PDA

View Full Version : A Worrying Development with new clones

nsw9154
12-04-14, 18:00
as the heading says a VERY Worrying Development with the new batch of clones

apparently they are able to run the new ZEUS Image even 23 :eek: and they are looking more like ORIGINALS all the time a bit worrying to say the least

apart from buying from Reputable Dealers like World of Sat, the every day punter who knows nothing about them will get Stung

and the suppliers of theis Boxes even RECOMMEND ZEUS as the BEST image to install :eek: they are advertising openly on ebay so any one who dose a search for a Solo2 say no more

regards norm

lennyirl
13-04-14, 10:16
BOught one myself last week from a bricks and mortar shop, I'll be putting a harddrive in it tomorrow. is there any inside of it that will show its genuine, I don't have any doubt it is a clone, but I am opening it up anyway

pooface
13-04-14, 10:46
BOught one myself last week from a bricks and mortar shop, I'll be putting a harddrive in it tomorrow. is there any inside of it that will show its genuine, I don't have any doubt it is a clone, but I am opening it up anyway

Some bricks and mortar shops and known satellite shops were found to be selling clone duos a while back iirc from the UK distributor for vu+ in UK... One reason to use the site sponsor!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Larry-G
13-04-14, 11:31
The simple way ahead is to only buy from known reputable retailers such as the sponsor, he did not get his hard won reputation over night, and after all support from a reputable supplier does not end after the receiver has left his possession, but from the sellers of clones it most certainly does.

nsw9154
13-04-14, 12:18
i did not buy my solo2 from the sponsors because originally i wanted a Gigablue Quad but wos did not have them in stock, so i ordered one from a supplier in Finland but after i placed my order i was told that they where also out of stock and did not know when they would be geting replacements
obviously because they had been discontinued so i ordered the solo2 instead and paid the difference, i was lucky as it was an Original Solo2 and they are like wos a Reputable Dealer and they do not sell clones, i suppose that i was Lucky as i knew nothing about thees boxes and could have so easily been stung myself :eek:

regards norm

seame
13-04-14, 12:29
I think one way of stopping the clones is for VU and DMM to stop over charging for their products, I think the RRP they set is far to much for what is on offer.

Thats my Sunday morning rant over!

marty
13-04-14, 12:33
I think one way of stopping the clones is for VU and DMM to stop over charging for their products, I think the RRP they set is far to much for what is on offer.

Thats my Sunday morning rant over!

Won't make much difference, most people who have clones pay the full price!!!!!!! not realising the dodgy dealers are getting them direct from china for 50-60 quid :p

Maxwell
13-04-14, 12:36
Personally don't think that VU are that overpriced - its not just manufacturing costs that have to be taken into account, fortunes are spent on R&D and initial production of prototypes, tooling for injection moulding of plastic parts costs in the region of 20-30k per tool. All these costs have to be recouped somehow.

And don't forget that 15 years ago you could spend up to £2.5k on a top line analogue receiver.

nsw9154
13-04-14, 13:19
Personally don't think that VU are that overpriced - its not just manufacturing costs that have to be taken into account, fortunes are spent on R&D and initial production of prototypes, tooling for injection moulding of plastic parts costs in the region of 20-30k per tool. All these costs have to be recouped somehow.

And don't forget that 15 years ago you could spend up to £2.5k on a top line analogue receiver.

you have got it in 1 Maxwell i payed over £600 for a Stereo not even nicam Sanyo Betamax Video recorder in 1990 :eek: and i thought that was cheep for that day's Technology as the Sony Betamax that i wanted was about £1,500 : :eek::)

gordyboy
13-04-14, 13:22
I bought my duo years ago from the sponsor. Fully fitted with hard drive, image and as I needed a new dish and lnb got a very good deal.

Quality service

seame
14-04-14, 05:41
I don't doubt there is a lot of costs in producing a box from scratch but other manufacturers do it and charge a lot less than vu. My opinion is consumers are paying more for the name than the product, but that's for another day.

