PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo2] Watching DLNA Media (MKV etc.) on Duo2 - please help

chumley
17-04-14, 09:22
Hi All,

I got my hands on a Duo2 from WoS yesterday and currently going through setting it up.

I cannot figure out how I can view MKV media files from my existing media server on the Duo2, I have tried DLNAbrowser but it only shows me Xvid files - can somebody help me?

Thanks

Maxwell
17-04-14, 09:33
forget the DLNA and set up your existing media server as a share, instructions are in the guides section

IAmATeaf
17-04-14, 09:53
Native DNLA doens't support files of type MKV. You can get software like PS3 media server and other software that can transcode MKV file on the fly but your media server needs to be quite beefy and forget trying to skip forwards or back.

As pointed out above just share the drive/folder out and get box to connect to the share, you can then simply select the MKV and the box will play it. Not as pretty as a normal DNLA client granted.

chumley
17-04-14, 11:12
Thanks Maxwell - Just for clarification:

1) would I be setting up a network share of the folders I want visible?
or
2) is there a way to redirect the media server stream to a network share?

My media server is Twonky (if that helps)

Thanks IamATeaf - Yeah I thought something like that might work but as you point out it's not pretty

IAmATeaf
17-04-14, 14:05
Twonky is a DNLA server which for MKV files can't be used as far as I know.

It does all depend on your NAS or media server box but what you need to do is create a top level share that shares out the folder where all your media files are. I also tend to create a username and password and then allocate permissions on the share for this user.

You then need to get the sat box to connect to that share, for a windows type share select CIFS, enter the other options requested including a username and password and hopefully the box should now be able to browse the contents of the share.

Maxwell has done a step by step here so take a look and report back http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?15974-How-To-Setting-up-Windows-Network-Share

Trial
17-04-14, 18:59
Hi,

However TwonkyManager can STREAM the following file formats:
Music: MP3, WMA, WAV, 3GP, M4A, MP4, LPCM, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, MP2, AC3, MPA, MP1, AIF
Photo: JPEG, PNG, TIF, BMP
Video: MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG2-TS, MPEG4, AVI, WMV, VOB, DivX, 3GP, VDR, ASF, MPE, DVR-MS, Xvid, MKV, M4V

ciao

chumley
17-04-14, 20:07
Thanks IAmATeaf - I'll check out the guide and let you know how I get on.

Twonky is quite robust it streams anything (i've got XBMC on iPad and Showtime on the PS3) so I know the MKVs are fine on it, I just wanted a one stop solution in the Duo2.

chumley
18-04-14, 22:58
Added a share and tested a 1080p mkv - playback seemed fine.

Is there a way to configure mounts without using the remote / box menu? - i.e. something I can edit on pc then ftp across?

judge
18-04-14, 23:13
Have a look at /etc/fstab or /etc/auto.network but unless you know what you're doing, it really is easier to use the box to set-up network mounts.

Walt
20-04-14, 02:27
I have same box and find it easier to ftp the file to hard drive/movie and it'll then be with your normal recordings ready for playback.

Sent from outer space using intergalactic carrier pigeon