PDA

View Full Version : vu+duo Revision 2.3 V's first edition when just came on the market for sale ?

BRAVEHEART
18-04-14, 03:59
As the title says "what or is there any difference with the first original vu+duo's compared to the Revision 2.3 version ? :confused:

Just something I have been wondering about, that's all if someone knows.

Rob van der Does
18-04-14, 06:01
Not really; only changed numbers for components not being available any more.

BRAVEHEART
18-04-14, 17:57
Not really; only changed numbers for components not being available any more.

Components you say, wouldn't happen to be the cap and regulator that tends to blow on these boxes and give the red light on display problem would it ?

Rob van der Does
18-04-14, 18:02

Components you say, wouldn't happen to be the cap and regulator that tends to blow on these boxes and give the red light on display problem would it ?
I don't know. But possible: I have the very first revision, and no capacitor has ever been changed.

BRAVEHEART
18-04-14, 18:21
I don't know. But possible: I have the very first revision, and no capacitor has ever been changed.

be handy to know if anyone knows please ???

Mines is the first Revision too and it now has the Red light issue and I am struggling to get a person to repair it and I aint going to back street Tv repair shops as they tend to rob you before you even walk in the door, plus the fact that its so cheap nowdays to buy a genuine cheap model or even a Clone better model (although I don't like clones and I know we don't like them on here either), but still, you have to think to yourself about how much to pay on a repair V's the cost of a new cheap model box, know what I mean ?

abu baniaz
18-04-14, 20:55
Many people have performed DIY repairs. Give it a go if you feel brave enough.

nsw9154
18-04-14, 21:15
i had thought of buying a Duo (spares or repair) that only probably needed the cap replacing from ebay but would not take the chance with so many clones about

so i bought a new Solo2 original

micscave
20-04-14, 01:51
My Duo is a 2.3V and my cap went. Very cheap & very easy to repair though.

Larry-G
20-04-14, 05:44
The v2.3 Duo was released nearly two years ago, so it had nothing to do with the infamous cap issue, Vu+ have since ( in the last year or so ) released a new mother board revision that does away with those caps in favor for surface mounted versions, specifically to fix this issue.

as rob says the change in revision number for the Duo is primarily just as and when they had to source new parts, when others became unavailable, The only real change came with the original V1 boxes that could not wake from standby for recordings.

I my self had a V1.3 and V2.3 Duo and both are still working perfectly fine, albeit in relatives houses now rather than my own.

BRAVEHEART
20-04-14, 20:58
The v2.3 Duo was released nearly two years ago, so it had nothing to do with the infamous cap issue, Vu+ have since ( in the last year or so ) released a new mother board revision that does away with those caps in favor for surface mounted versions, specifically to fix this issue.

as rob says the change in revision number for the Duo is primarily just as and when they had to source new parts, when others became unavailable, The only real change came with the original V1 boxes that could not wake from standby for recordings.

I my self had a V1.3 and V2.3 Duo and both are still working perfectly fine, albeit in relatives houses now rather than my own.

Thanks mate,
What are the new versions of the VU's have the new model motherboards that you quoted here ( Vu+ have since ( in the last year or so ) released a new mother board revision that does away with those caps in favor for surface mounted versions, specifically to fix this issue) ?

Please let me know, cheers :)

p.s
to people saying that I should try a DIY repair myself, I did replace the cap with the correct recommended upgraded higher voltage cap, but because I am not any expert or far from it with a soldering iron, I do not have a clue if the new cap is in properly or not, but it didn't fix the problem anyway, but as I say, maybe or maybe not the new cap is soldered in properly, I had to take the motherboard out etc to do it as that is the recommended way (and I knew what leg is positive and negative etc too and which way round to put it in).

After that if its not a fault with the new cap then it normally (not always) means that a regulator that is situated next to the mentioned cap has also blown (cant remember the number on the board off the top of my head but I know which one it is).

Well I bought a brand new genuine Regulator too anyway, but when I had a look at the work involved and as I am a total amateur at this type of job then I have no chance at all, if you don't believe me then have a look yourselves and you will see what I mean, the regulator is so small that you would need a high powered magnifying Lens with very bright light, and even at that there are no solder points I can see, only tracks inside the actual board, so it aint as easy as you may think if you are unlucky enough to get this problem like I have. Just saying :)

Larry-G
20-04-14, 21:05
best speak to the sponsor after the Easter break, the alterations as far as i'm aware was just to replace three capacitors, I did see a photo but but no longer have it.

BRAVEHEART
20-04-14, 21:17
best speak to the sponsor after the Easter break, the alterations as far as i'm aware was just to replace three capacitors, I did see a photo but but no longer have it.

ok cheers, well hopefully he see's this post when he gets back as it would be handy for us all to know :)

This box I have is bought from Original sponsor of this site back in the day they first got released, that's if its still the same guy, if so I know who it is, strange though as my account says I have no previous purchased items, maybe they take them off after the warranty period or something, I dunno, hmmm :confused: , lol , anyways :)

Larry-G
20-04-14, 22:27
The forum had a different sponsor at the very beginning so its possible you purchased from him rather than our current sponsor.

cactikid
21-04-14, 00:14
no idea if any good post 37 & 38

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?26743-Dead-Vu-Duo-repair-guide/page4