PDA

View Full Version : ABM DVB-T support

andyblac
22-04-14, 10:41
Guy's,

i am looking for a small number of users that can help us test Terrestrial scanning support in ABM, we need a wide area range in UK and other countries.

if you think you would like to help us out, please reply to this thread, and please only reply if you meet the following criteria

1) Have OpenViX Helios 003 running on your STB.
2) Have a terrestrial tuner attached to your STB (internal or USB)
3) have or willing to install Skype to help with debugging (only if a chat session is needed)
4) Have the time to help debug.

anyone with terrestrial technical knowledge would greatly be appreciated, but is not necessary for the beta testing.

info i need from you when replying

1) Manufacture and model of Box
2) type of tuner and make and model of tuner
3) Country and area in country

andy.

chaser
22-04-14, 12:26
No real technical knowledge of terrestrial systems, but happy to help with any testing. Available after 7.00pm most evenings.

1. VU+ Ultimo
2. Internal DVB-C/T tuner
3. UK Aberdeen. Durris Transmitter

diceman01
22-04-14, 12:36
Hi Andy I have the following if this helps:
VU+ Uno
Internal Twin DVB-S Tuner
Nova-T USB DVB-T Tuner
Feel free to post or PM me with any instructions if I can help out in any way.

tappari
22-04-14, 12:44
Vu+ Ultimo 3x ssh108 internal 1x Sundtek MediaTV Digital Home III usb
VU+ Duo2 2x ssh108 internal 2x Sundtek MediaTV Digital Home III usb
Country Finland
Helsinki Capital area

Joe_90
22-04-14, 13:24
Andy,
As soon as a build for the GB Quad Plus (2x DVB-T tuners) is available I will be able to help. In Ireland, with reception from two different Saorview transmitters - south Dublin, north Wicklow. Extensive experience with DVB-T including ability to dump EIT stream data.

andyblac
22-04-14, 14:47
ok guy's,

what i need for none UK is your provider info if you can find it, ie the name and the main transponder frequency.

i have just fixed a small issue, so you will need to update to 006 once it is built, for uk once 004 is online i will post a test provider xml

andyblac
22-04-14, 14:48
Andy,
As soon as a build for the GB Quad Plus (2x DVB-T tuners) is available I will be able to help. In Ireland, with reception from two different Saorview transmitters - south Dublin, north Wicklow. Extensive experience with DVB-T including ability to dump EIT stream data.
please PM your skype ID.

andyblac
24-04-14, 13:17
sorry, been busy, for those of you in UK please try attached file, it will only scan SD channels, we are still working on HD.

please and post your results.

chaser
24-04-14, 19:55
Where does this file need to be saved to?

Peterj
24-04-14, 20:07
/usr/lib/enigma2/python/plugins/systemplugins/autobouqetsmaker/providers

chaser
24-04-14, 20:42
Ok. I've unpacked and copied the .xml file to the folder above and tried a scan, but get a No area found error. I've configured providers with Freeview (UK): yes. All sub options are also set to yes. I'll post up a log shortly.

Oddly, a complete manual scan fails to find any channels. It seems to only check channel 41 for some reason. If I set the manual scan to scan a single transponder, and set the channel to 23, then it finds some channels.

Helios build 7 btw.

Edit: Hmmm. Can't find the log file. Any ideas?

andyblac
25-04-14, 01:09
Ok. I've unpacked and copied the .xml file to the folder above and tried a scan, but get a No area found error. I've configured providers with Freeview (UK): yes. All sub options are also set to yes. I'll post up a log shortly.

Oddly, a complete manual scan fails to find any channels. It seems to only check channel 41 for some reason. If I set the manual scan to scan a single transponder, and set the channel to 23, then it finds some channels.

Helios build 7 btw.

Edit: Hmmm. Can't find the log file. Any ideas?
make sure you have updated to 008, then re-setup FreeView (UK)

chaser
25-04-14, 07:09
Updated to build 8 and updated freeview area to Durris. All other freeview (uk) options set to yes.
Now I get a timeout for tuner lock error. Logs have repeated tuning and failed errors.

micscave
25-04-14, 09:39
Updated to build 8 and updated freeview area to Durris. All other freeview (uk) options set to yes.
Now I get a timeout for tuner lock error. Logs have repeated tuning and failed errors.

This is what I get too, set to Sutton Coldfield area.

andyblac
25-04-14, 10:57

guy's make sure you are using the new provider, you can remove the old one, you should now be able to set areas. if you still get issues.

tune to BBC1, and give me your debug logs.

looking for this info.

bandwidth: 8000000
code_rate_lp: 0
code_rate_hp: 1
constellation: 2
transmission_mode: 1
guard_interval: 0
hierarchy_information: 0
inversion: 0
system: 0
frequency: 770000000

also need your tranmitter name.

chaser
25-04-14, 18:43
guy's make sure you are using the new provider, you can remove the old one, you should now be able to set areas. if you still get issues.

tune to BBC1, and give me your debug logs.

looking for this info.

frequency: 770000000

also need your tranmitter name.
Not sure what you mean when asking us to use the new provider and remove the old one?

I've updated Helios to build 10 and copied the provider xml from this thread to /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/AutoBouquetsMaker/providers

Is that what you want us to do?

Having done that, I'm still getting the same 'timeout for tuner lock' error. As mentioned previously, I'm on the Durris transmitter, and have set this up in the AutoBouquetMaker config screen. All other Freeview (UK) setting options are still set to yes.

I'm not finding any channels, so I'm not able to tune to BBC1 to get you the debug logs.

andyblac
25-04-14, 19:32
Not sure what you mean when asking us to use the new provider and remove the old one?

I've updated Helios to build 10 and copied the provider xml from this thread to /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/AutoBouquetsMaker/providers

Is that what you want us to do?

Having done that, I'm still getting the same 'timeout for tuner lock' error. As mentioned previously, I'm on the Durris transmitter, and have set this up in the AutoBouquetMaker config screen. All other Freeview (UK) setting options are still set to yes.

