PDA

View Full Version : 100mph winds

elsterz
13-11-10, 00:03
Looks like the heavy duty wind has unsettled my configuration and my Duo can no longer get a lock on BADR4
I'm looking for some help with the tuner config menu which is not covered at all in the manual.
what does reset to 0 do?
if i fine tune the positioner back into position how do I save this position ?
I can get a lock on BADR4 / 26e on 11919 H 27500 using the nudges West (dish must have been blown off a little to the East) but how do I save this
its not at all intuitive

Thanks

silverfox0786
13-11-10, 00:19
reset to 0 is a motor funtion on usals if your motor has this option then it basically takes the motor back to 0 degrese the you can try and realign your dish again best thing to do is reset to zero [go to X] the take it 1 deg west and find that sat then your sorted dish is realigned

elsterz
13-11-10, 20:20
Thanks, I am still confused here. How is it possible to nudge the positioner, where the dish has been blown off course by say 0.5 degrees or 1 degree and save the new setting somewhere in the menu?
Surely this would be a great feature where winds or some other local issue requires a nudge
Is the only way to spoof the USALS settings and correct that way?
Seems like either a missing feature or I am unable to find it in the software settings

basilyoung
13-11-10, 20:25
The real answer is to correct the dish ( but most of us don,t )
but to nudge the dish, would mean doing so for all sats
adjusting the USALs settings is the easiest answer
baz

elsterz
13-11-10, 21:32
yeah sure, but surely this feature would make sense to have in the config somewhere, to adjust by a nudge and then resave ?
wouldnt this make sense?
rather than fudge the USALS across the peice....
I have had the engineer out today to correct the .5/.75 degree variance (not bad I thought for 100mph winds here on Tuesday) :)

silverfox0786
13-11-10, 21:35
i think there is a plugin in vix repo that gives fine tuning options for motors but not sure check it and see

elsterz
13-11-10, 21:47
thanks I'll take a look...

Larry-G
13-11-10, 21:56
the feature should already be there as part of the enigma firmware. you just go into the motor settings and manually adjust it 1 click at a time either east or west untill the picture improves, but as already pointed out you would need to do it for every satellite position.
ive always been able to do this on my E1 DM7020

elsterz
13-11-10, 22:02
thanks, yes it is there but I cant see how to save this , i.e where a position is currently say 26E, and i need to nudge to 25.5E and resave how do I do this?
I cant see how to save it, once you come out of the config it bounces back
seems to me the only way is to fuge the USALS

basilyoung
13-11-10, 22:41
USALs will over ride manuel settings, you need to disable USALs,

which brings me back to my orig comments

baz

silverfox0786
13-11-10, 22:52
The real answer is to correct the dish ( but most of us don,t )
but to nudge the dish, would mean doing so for all sats
adjusting the USALs settings is the easiest answer
baz

i see your point baz but me and i think every one should get up on the ladder its the better option

basilyoung
13-11-10, 22:56
agreed silverfox, in the end, thats the point of USALs, set up correctly, there is no need to nudge, ( with exception to sirus )

baz

silverfox0786
13-11-10, 23:02
agreed silverfox, in the end, thats the point of USALs, set up correctly, there is no need to nudge, ( with exception to sirus )

baz

i tell you baz i remember the days when my dad who stil does sends me up the ladder be it ran wind hail or snow to realign his dish and i got to do cause he has an arm setup and the worse thign is he messes up the limits and over moves it making it either stick or the sheer power of the motor pushing the dish out of allignment.

Huevos
14-11-10, 08:58
if i fine tune the positioner back into position how do I save this position ?I'm confused. Everyone is talking about a DiSEqC motor, but your post says positioner. If it is a DiSEqC motor and you want to temporarily fudge the motor settings until you get round to sorting it out all you need to do is change your longitude settings a fraction. This will change the east/west orientation for all satellites across the arc.

elsterz
14-11-10, 19:53
yeah sorry, I should have made this clear, I was referring to the positioner setup in the menu, I am of course using a Dark Motor on USALs/DiSEqC

Larry-G
14-11-10, 19:55
yeah sorry, I should have made this clear, I was referring to the positioner setup in the menu, I am of course using a Dark Motor on USALs/DiSEqC

the problem there is that USALs and DiSEqC are two different things. so your using one or the other not both.

elsterz
14-11-10, 20:14
USALS, sorry I am using USALS

jcl
14-11-10, 21:54
I'm confused. Everyone is talking about a DiSEqC motor, but your post says positioner. If it is a DiSEqC motor and you want to temporarily fudge the motor settings until you get round to sorting it out all you need to do is change your longitude settings a fraction. This will change the east/west orientation for all satellites across the arc.

Hi Guys
my dish has moved with the winds it is situated above the apex of the house to avoid tree problems but being up there it has no protection from the windy weather.
so how does tweaking usals work my longitude is 53.389 if I increase it will this make the motor move more to the west or more to the east.