Can the vix or Zues images be copyrighted in some way that it would at least stop these guys from recommending the image on counterfeit goods? It won't stop the clones but might save someone from buying one that they think is an original.

Rob van der Does
14-04-14, 06:13
I don't doubt there is a lot of costs in producing a box from scratch but other manufacturers do it and charge a lot less than vu. My opinion is consumers are paying more for the name than the product, but that's for another day.
Just buy what you think is fine for you.

Can the vix or Zues images be copyrighted in some way that it would at least stop these guys from recommending the image on counterfeit goods? It won't stop the clones but might save someone from buying one that they think is an original.
Open Source & Copyright don't go together too well (although it is possible).
But even if we did: why would it stop anyone from making a recommendation to use ViX?

barry2012
14-04-14, 07:09
Gumtrees the best place for people getting scammed to be honist i fell in that hole meself,,, like the bloke
who Bought an XBOX when he got the delivery he got a box with an X on it lol Its true Aswell that was on Ebay
He did say he wanted an Xbox

Stanman
14-04-14, 17:42
Other manufacturers have economy's of scale you can charge £20 and sell 10,000,000 but if you can only sell 10, 000 you need to charge more.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

seame
14-04-14, 18:07
Open Source & Copyright don't go together too well (although it is possible).
But even if we did: why would it stop anyone from making a recommendation to use ViX?

I don't know if it would stop them, its just an idea. It won't stop the Chinese or whoever makes them but if legitimate businesses are selling them and recommend using the vix software them copywriting the image may be able to put a stop to that, as I said I don't know how it works it was just an thought.

Larry-G
14-04-14, 18:18
To be honest we have no issue with genuine retailers using the ViX image, but i personally do not agree with the tactic some retailers are currently using, where they are supplying unofficial ViX images, for hardware we dont support be they legitimate or clones, this in my opinion is coning their customers into thinking that we will offer support for their new box, only to come across as the bad guys when we tell them that we wont offer support.

satcat
15-04-14, 07:21
Seen a few clones of the solo2 are failing already !! Hardware issues as well .!! There u go,take your chance.......regards satcat

StuBFrost
15-04-14, 07:52
What makes a clone box a clone ? By this I mean is it made in the same factory as the real box using the same parts or is it just the box looks like the real box but doesn't have the same inside bits ?

Rob van der Does
15-04-14, 08:28
A clone is any box trying to look and act like a genuine box. Especially using the same drivers is a clear indication of the intention to produce a clone.
It makes no difference who actually makes the clone.

StuBFrost
15-04-14, 10:41
So is the hardware generic and it is the drivers that make a clone appear to be a specific model?

Sicilian
15-04-14, 10:44
So is the hardware generic and it is the drivers that make a clone appear to be a specific model?

No the hardware in clones is NOT the same as a genuine.

StuBFrost
15-04-14, 10:45
Sorry, I meant do all clones have the same hardware and it's the drivers that make them behave like specific models ?

nsw9154
15-04-14, 11:22
the specific clone that i originally posted about makes a Special point about using certain ORIGINAL PARTS that allows it to use the Official Vix ZEUS software

norm

Rob van der Does
15-04-14, 12:02
A clone is a 'Chinese copy' of an existing device. One of the clear elements of indeed being a clone is the simple fact that drivers form the original device are being used. Any manufacturer making/creating his own device would surely make his own drivers.

Rob van der Does
15-04-14, 12:04
the specific clone that i originally posted about makes a Special point about using certain ORIGINAL PARTS that allows it to use the Official Vix ZEUS software
That would imply that the cloners have done a good job (if that's what you can call cloning at all).

barry2012
31-10-14, 19:34
Problem is when the people selling these clones ie:- Chinese besides the obviouse theres something more important
that is most people go to bed leaving there clone box on if the electrics are dodgy as there made in none uk countries
is it worth your childs life chinese are cloning xray equipment meant for dentist all they care about is money