I'm not finding any channels, so I'm not able to tune to BBC1 to get you the debug logs.

no, the version in helios it the one you need to use.

if after try that, do a full scan, then tune to bbc1 and give your debug log.

chaser
25-04-14, 20:41
no, the version in helios it the one you need to use.

if after try that, do a full scan, then tune to bbc1 and give your debug log.

ok. now using the version in helios. same problem with timeout for tuner lock.

for some reason I can't do a full (manual/complete) scan. when i try a full scan it only appears to scan channel 47???

I can manually scan individual channels, and have scanned channel 28 which has BBC1.

Debug log attached.

andyblac
25-04-14, 20:47
ok. now using the version in helios. same problem with timeout for tuner lock.

for some reason I can't do a full (manual/complete) scan. when i try a full scan it only appears to scan channel 47???

I can manually scan individual channels, and have scanned channel 28 which has BBC1.

Debug log attached.

what is your transmitter name ?, did you choose in abm settings ?

chaser
25-04-14, 20:49
It's Durris, and yes I have it selected in abm settings.

andyblac
25-04-14, 20:56
It's Durris, and yes I have it selected in abm settings.
please try this.

chaser
25-04-14, 21:04
please try this.that worked. you want a debug log again?

andyblac
25-04-14, 22:23
that worked. you want a debug log again?
ABM scanned ok ?, created bouquets ?

chaser
25-04-14, 22:31
ABM scanned ok ?, created bouquets ?

Yes. ABM found 73 TV channels and 47 radio stations in less than 1 min. Created 6 new bouquets, with channels correctly ordered (from what I can tell).

micscave
25-04-14, 22:57
Andy
This is still not working for me, I'm still getting "timeout for tuner lock" after ABM scans. The area is set to Sutton Coldfield. I have the area in tuner settings set to Europe, Middle East, Africa DVB-T as Sutton Coldfield isn't listed.

andyblac
26-04-14, 11:19
Andy
This is still not working for me, I'm still getting "timeout for tuner lock" after ABM scans. The area is set to Sutton Coldfield. I have the area in tuner settings set to Europe, Middle East, Africa DVB-T as Sutton Coldfield isn't listed.

again do as the above user, did tune to bbc 1, look in debug send the needed info. i'll update ABM xml.

micscave
26-04-14, 12:09
again do as the above user, did tune to bbc 1, look in debug send the needed info. i'll update ABM xml.

Hi Andy
I've done as suggested and attached a debug log.

andyblac
26-04-14, 12:14
Hi Andy
I've done as suggested and attached a debug log.

you do not seem to be on build 0010 ? i can't find needed info in that log.

micscave
26-04-14, 12:17
Hi Andy
I'm on build 010 with no further updates showing?

andyblac
26-04-14, 12:19
Hi Andy
I'm on build 010 with no further updates showing?

hmmm looking for info like this

code_rate_lp: 5
frequency: 529999998

are you sure you tune to BBC1 using DVB-T tuner ?

andyblac
26-04-14, 12:26
Andy
btw that setting has nothing to with ABM, you need to set your transmitter in ABM (FreeView)

micscave
26-04-14, 12:28
hmmm looking for info like this

frequency: 529999998

are you sure you tune to BBC1 using DVB-T tuner ?

Yes I'm sure, does it make a difference that I'm using USB tuner rather than a built in one?

Also there is no option to scan Sutton Coldfield in the tuner setup menu so I set it to Europe, Middle East, Africa DVB-T, does that make a difference?

I've got it on DVB-T BBC1 right now and I'll do another ABM scan and upload the debug log again.

Edit: debug log added.

andyblac
26-04-14, 13:03

Yes I'm sure, does it make a difference that I'm using USB tuner rather than a built in one?

Also there is no option to scan Sutton Coldfield in the tuner setup menu so I set it to Europe, Middle East, Africa DVB-T, does that make a difference?

I've got it on DVB-T BBC1 right now and I'll do another ABM scan and upload the debug log again.

Edit: debug log added.

thats better, please try this.

micscave
26-04-14, 13:36
thats better, please try this.

Hi Andy
I tried this & whilst I didn't get "timeout for tuner lock" I did get a message after the scan "cannot read data".

Debug log attached:

micscave
26-04-14, 13:45
Andy
Just tried again and the debug log has more info I think, please see attached.

andyblac
26-04-14, 15:05
Andy
Just tried again and the debug log has more info I think, please see attached.

did you say your using USB stick, is it DVB-T or T2 ? i only have T2 stick

micscave
26-04-14, 15:46
It's DVB-T / Hauppage Nova-T Stick.

micscave
30-04-14, 20:19
did you say your using USB stick, is it DVB-T or T2 ? i only have T2 stick

It's DVB-T / Hauppage Nova-T Stick. Does this mean it won't work for me?

Joe_90
30-04-14, 21:09
Andy, this is more of a theoretical question rather than any specific issue as I can't yet test a VIX image due to me having one of these new GB Quad Plus boxes! I am using the OpenMIPS image and downloaded the 26/04/2014 version which included the Freeview DVB-T ABM provider. It's of no specific use to me as I can't receive Freeview reliably from my location in Co. Wicklow in Ireland. However, I have offered my assistance in testing a Saorview version should one become available. My question concerns how you select the appropriate multiplexes to form the Freeview bouquets. I can see from the Freeview xml file in the providers folder of ABM that you have a list of the primary transmitters and their associated frequencies. There seems to be one entry per transmitter and I assume this is probably the multiplex which carries the BBC1 service? I'm further assuming that once the user selects the local transmitter from the list you tune to that frequency and attempt to read the PAT, NIT etc to obtain the SIDs for the carried services on that multiplex. There would also be further NIT entries for other multiplexes, together with a list of their frequencies - am I still on track here? What I'm wondering is how you code into ABM the necessary logic to select the appropriate frequencies for the other multiplexes? There could be 8 or 9 or more multiplexes to tune in order to receive the full range of channels. Unless you know the frequency of every multiplex and how well it is received at the user's location it is difficult to select the most appropriate one. Are the Freeview PATs and NITs coded in such a way that you can select the frequencies with a fair degree of success? Or do you have a mega table within the ABM application which does this? I'd be interested to know.
The reason I ask is that from my analysis of my local Saorview multiplexes (there are only two to scan to receive all channels) I can see a list of frequencies in the NIT PID (Other Network) which covers most of the other main transmitters in the Saorview network, but 1) doesn't indicate which servies are available on which frequency and 2) omits the frequency of the second multiplex in my locality! It would be impossible to work out programatically what the second multiplex frequency would be. The only way to do this would be to have a table of frequencies somewhere. I don't see those extra frequencies in your Frevview xml file. So the question is - how is it done, please:confused:

