't seem to find any inffo on why this has hhappened.
Will I have to flash the new image in to my box again? and go through putting all my settings and soft cam EPG and so on back in to the box again? Also would i need to put a boot a new boot loader in? Please any help on this would be appreciated.
Thanks

beck
01-05-14, 00:05
Hi hilly any idea why Zeus was scrapped mate? Do you know How stable is this new image is mate? I see on hear there has been a few problems been reported

judge
01-05-14, 00:12
Hi hilly any idea why Zeus was scrapped mate? Do you know How stable is this new image is mate? I see on hear there has been a few problems been reported

Not exactly scrapped but as it required a new flash, it was decided that it was best to change image name.
Helios is just as, if not more stable than Zeus. Lots of bug fixes, security fixes and so on.

hilly
01-05-14, 00:12
I'm on 011 and seems fine ATM but I've only got it upstairs box.Something about Zeus unable to be online updated I think,too tech for me .

Andy_Hazza
01-05-14, 00:13
No problems issues with Helios, very stable. :thumbsup:

Larry-G
01-05-14, 00:17
Helios is just as stable as Zeus or any other revisions of ViX has ever been, Releasing Helios was not about image stability it was about Image security.

Zeus was a full overhaul of the OE build environment, this took us or rather Andy almost 4 months to complete. Helios was again to do with the OE (Open Embedded) Core but this time more to fix the Heartbleed bug and a few other things which pretty much affected every part of the image.

We Took the decision to Release Helios as a new image as a full reflash was required after the recent OE merge, and rather than users just ignore our advice not to use the online update (which would break the image) we took that choice out of their hands.

Larry-G
01-05-14, 00:20
p.s you can make a settings backup in Zeus and restore that to Helios, but i personally would just set it up from scratch, but that's just me.

hilly
01-05-14, 00:24
p.s you can make a settings backup in Zeus and restore that to Helios, but i personally would just set it up from scratch, but that's just me.

I'm with you ,I can set up from scratch taking not a lot longer than with a settings backup.

beck
01-05-14, 00:32
Ah rite. So all I need to do is basicly reflash my box from a USB stick and use a back up of my settings from my zues image I am using now?? And all should be fine? Oh and no need to flash a new boot loader into my box as friend has informed me.

beck
01-05-14, 00:43
I think I do the settings with a backup hilly I get a bit nervy doing it from scratch ha

beck
01-05-14, 22:58
Just a quick one, if someone can help please! When I go to flash the new image do I leave my memory stick with the back up of my seetings in the box? if not how do I put the back up of the settings in to the box after reflash? Sorry stupid question I know.

Larry-G
01-05-14, 23:22
no remove all other USB devices while flashing the receiver, you can put the one with your backup back in once it has been flashed.

beck
02-05-14, 00:54
Cheers phenoix will sort it out over the weekend thanks you all :thumbsup:

johnski
02-05-14, 17:31
what will happen to all my recordings? will i lose them?

abu baniaz
02-05-14, 20:24
Image is on flash memory, not on HDD. They will not be touched.

Larry-G
02-05-14, 21:27

Nothing at all, you will only loose them if you choose to initialize the HDD which you dont need to.