PDA

View Full Version : [GiGaBlue QUAD] Multichannel PCM support?

Joe_90
29-04-14, 22:39
Guys, I've seen references in the release notes about multichannel PCM support (over HDMI) in VIX. I'm using a Quad Plus on OpenMIPS image at the moment and I also saw info about multichannel support on their GIT. I have quite a collection of multichannel FLAC audio sourced from my SACD and Audio DVD disks. They play fine in xbmc on Openelec on my ION2 HTPC (after a long gestation period where nothing PCM multichannel worked on linux!).
I've set my OpenMIPS A/V sound settings to multichannel PCM and turned off any downmixing/conversion to ac3/DTS etc. I'm finding if I play any stereo FLACs recorded at 96kHz or 88.2kHz or higher than they are downsampled to 48kHz. My amplifier (Onkyo SR785) is capable of 192kHz multichannel PCM audio. If I play my 5.1 multichannel FLACs they are downsampled to 48kHz also. The indicator on my a/v amplifier indicates 5.1 PCM audio ok, but everything is being mapped to the front speakers by the OpenMIPS media player. The centre channel is distributed equally to left and right front as is the SUB channel. The left rear and right rear channels are mapped at lower volume to the front left and right channels respectively.

I'm assuming it's early days in the multichannel PCM audio environment on these boxes, but can anyone tell me if the VIX image does or will, in the future, support PCM multichannel properly on the Gigablue Quad Plus? I'm just not sure of the capabilities of the MIPS SoC with regard to HDMI audio.

Trial
30-04-14, 07:53
Hi,
I would think this is more a driver thing. Try the original image and if it behaves the same way contact GigaBlue.

ciao

Joe_90
30-04-14, 12:06
Hi,
I would think this is more a driver thing. Try the original image and if it behaves the same way contact GigaBlue.

ciao
I'm on an OpenMIPS image from Gigablue while I await the VIX image for the Quad Plus.
Why I mentioned it at all was that I saw the references to multichannel PCM in VIX changelogs for Zeus and now in the OpenMIPS changelogs. What I wanted to know was whether the actual chipset on these boxes, whether Gigablue or VU+ would actually support multichannel output over HDMI. Has anybody tested it for real? What seems to be be happening in my case is that the multichannel FLAC PCM audio is being handled ok, but then mixed down to two channels.

Joe_90
30-04-14, 12:08
Apols - double post