micscave
29-05-14, 18:41
I still can't get this to work, I still get "timeout for tuner lock error" when I scan.
Any suggestions on what might be the problem?

As said above, I'm using DVB-T / Hauppauge Nova-T Stick.
Vu+ Ultimo / Apollo / 001

Many thanks.

DaMacFunkin
29-05-14, 19:01
Are you sure your stick is FULLY supported, I have a hauppauge nova-t stick and the model number I have is only supported under certain revisions, the problem you are describing matches my problem of trying to get my stick to work under many Linux based program's over the years, I always found it would install because it was seemingly the correct model, but it would never scan because it was a wierd revision.

micscave
29-05-14, 19:23
Yes it is supported, it does scan all the channels, it's just that ABM fails to create the Freeview part of the bouquet

andyblac
30-05-14, 00:42
Yes it is supported, it does scan all the channels, it's just that ABM fails to create the Freeview part of the bouquet

tune to BBC 1 and post your e2 debug log with the area name in the provider your using.

micscave
30-05-14, 11:07
Hi Andy
Here you go, I'm using Sutton Coldfield. I have 2 logs both attached.

andyblac
30-05-14, 17:34
Hi Andy
Here you go, I'm using Sutton Coldfield. I have 2 logs both attached.

ok please try this updated provider.

micscave
30-05-14, 20:47
ok please try this updated provider.

Hi Andy
I tried this & whilst I didn't get "timeout for tuner lock" I did get a message after the scan "cannot read data".

Debug log attached:

Joe_90
30-05-14, 21:52
Andy, if I wanted to try this in the Saorview environment, what would I need to modify? Obviously the tuning frequency in the xml file for my local transmitter. But what info are you looking for after that? Let me know - SID, VPID ???

andyblac
30-05-14, 23:35
Hi Andy

Debug log attached:

USB tuner ?, ABM has nit been tested with USB devices i'l try to do some tests.

andyblac
30-05-14, 23:37
Andy, if I wanted to try this in the Saorview environment, what would I need to modify? Obviously the tuning frequency in the xml file for my local transmitter. But what info are you looking for after that? Let me know - SID, VPID ???
info tune to a regional channel BBC 1 if poss and give me e2 debug log, i'll add to FreeView xml

micscave
30-05-14, 23:47
USB tuner ?, ABM has nit been tested with USB devices i'l try to do some tests.
Thanks Andy, I appreciate it.

Joe_90
31-05-14, 00:28
info tune to a regional channel BBC 1 if poss and give me e2 debug log, i'll add to FreeView xml

- erm Saorview is the Irish terrestrial service, so no BBC, unfortunately. If you let me know what info you need from stream I can send it.

mcquaim
31-05-14, 00:41
- erm Saorview is the Irish terrestrial service, so no BBC, unfortunately. If you let me know what info you need from stream I can send it.

Turn on your debug logs and then tune to RTE 1 for instance. You will see in the debug log all the required XML params for the stream.

From this you can create your own Saorview XML..

I tried this myself however while it did manage to scan 3 channels I wasnt able to watch them, they threw the tune failed error!

You might fair better perhaps...

Joe_90
31-05-14, 11:19
Turn on your debug logs and then tune to RTE 1 for instance. You will see in the debug log all the required XML params for the stream.

From this you can create your own Saorview XML..

I tried this myself however while it did manage to scan 3 channels I wasnt able to watch them, they threw the tune failed error!

You might fair better perhaps...

This was my intention all right - to create the relevant XML file for my local Saorview. I have done this before in the terrestrial.xml file to reduce the unnecessary scanning of the entire UHF band, but this only helps in a manual DVB-T scan. There is some additional information needed beyond the tuning parameters to enable the ABM script and code to build a bouquet for the Irish TV/Radio service, but I'm not sure what that is - ONID, TSID etc.??? The scale of the problem is certainly much less than Freeview as there are only 8 live TV services and 10 radio services in two multiplexes, but as far as I can see, you need two frequency entries in a table for each geographical group of transmitters as you cannot work out the frequencies from the stream data. I'll spend some time later today in reviewing the scripts and table in the ABM folder and see if I can work out what it's doing.

mcquaim
31-05-14, 11:37
There is some additional information needed beyond the tuning parameters to enable the ABM script and code to build a bouquet for the Irish TV/Radio service, but I'm not sure what that is - ONID, TSID etc.???

I'm not sure what those are TBH, you seem to have a good understanding of this stuff, beyond mine anyway..

All I got when I tuned to RTE 1 was this:

use pmtpid 07d1 for service_id 0835
eventNewProgramInfo 0 0
have 1 video stream(s) (0835), and 2 audio stream(s) (0899, 08a3), and the pcr pid is 1ffe, and the text pid is 08fd
decoder state: play, vpid=2101, apid=2201
code_rate_hp: 5
constellation: 3
transmission_mode: 2
guard_interval: 4
hierarchy_information: 4
inversion: 2
frequency: 657999998
code_rate_hp: 5
constellation: 3
transmission_mode: 2
guard_interval: 4
hierarchy_information: 4
frequency: 657999998

I then created this Saorview XML and then ran a scan.. It only picked up RTE1, RTE 1+1 and RTE Jnr but I got tune failed on all 3..

