PDA

View Full Version : [ET5x00] EPG will not not update/download.

bushiee
27-04-14, 17:48
As the title says Epg will not download after new flash setup on my et5000.

After doing a complete flash (with latest boot loader) of either Zues and now the new Helios firmware my box works perfect until it comes to updating the epg.
After doing the initial flash and setting everything up I set up the epg to download Astra 28.2 East channel guide and it downloads fine. The problem is when I try to either manually down load or set and auto download of the epg. It tries to initialize the down load but just freezes at "downloading" and nothing happens.

This also happened on the Zeus firmware.

I have tried numerous different memory sticks, If I format initialize the memory memory stick mount, again it will download the epg but again after the initial download on a fresh memory stick it freezes at "downloading". I have also tried using the Hard Drive and the internal flash but every time the same thing it will not download/update after the initial download.
I had it set to auto update at 4:00am and when I get up for work at 6:00am its still stuck on "downloading" so have left it for a few hours but it just freezes on "downloading"

I am now back on the 2.4 213 firmware which seems to be the only one that works with my box :(

I do like the look of the new firmware so any help sorting this little problem would be most appreciated.

bushiee
03-05-14, 08:29
Nobody ?????

judge
03-05-14, 08:33
What EPG sources are you using?

Rob van der Does
03-05-14, 08:59
For the 5k you may consider using a swap file.

rob588cliff
04-05-14, 09:00
Rob,

Having similar issues, what exactly is a swap file and how do I set it up ??

Thanks.

Rob van der Does
04-05-14, 10:13
A swap file allows some more memory.
Make sure to have an USB stick in the Ext 3/4 format (let the box initialize it), go to ViX --> Swapmanager, create a file and activate it.
In About --> memory you can see the actual status.
Once done, try the EPG download again.

rob588cliff
04-05-14, 11:20
Thanks Rob,

I have been using Cross EPG but have found it to be very inconsistent. One day its fine the next day half the data is missing and sometimes its all missing, do you think the swap file would help?? I've recently changed to XMLTV importer and everything appears to be fine.......is that usual ?

Thanks.

Rob van der Does
04-05-14, 11:43
I can't really say so: it are two completely different systems. Cross is good for Open-TV, the dedicated importer is good for XMLTV import.

rob588cliff
04-05-14, 17:59
Rob,

Can you just explain this bit ion a bit more detail ???

'Make sure to have an USB stick in the Ext 3/4 format (let the box initialize it)'

The rest makes sense......thanks.

Rob van der Does
04-05-14, 18:12
Put an USB stick in.
Go to ViX-mount manager and make sure it's mounted.
Go to Storage devices --> initialise and let the box initialise the stick (make sure to select the correct device, not your HDD, or you'll loose all your recordings (and blame me for it :) )). Then it's in the required format.

rob588cliff
04-05-14, 19:47
Lol ok !!

I've already got a USB stick in use that holds my picons etc. I assume from your reply that if I initialise that stick I will wipe everything off ? Am I best to initialise another USB stick with nothing on it and use this for swap file only ?

Thanks

Rob van der Does
04-05-14, 19:54
Well, for proper use of Picons you also need an Ext3/4 device.

bushiee
05-05-14, 17:21
What EPG sources are you using?

Im using crossepg, which is installed with the flash, And within cross epg Im using openTV, Sky uk opentv (astra on 28.2)

I might give the swap file a try to see if that makes any difference. But never had a problem with previous versions, Seems something in crossepg has change from 2.4 to the new helios, Does anybody know if the crossepg in the newer flashes use more memory than before?
Thanks

Rob van der Does
05-05-14, 17:39
Cross has undergone several updates. It's hard to say if memory usage has been changed, but it is a memory intensive process anyway.

bushiee
05-05-14, 22:14
Would the epg still download the first time if there wasn't enough memory available? Like I said in my original post, After doing the initial flash (Helios) and setting everything up I set up the epg to download Astra 28.2 East channel guide and it downloads fine. The problem is when I try to either manually down load or set and auto download of the epg. It tries to initialize the down load but just freezes at "downloading" and nothing happens, would this be a lack memory?

Rob van der Does
06-05-14, 05:48
Very well possible. Just after rebooting the box the amount of free RAM will be higher. So this is an extra indication a swap-file is required (which is not surprising on a low-mem box).

bushiee
08-05-14, 18:53
For the 5k you may consider using a swap file.

Finally got round to updating and creating a swap file (96mb) and so far so good :thumbsup:
Many thanks Rob. Ill let you know if I come up against anymore problems.
Cheers

Rimmel
09-05-14, 13:16
Bushieeeeeeeee hey dude :-)

bushiee
10-05-14, 22:21
Bushieeeeeeeee hey dude :-)

2 Days and still going strong :)

rob588cliff
17-05-14, 21:41
Rob,

Sorry, what exactly is a external 3/4 device ??

judge
17-05-14, 22:17
Sorry, what exactly is a external 3/4 device ??

Rob was talking about EXT3 or EXT4, linux formats.
If you initialise any drive using the box, it will bein EXT4 format.

rob588cliff
17-05-14, 22:54
Ok thanks !

If I've already got a USB in use for my picons (that was formatted) do I still need to initialise/format again? I don't want to wipe off all the data that's already on the stick.

Thanks.

judge
17-05-14, 22:59
What format is the USB stick currently in?
Blue button -> ViX -> Mount Manager, it will show how the drive is formatted next to Type.

rob588cliff
26-05-14, 22:11
Judge,

I've just looked at my two drives in mount manager, the HDD is ext 4 and the USB is vFat.
Is it the initialisation process that would automatically format the USB into ext3/4 ?
Am I best to remove the picons from the USB, format it to ext3/4 then put the picons etc back on before completing the swap file.
The other option would be to leave the first USB as is and initialize a new USB and then do swap file would this work ?
If you activate a swap file what would happen if the USB drive is then removed ?

Thanks

judge
26-05-14, 22:39
Yes, initialising the USB in the box will wipe it & format it to EXT4, so back up anything you want to keep first.
If you create a swap on USB & the USB is removed, it won't really make any difference to the box. Maybe take a second or 2 trying to find it & mount it, but you can always disable it in swap manager anyway.

abu baniaz
26-05-14, 22:40
Initialising will format it in ext4. You may need to format in fat32 using PC if it doesn't. Use software mentioned in flashing guide

Do picons and swap file after initialising in any order you like.

rob588cliff
27-05-14, 23:30
abu,

I've connected a second USB drive and then initialized it. When I go into mount manager it will not mount and the format type is showing as 'unavailable'. Should I try formatting it on my PC as v/fat ?

Thanks.