Thanks
Regards
jcl

basilyoung
15-11-10, 00:41
its your east / west setting that will need modding, not the longitude

baz

Huevos
15-11-10, 14:18
its your east / west setting that will need modding, not the longitude

bazBaz, your east/west setting is your longitude.

so how does tweaking usals work my longitude is 53.389 if I increase it will this make the motor move more to the west or more to the east.53.389 is your latitude, not your longitude.

If you need to nudge the dish west to peak the signal you need to move your longitude west by the same amount to compensate. That means if you are west of 0º longitude your longitude number gets bigger and if you are east of 0º longitude your longitude number gets smaller.

silverfox0786
15-11-10, 14:23
Baz, your east/west setting is your longitude.
53.389 is your latitude, not your longitude.

If you need to nudge the dish west to peak the signal you need to move your longitude west by the same amount to compensate. That means if you are west of 0º longitude your longitude number gets bigger and if you are east of 0º longitude your longitude number gets smaller.

what baz ment was you dont need to change values in your STB yet rather you need to tweek the actual dish thats outside by nudging its longatude

Huevos
15-11-10, 15:26
what baz ment was you dont need to change values in your STB yet rather you need to tweek the actual dish thats outside by nudging its longatudeWell personally I'd always adjust the dish rather than fudge the settings but as a temp measure for someone who has to call someone out it might get them sorted for the mean time.

jcl
15-11-10, 17:04
Sorry Lads
I put the wrong figures in there (just testing you really to see if you noticed lol)
my longitude is 2.083 so if I am understanding correctly increase longitude moves the dish west and decrease moves thy dish east'
I have tried to disable usals and retune sats I can do this and get good signals on 1west 4.8/13/19/28 east but when I tune one of these sats its fine then when I tune the next one I lose the sat I previously tuned so going to try fiddling with usals.

Thanks
Regards
jcl

Huevos
15-11-10, 18:04
53.389, 2.083So you're in the middle of the North Sea.

jcl
15-11-10, 18:17
So you're in the middle of the North Sea.

not according to dishpointer these are my co-ordinates fro my address and post code
Thanks
Regards
jcl

elsterz
15-11-10, 19:33
are you sure about these co-ordinates? looks like middle of some very cold water to me, from dishpointer and google maps...

Conaxthewarrior
15-11-10, 20:47
Blow the man down!!! Yes there was a very strong wind over the weekend and I too had my antenna moved out of position vertically and horizontally. The parabol was blown back a little clockwise (as seen from the rear) and it is bolted to a "half swastika" frame (2 pipes with 2 right angled bends) and this had moved off of it's vertical line. So 1st the vertical adjustment - I used a digital protractor accurate to 0.5 degrees and managed to reposition the frame at 89,5 degrees, best is 90 so could'nt do better there.
After, I set the parabol to it's zero position by using the "go to zero" facility of my other reciever. My VU+ Duo dos'nt have this control (at least I hav'nt found it) , motor steering is fully automatic (wish it was'nt). The parabol was then pushed manually to dead south where the 13 east Hotbird satellite is, here in east jutland, Denmark. I strapped a digital compass to the parabol arm to find South exactly. Re-connecting the VU+ Duo, it found all 22 satellites without problems.
I get my latitude and longitude from google earth, it's quite precise. Just type in your location and read off the co-ordinates , they change when the mouse pointer moves. Another site is http://www.dishpointer.com
My other reciever accepts co-ordinates as degrees and decimals eg 5 deg 30 minutes W would be entered as 5.5 W, this is somtimes confusing as others like them in degress amd minutes seperatly.
hope some of this will be found useful.

Huevos
15-11-10, 20:51
are you sure about these co-ordinates? looks like middle of some very cold water to me, from dishpointer and google maps...Probably is -2.083º, not 2.083º.

Huevos
15-11-10, 20:58
I strapped a digital compass to the parabol arm to find South exactlyI'd never rely on a compass to find south with any accuracy.
If Hotbird is your southern satellite you just enter your co-ordinates in the receiver and then send the dish to Hotbird. Then do your alignment. It will be much more accurate than any compass will get it.

jcl
15-11-10, 21:01
Probably is -2.083º, not 2.083º.

002.083 53.398 (not 389)

Regards
jcl

Larry-G
15-11-10, 21:24
i know i'm going off topic here but i can only think your all having troubles with your dishes moving due to poorly installed dishes in the first place.
i installed my current dish 8 years ago and it is still rock steady and has never moved, under any strength storm.
this dish was mounted with the same x12 mill steel rawl bolts that i use to mount my firearms cabinets.

i have to think if the job were done properly in the first place you would not be in this position now.

elsterz
15-11-10, 21:58
for me its nothing about a bad install, I have custom welded brackets and extra brace bars - the 100mph winds and my exposed location WHACKED it out by 1/2 a degree - not bad really.
i cant vouch for other peoples installs of course :)