<provider>
<name>SaorView</name>
<streamtype>dvbt</streamtype>
<protocol>lcn</protocol>
<namespace>0xeeee0000</namespace>
<dvbtconfigs>
<configuration key="monaghan" frequency="657999998" inversion="2" modulation="4" system="0" bandwidth="8000000" code_rate_hp="5" code_rate_lp="5" transmission_mode="2" guard_interval="4" hierarchy="4">Monaghan</configuration>
</dvbtconfigs>
<sections>
<section number="1">SaorView</section>
</sections>
<servicehacks>
<![CDATA[
]]>
</servicehacks>
</provider>

Best of luck with this, I'd be interested in your findings.. I have a PCTV 290e connected to a Duo and for some unknown reason I keep loosing my channels, think ABM scan is knocking something out.

If I had this working then I wouldn't need t worry about it..

Joe_90
31-05-14, 16:17
@mcquaim - thanks for your post. I was trying to edit my local transmitter (Greystones, Co. Wicklow) into the GB Freeview xml file, but I kept getting a tune fail for some reason, even though all the parameters were correct as far as I could see. Then I tried your method of creating a separate xml file for Saorview and had some limited success. Similar to you I got RTE1, RTE1+1 and RTE Junior in a separate bouquet, but they wouldn't tune afterwards. The reason for this is that the ABM plug-in uses your initial frequency information to tune in the multiplex (terrestrial equivalent to transponder on satellite) and then stores the services it finds on that multiplex. Unfortunately 2RN (the transmission network managers for the RTE network), have an erroneous fixed piece of information stored in the NIT (sorry about this!) "CentreFrequency =198500 kHz" and ABM seems to use this and stores it as part of the tuning information in lamedb. This frequency is wrong and results in the box being unable to tune the multiplex subsequently. The only way to recover it is to store the multiplex using a manual scan.
The reason why you are only getting RTE1, RTE1+1 and RTE Junior on the ABM scan is that you are only providing tuning information for one multiplex. You would need to create a second xml file for the second multiplex, where the frequency is "682000000". I'm guessing that your transmitter is Cairn Hill (Monaghan being your geographic location) and the multiplexfrequencies there are 658000000 and 682000000.

All this is rather moot, though, as it won't result in a successful scan using ABM. I have offered to help andyblac, but I'm still constrained by the non-availability of a ViX image for my Gigablue Quad Plus. I'm actually using the OpenATV 4.1 image, which has ABM installed, but I'm not sure if it's the latest and greatest version.

Info for @andyblac:

Saorview ONID is 0x2174, NetwID is 0x3201, TSID for RTENL1 is 0x03E9 and TSID for RTENL2 is 0x03EA - those are the only two multiplexes.

There is no BAT in the Saorview SI entries. The SI data is the same across the entire network as far as I know. Frequency lists contained in the SI data are incomplete and possibly erroneous.
As far as I can make out the only strategy which would work is to use two frequency settings from each Saorview transmitter contained in the xml file and not try to automate the frequency finding from the NIT. And as there is no BAT, you would need just a fixed bouquet and no need of separate SD and HD listings for Saorview.

Joe_90
31-05-14, 16:51
Here's an xml file dump (in txt format) of a Saorview NIT, showing the issues with frequency. Just missed the 30 minute deadline for editing my original post :whistle:

Peterj
31-05-14, 17:08
"CentreFrequency =198500 kHz" and ABM seems to use this and stores it as part of the tuning information in lamedb. This frequency is wrong and results in the box being unable to tune the multiplex subsequently. The only way to recover it is to store the multiplex using a manual scan.

Correct. ABM uses the Centrefrequency from descriptor 5A. Do you know a way we can pick the correct alternative frequency from descriptor 62? How do we know we must choose one of these (and which one), instead the CentreFrequency?

Joe_90
31-05-14, 17:48
Correct. ABM uses the Centrefrequency from descriptor 5A. Do you know a way we can pick the correct alternative frequency from descriptor 62? How do we know we must choose one of these (and which one), instead the CentreFrequency?

Thanks @Peterj - see my post #39 where I pondered how ABM was going to deal with the absence (or poor quality) of data in the Saorview SI streams!

Are you saying that the Freeview CentreFrequency data in descriptor 5A is correct for each different transmitter in the UK? This would mean that there would be unique coded data being relayed to each transmitter, but this may be the case. It's my understanding that in the Saorview network all the SI data is essentially the same and relayed to each transmitter by microwave link or whatever.

The alternative frequencies in descriptor 62 are just a list of some of the channels in use, are wrong with regard to the VHF frequencies and are missing some UHF frequencies. Again, I believe all transmitters share the exact same set of data.

As regards a solution, I can only see that some sort of list system could be used. For example, my nearest transmitter uses 722 MHz and 754 Mhz for the two multiplexes and any solution would have to use just those two frequencies for storage in lamedb and ignore descriptors 5A and 62. There are xml files earlier in this thread and others which could be used to form the basis of such a list system, but it would be an on-going exercise to keep updated. As the Saorview system is relatively new and limited in channels and there is no regionalisation there was probably no need for BAT or for more fine-grained frequency lists in the SI data. Maybe the data quality will get better as the system evolves, but for the moment there is one full multiplex and room for about 5 or 6 more TV channels in the second multiplex. The two primary channels RTE One and RTE Two are in HD only and the remainder are SD. There is no simulcasting of SD and HD required as Saorview kit is required to support HD (MPEG4 over DVB-T). No word on deployment of DVB-T2 but new kit would support this and be backward compliant to DVB-T. The advantage of Saorview over Freeview is that all the transmission parameters are the same for each transmitter, only the frequencies change.

If a list system is a possibility I could look at hacking some of the existing Saorview xml files, but it would be good to understand how ABM works at some level of pseudocode so that the relevant info could be supplied. I'm curious to know how the frequency selection is handled for the Freeview network, though? There could be lots of relay stations transmitting to isolated areas so how do you select the appropriate frequencies to scan? It's a much simpler process for satellite as reception quality is similar for all, whereas in the terrestrial environment it's tricky.

Peterj
01-06-14, 08:59
@fat-tony.
I would like to analyse your dvb-t streams.
Can you do a full scan, so you will have correct freq. in your lamedb and post the lamedb.
Also make a NIT dump for a couple of different freq.
You need dvbsnoop.

opkg install dvbsnoop
Tune to a valid freq. (channel) and run dvbsnoop.

dvbsnoop -s sec -tn -timeout 10000 -b -f 0x40 -n 100 0x10 > /tmp/nit.bin
post me for each freq. the nit.bin (rename it to e.g. 722.bin)

Joe_90
01-06-14, 11:14
@fat-tony.
I would like to analyse your dvb-t streams.
Can you do a full scan, so you will have correct freq. in your lamedb and post the lamedb.
Also make a NIT dump for a couple of different freq.
You need dvbsnoop.

opkg install dvbsnoop
Tune to a valid freq. (channel) and run dvbsnoop.

dvbsnoop -s sec -tn -timeout 10000 -b -f 0x40 -n 100 0x10 > /tmp/nit.bin
post me for each freq. the nit.bin (rename it to e.g. 722.bin)

Ok here you go! By the way, I had to terminate the dvbsnoop command after several minutes when it seemed like it wasn't going to finish by itself. I guess the count of whatever packets you were looking for didn't make it to 100?

jsnyxx
01-06-14, 11:26
Ok here you go! By the way, I had to terminate the dvbsnoop command after several minutes when it seemed like it wasn't going to finish by itself. I guess the count of whatever packets you were looking for didn't make it to 100?

Hi, I've also run the same commands on my VU+ solo2 box with latest Apollo image (just in case there is a difference between my and fat tony's Gigaplus quad box). I am also located in Greystones, Co. Wicklow by the way!

Joe_90
01-06-14, 13:13
@Peterj - I'm around for about one more hour and then will be away until late Monday evening, so if you want more snoops, please ask!

Peterj
01-06-14, 15:12
@fat-tony. ABM is reading NIT content from a 'home channel', which contains all information of all channels of a provider. The purpose of ABM is to detect changes and process it in the lamedb to keep data up to date. This is working for DVB-s and DVB-c very well. For DVB-t it is different, as you earlier described. We have to deal with repeaters working on a different frequency.
Also it shows that also frequency of a repeaters is not show in NIT either.
The examples you posted shows also that 1 stream (freq) also as information in the NIT of that specific stream and not information of the other streams of that provider.
It is impossible to make 1 xml for 1 dvb-t provider. One must make an xml for each repeater and put each available frequency of that repeater in the xml. The question now is, what is extra value of ABM to try read NIT for changes, when there is only information available for that specific stream.

Here the analysis of the 2 NIT dump you posted. (the dumps mcquaim posted are the same)
As you can see only info for 1 stream in NIT.
Also freq. 754000000 you tuned into isn't mentioned in NIT.

Network id : 3201 12801
Section : 0
Network name : RTENL 1
Stream id : 03e9
DVB-T.
Frequency : 198500000
Priority : 1 LP
Time slicing ind. : 1
MPE-FEC indicator : 1
Constellation : 10 RS204/188
Hierarchy inform. : 000
Code-rate HP stream: 001 2/3
Code-rate LP stream: 001 2/3
Guard-interval : 00 1/32
Transmission mode : 01 8k
Other freq. flag : 1
Centre Frequency : 177500000
Centre Frequency : 184500000
Centre Frequency : 191500000
Centre Frequency : 198500000
Centre Frequency : 205500000
Centre Frequency : 474000000
Centre Frequency : 482000000
Centre Frequency : 514000000
Centre Frequency : 530000000
Centre Frequency : 546000000
Centre Frequency : 626000000
Centre Frequency : 666000000
Centre Frequency : 674000000
Centre Frequency : 682000000
Centre Frequency : 690000000
Centre Frequency : 706000000
Centre Frequency : 722000000
Centre Frequency : 730000000
Centre Frequency : 738000000
Centre Frequency : 746000000

All sections read.

Network id : 3201 12801
Section : 0
Network name : RTENL 2
Stream id : 03ea
DVB-T.
Frequency : 198500000
Priority : 1 LP
Time slicing ind. : 1
MPE-FEC indicator : 1
Constellation : 10 RS204/188
Hierarchy inform. : 000
Code-rate HP stream: 001 2/3
Code-rate LP stream: 001 2/3
Guard-interval : 00 1/32
Transmission mode : 01 8k
Other freq. flag : 1
Centre Frequency : 177500000
Centre Frequency : 184500000
Centre Frequency : 191500000
Centre Frequency : 198500000
Centre Frequency : 205500000
Centre Frequency : 474000000
Centre Frequency : 482000000
Centre Frequency : 514000000
Centre Frequency : 530000000
Centre Frequency : 546000000
Centre Frequency : 626000000
Centre Frequency : 666000000
Centre Frequency : 674000000
Centre Frequency : 682000000
Centre Frequency : 690000000
Centre Frequency : 706000000
Centre Frequency : 722000000
Centre Frequency : 730000000
Centre Frequency : 738000000
Centre Frequency : 746000000

All sections read.

example of specific xml:

<provider>
<name>Saorview</name>
<streamtype>dvbt</streamtype>
<protocol>lcn</protocol>
<namespace>0xeeee0000</namespace>
<dvbtconfigs>
<configuration key="RTENL1" frequency="722000000" inversion="0" modulation="4" system="1" bandwidth="8000000" code_rate_hp="5" code_rate_lp="5" transmission_mode="6" guard_interval="5" hierarchy="4">Saorview RTENL1</configuration>
<configuration key="RTENL2" frequency="754000000" inversion="0" modulation="4" system="1" bandwidth="8000000" code_rate_hp="5" code_rate_lp="5" transmission_mode="6" guard_interval="5" hierarchy="4">Saorview RTENL2</configuration>
</dvbtconfigs>
<sections>
</sections>
<servicehacks>
<![CDATA[
]]>
</servicehacks>
</provider>

mcquaim
01-06-14, 16:03
@Peterj

You reckon that XML should work and I shouldn't get tune failed?

The only difference to mine is the parameter system being 1 instead of 0 (apart from my freq being different..)

Peterj
01-06-14, 19:05
@Peterj

You reckon that XML should work and I shouldn't get tune failed?

The only difference to mine is the parameter system being 1 instead of 0 (apart from my freq being different..)

Use the values in your log file, when you have tuned to that frequency.
Search in the log file for e.g. 'constellation' and you will find the values.
example:

frequency: 649999995

Use in this case for frequency: 650000000

mcquaim
01-06-14, 19:41
Use the values in your log file, when you have tuned to that frequency.
Search in the log file for e.g. 'constellation' and you will find the values.
example:

frequency: 649999995

Use in this case for frequency: 650000000

Cheers Peter, I will try that tomorrow! I did all that except for rounding up the frequency so I will see if that works..

Thanks a mill :thumbsup:

jsnyxx
02-06-14, 16:28
Just tried Peter's XML above and I am getting the Tuner lock error message...

Peterj
02-06-14, 16:59
Do a full tuner rescan again to get working channel.
Restart enigma2 and tune to a dvb-t channel.
Pls post logfile after that.

Joe_90
02-06-14, 23:17
Cheers Peter, I will try that tomorrow! I did all that except for rounding up the frequency so I will see if that works..

Thanks a mill :thumbsup:
@mcquaim - your two frequencies are 682000000 (UHF Ch 47) and 654000000 (UHF Ch 44) for Saorview Mux 1 and Mux 2 respectively from Claremont Carn. The fact that the tuner is reporting frequency of 653999999 is probably some artefact of how the tuner is locking on to the signal. The "rounded up" values are the correct ones as listed by RTENL (or 2RN as they are now known).

Joe_90
02-06-14, 23:22

@jsnyxx - I don't see how this will work in any case unless the Python code in ABM is modified to use the xml frequencies instead of the frequency found in the NIT. The NIT frequency is wrong and @Peterj said that ABM uses that frequency to store in lamedb.

Joe_90
02-06-14, 23:37
@Peterj - thanks for posting the analysis of the NIT. It confirms the information I posted earlier in the thread in that the frequency data is incomplete and is wrong in some cases. There is a service list of all the streams in the multiplex and ABM is extracting those OK. It's just that the frequency information is being invalidated by the erroneous data contained in the NIT.
Are you suggesting that ABM will be modified to work with the data in the Saorview NIT or is it a non-runner? Does it work ok for the UK Freeview network? Is this because there is a BAT in the Freeview stream data and that the NIT is, in fact unique and correct for each transmitter?

The satellite info is much more reliable because there is BAT data for SKY and Freesat with correct pointers to the transponders containing the channels, plus the fact that there are no local signal reception differences as everyone can receive the same transponders reliably all over the UK and Ireland (assuming adequate dish is used). The terrestrial environment is much more complex in that there are localised relay stations as well as the main transmitters.

andyblac
03-06-14, 01:04
@Peterj - thanks for posting the analysis of the NIT. It confirms the information I posted earlier in the thread in that the frequency data is incomplete and is wrong in some cases. There is a service list of all the streams in the multiplex and ABM is extracting those OK. It's just that the frequency information is being invalidated by the erroneous data contained in the NIT.
Are you suggesting that ABM will be modified to work with the data in the Saorview NIT or is it a non-runner? Does it work ok for the UK Freeview network? Is this because there is a BAT in the Freeview stream data and that the NIT is, in fact unique and correct for each transmitter?

The satellite info is much more reliable because there is BAT data for SKY and Freesat with correct pointers to the transponders containing the channels, plus the fact that there are no local signal reception differences as everyone can receive the same transponders reliably all over the UK and Ireland (assuming adequate dish is used). The terrestrial environment is much more complex in that there are localised relay stations as well as the main transmitters.

then in that case your transmitter does NOT support ABM, it looks you need to using a REAL transmitter and not a repeater. looks like repeater will not be supported by ABM, as ABM can not get gather the needed information, but i am sure PeterJ can clarify.

Joe_90
03-06-14, 01:34
then in that case your transmitter does NOT support ABM, it looks you need to using a REAL transmitter and not a repeater. looks like repeater will not be supported by ABM, as ABM can not get gather the needed information, but i am sure PeterJ can clarify.
@andyblac - I don't know what you mean by REAL transmitter vs repeater. The exact same data is present on all transmitters - main and relays. Have you any examples of Saorview transmitters working under ABM? What set of processes does ABM undertake to extract the relevant information for lamedb and the bouquet? If I knew this, then we could work on the Saorview network people to improve the quality of the data in the longer term. As far as I can see, ABM is 90% there as regards the Irish DVB-T system. It's storing the bouquet information with the correct channel numbers (LCNs) and the channel names are correct. It's just the tuning frequency that is wrong as it's using the NIT frequency instead of the frequency stored in the xml - so a workaround might be possible, maybe? In the Freeview system you provide the initial main BBC1 transmitter frequency in the xml and then ABM derives the corresponding multiplex frequencies from the NIT (or maybe BAT if it is present)? The Saorview system is much simpler in that there are only two multiplexes per transmitter and those frequencies are published data - I can probably provide an xml file such as the one Peterj suggested earlier with all the RTENL transmitter frequencies included, if it would help.

Is the Python source code for ABM available on a git repository? Maybe I could have a look at it to see how it extracts the info from the stream data. I've done a lot of analysis of the Saorview stream data for the Irish boards members over the years.

Larry-G
03-06-14, 01:40
Is the Python source code for ABM available on a git repository? Maybe I could have a look at it to see how it extracts the info from the stream data. I've done a lot of analysis of the Saorview stream data for the Irish boards members over the years.

All of the source code for ABM is available here.

https://github.com/oe-alliance/oe-alliance-plugins/tree/master/AutoBouquetsMaker

Peterj
03-06-14, 06:51
ABM uses a home channel frequency to scan NIT and SDT for all transponder and all channel information. For most DVB-S and DVB-C providers this works.
DVB-T is different. There is no 'home channel'. It depends on receiving signal from main transmitter or from a repeater.
Therefor you must know each frequency to scan, for each transmitter/repeater.
Also when you know one of the correct frequency to scan, you only get transponder and channel information in NIT and SDT for that specific frequency. When there are 2 transponders, you must know 2 frequencies to scan.

I think it is possible to use ABM for all DVB-T providers, only there must be an XML line with freq. info etc for each transmitter/transmitter for each transponder. Not 1 XML line for 1 provider in 1 region, like DVB-C.
ABM should be modified when in case DVB-T is scanned, don't use frequency stored in NIT, but use frequency as in XML for that transponder and use only information from NIT and SDT of that specific transponder (in case more info is in NIT).

Joe_90
03-06-14, 08:43
ABM uses a home channel frequency to scan NIT and SDT for all transponder and all channel information. For most DVB-S and DVB-C providers this works.
DVB-T is different. There is no 'home channel'. It depends on receiving signal from main transmitter or from a repeater.
Therefor you must know each frequency to scan, for each transmitter/repeater.
Also when you know one of the correct frequency to scan, you only get transponder and channel information in NIT and SDT for that specific frequency. When there are 2 transponders, you must know 2 frequencies to scan.

I think it is possible to use ABM for all DVB-T providers, only there must be an XML line with freq. info etc for each transmitter/transmitter for each transponder. Not 1 XML line for 1 provider in 1 region, like DVB-C.
ABM should be modified when in case DVB-T is scanned, don't use frequency stored in NIT, but use frequency as in XML for that transponder and use only information from NIT and SDT of that specific transponder (in case more info is in NIT).

@Peterj - I think that we are probably in agreement about the issue, then. What makes the DVB-S simpler is the presence of the BAT (Bouquet Association Table) which lists all the transponders belonging to a bouquet and from there you can work out all the channel service IDs etc.
Are you saying, though, that this issue about DVB-T is a general one and that it is happening in the UK Freeview system also? I have no way of scanning a UK terrestrial transmitter, nor can I scan DVB-C, so I cannot comment on the content of the data streams. I thought, perhaps, that ABM was working ok for Freeview but that the tuning/frequency issue was a problem in the Irish Saorview DVB-T system? I see that you are located in the Nertherlands and you may not have direct experience of ABM on UK Freeview.

Joe_90
03-06-14, 11:02
@Peterj, @andyblac - just for avoidance of doubt. I have tuned to UHF channel 30 (546MHz) and UHF channel 33 (570MHz) which are the two multiplexes carried on the main transmitter (Three Rock mountain) for the Dublin Area. I don't use this normally as the signal is marginal for me. Included in the zip file is my current lamedb and NIT dumps for 546 and 570MHz. As far as I can see this confirms my view that the main and relay transmitters all contain the same set of tuning information which as we can see is not reliable enough. There are 12 main high-power transmitters and about 52 lower-power relays serving the country, so a table with 64x2 entries would cover the entire Saorview network. The main transmitters are named after the mountain where they are located and the relays are well-defined geographic locations so users should be able to identify their local transmitter relatively easily.

Joe_90
03-06-14, 13:43
@Peterj - Is the set of parameters used in the xml files associated with ABM described anywhere? For example "modulation", "system", "transmission mode". For example, in the standard terrestrial.xml file "transmission mode" is set to 1 to indicate 8k mode (or 2 for auto) and lamedb uses 3 for 8k mode (or 0 for auto). The example you posted earlier for Saorview uses 6 for "transmission mode". What would be useful would be an example list of the various parameters and their values in the header of the xml file, similar to the standard terrestrial.xml file.

andyblac
03-06-14, 13:44
imo, the whole point of ABM to scan for the transponders, having to supply ABM a xml with a list is pointless and NOT what ABM is for, for me i use Pontop Pike transmitter and abm scans this and find all (sd) transponders fine, and creates the bouquets to tune, imo ABM should only tune and scan ONE frequency to find all necessary info, if this can't be done from a transmitter that transmitter imo should not be supported.

i see no need to duplicate xml for abm as the original terestrial.xml as that should all the transponders listed for a given transmitter to scan.

Joe_90
03-06-14, 15:02
imo, the whole point of ABM to scan for the transponders, having to supply ABM a xml with a list is pointless and NOT what ABM is for, for me i use Pontop Pike transmitter and abm scans this and find all (sd) transponders fine, and creates the bouquets to tune, imo ABM should only tune and scan ONE frequency to find all necessary info, if this can't be done from a transmitter that transmitter imo should not be supported.

i see no need to duplicate xml for abm as the original terestrial.xml as that should all the transponders listed for a given transmitter to scan.
I was just about to post what I found when I tried @Peterj's suggestion of two frequency entries in the xml file. This doesn't work because two entries in the xml gives you the option of scanning one or another multiplexes, but not both.
I'm inclined to agree with you that listing all the multiplexes (transponders) in the terrestrial xml is not the way forward as it would create a maintenance workload. However, in the short term, ABM is not going to work in the Saorview network due to the lack of linked multiplex data in the NIT and the absence of BAT. I think for the Irish combo terrestrial and satellite environment that the E2 autobouquets might be an easier option as it allows a seamless list of terrestrial channels at the top followed by the satellite channels. Probably not worth hacking ABM to cope with the deficiencies of Saorview:(
If you have time at some stage I would like to see a dvbsnoop scan of your Pontop Pike transmitter similar to the ones I've provided. I'd like to be able to compare the NIT (and BAT info if provided).

abu baniaz
03-06-14, 16:52
I was just about to post what I found when I tried @Peterj's suggestion of two frequency entries in the xml file. This doesn't work because two entries in the xml gives you the option of scanning one or another
There is no scanning involved in ABM. It does not matter whether one transponder has x number chanenls and another has y number of channels. So long as the details of all the services are available on any one of them.

Just to expand.... Hypothetically, a faulty LNB has no problem with the pre-programmed transponder for ABM sat, all other transponders/quadrants are unavailable. Running ABM will result in the channel details being written to the receiver. The fact that the chanenls are not avbailable to the receiver because of the faulty LNB does not matter to ABM. Yes you will have lots of tune failed issues, but ABM will still function.

I'd suggest that if the data is available on all transmitters, then the user should select the one that is near them.

Joe_90
03-06-14, 17:51
There is no scanning involved in ABM. It does not matter whether one transponder has x number chanenls and another has y number of channels. So long as the details of all the services are available on any one of them.

Just to expand.... Hypothetically, a faulty LNB has no problem with the pre-programmed transponder for ABM sat, all other transponders/quadrants are unavailable. Running ABM will result in the channel details being written to the receiver. The fact that the chanenls are not avbailable to the receiver because of the faulty LNB does not matter to ABM. Yes you will have lots of tune failed issues, but ABM will still function.

I'd suggest that if the data is available on all transmitters, then the user should select the one that is near them.

@abu - this is DVB-T not DVB-S (or C). When I refer to "scanning" I'm talking about ABM reading the service list in the "home" or primary mutiplex and deriving the other channels from that. It is not functioning as anticipated in the Irish DVB-T system because there is no reference to the correct frequency to tune for the additional services contained in the NIT. There is just a collection of "other" transmitter multiplex frequencies which are incomplete and incorrect. I'm afraid you would need to read back through the thread to find the relevant info and NIT dumps etc. @Peterj understands the issue but it's a matter for the devs to decide if it's worth hacking a solution to deal with a deficiency in SI data in the Saorview DVB-T system. I'm actually looking for a NIT dump of a Freeview BBC multiplex to compare with what I have for Saorview.

mcquaim
05-06-14, 18:17
@abu - this is DVB-T not DVB-S (or C). When I refer to "scanning" I'm talking about ABM reading the service list in the "home" or primary mutiplex and deriving the other channels from that. It is not functioning as anticipated in the Irish DVB-T system because there is no reference to the correct frequency to tune for the additional services contained in the NIT. There is just a collection of "other" transmitter multiplex frequencies which are incomplete and incorrect. I'm afraid you would need to read back through the thread to find the relevant info and NIT dumps etc. @Peterj understands the issue but it's a matter for the devs to decide if it's worth hacking a solution to deal with a deficiency in SI data in the Saorview DVB-T system. I'm actually looking for a NIT dump of a Freeview BBC multiplex to compare with what I have for Saorview.

I meant to post this for you the other day, totally slipped my mind...

Joe_90
05-06-14, 22:25
I meant to post this for you the other day, totally slipped my mind...

Cool'y'r'what! Cheers mcquaim!

mcquaim
05-06-14, 22:36

Everything you need in that?

Let me know if you need it ran again on a different channel or anything..

judge
06-06-14, 01:05

@fat-tony (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/member.php?63464-fat-tony) have you looked at your PM's recently?

Larry-G
06-06-14, 02:02

@fat-tony any chance you can read the PM Andyblac sent you a couple of days ago and let us know your reply ?. Thanks (Just incase you have not noticed you had a PM).

Joe_90
06-06-14, 11:23
Just checked now - apologies had not noticed the indicator. Have replied in the affirmative!

Larry-G
06-06-14, 11:50
Just checked now - apologies had not noticed the indicator. Have replied in the affirmative!

Much appreciated buddy.

finbarr
03-07-14, 11:04
Late to the party here, but let me know if you guys need my help at all.

1) Manufacture and model of Box: Vu+ Duo2
2) type of tuner and make and model of tuner: Sony PlayTV dual tuner, tuned to Irish Saorview DVB-T.
3) Country and area in country: Ireland, aerial pointed to the Maghera transmitter.

I created my own xml for the Maghera transmitter, and it always works well for me (when doing an Automatic Scan, haven't tried anything with ABM yet):

<terrestrial name="Maghera(Ireland) (Europe DVB-T)" flags="5">
<transponder centre_frequency="690000000" bandwidth="0" constellation="3" guard_interval="4" transmission_mode="2" hierarchy_information="4" inversion="2" />
<transponder centre_frequency="746000000" bandwidth="0" constellation="3" guard_interval="4" transmission_mode="2" hierarchy_information="4" inversion="2" />
</terrestrial>

Joe_90
03-07-14, 11:58
@finbarr - Maghera is already in the standard terrestrial.xml file, although it's at the very end! See below. ABM seems to have issues with HD bouquets in Freeviw, but should be fine with SD from Maghera. ABM doesn't work at all with Saorview, though, due to non-standard settings within the NIT.

<terrestrial name="Maghera (Ireland) (Europe DVB-T)" flags="5">
<transponder centre_frequency="690000000" bandwidth="0" constellation="3" guard_interval="4" transmission_mode="2" hierarchy_information="4" inversion="2" />
<transponder centre_frequency="746000000" bandwidth="0" constellation="3" guard_interval="4" transmission_mode="2" hierarchy_information="4" inversion="2" />
</terrestrial>

finbarr
03-07-14, 12:24
@finbarr - Maghera is already in the standard terrestrial.xml file, although it's at the very end!

I know. I was the person who submitted it to Andy! ;)

Joe_90
03-07-14, 13:50
It's been there for weeks. The way you posted there gave the impression that you had to create your own version just recently because it wasn't in the file. Crossed wires ;)